PDA

View Full Version : UK AAIB (H) Aug 2013

Hilico
12th Aug 2013, 08:53
Student lifting R22 into first solo, a/c yaws and rolls right ending up on its side, no injury here. (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/august_2013/robinson_r22_beta__g_erom_.cfm)

R44 loses control on the ground, slippery surface? here. (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/august_2013/robinson_r44_ii_raven_ii__g_mrry_.cfm)

Fly safe

Steve

stringfellow
12th Aug 2013, 22:38
As regards the r22 accident can anyone tell me what the fascination is with going solo so early. The guy had 24 hours total time and month after month we keep reading about r22s rolling over on student first solos. In my humble opinion 24 hours is not enough to gain the rapid footwork and co ordination required.

Whats the hurry?? The poor guy got caught out it was clearly too early for him.

firebird_uk
12th Aug 2013, 23:31
Interesting that the yaw on the 44 was to the left. I'd attribute that to a depressed left pedal and not a slippery surface (and I'm sure Sir Isaac would side with me).

chopjock
13th Aug 2013, 20:23
In my humble opinion 24 hours is not enough to gain the rapid footwork and co ordination required.

I did my first solo in an R22 at ten hours :8

parasite drag
13th Aug 2013, 20:54
"I did my first solo in an R22 at ten hours http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif"

Same here, but the subject has already been done to death on PPRUNE :=

Perhaps 24 hours was not enough for the guy in question, but we're all different.PD

FSXPilot
13th Aug 2013, 21:11
Idiot in the R22 should've been looking out the window not staring at a gauge.

stringfellow
13th Aug 2013, 22:48
You may have gone solo at ten hours my point is why??? and to what end???
Like its been said its been hammered to death my point is going solo early achieves nothing but putting our insurance premiums up. Say what you want rolling it over on first solo can happen in a heartbeat, you certainly don't have to be an idiot for it to happen.
I distinctly remember it took me 14 hours to happily hover taxi round a field, happily means being able to do it and talk to the instructor, not be a sweating silent wreck.

Aucky
14th Aug 2013, 06:27
I know a few schools (and taught at one) where there is a pre-requisite minimum of 25hrs before solo, and a good thing in my opinion. Yes, some people could probably safely solo before this time, but everyone including the student felt all the more comfortable from covering sloping ground, EOL's, PFL's, emergencies in the circuit including downwind auto's from 500' & on the climb out, sideways and backwards flight. As well as this additional handling time, someone who is new to aviation takes at least this much time to truly interpret any situational awareness of others in the circuit and on the radio. They have not had a student solo accident to my knowledge, ever. If someone was particularly keen to try and solo in less, then personally I'd be wary of their attitude. Staying alive is key, and moving a few exercises to pre-solo doesn't cost them any more, they just have less to complete later in the course :ok: