PDA

View Full Version : A 21st Century MEAF?

hoodie
8th Aug 2013, 20:22
From today's Torygraph website (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/bahrain/10230954/Britains-old-friends-in-the-Gulf-are-luring-us-east-of-Suez-once-more.html):

If a deal can be agreed – and detailed negotiations have been under way for more than a year – then the six states (Saudi Arabia, Oman, the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait) would sign a multi-billion-pound contract to buy Typhoons and military equipment. In return, those countries would like to see Britain strengthen its military ties, with a permanent garrison of troops and an RAF combat squadron stationed in the Gulf.

Wensleydale
8th Aug 2013, 20:27
8 Squadron back to Aden? (would have to "capture" Khormaksar first though).

fantom
8th Aug 2013, 20:28
Excuse me.

smujsmith
8th Aug 2013, 22:15
Sounds very like the set up posture we all adopted for GW1. At least it would give our servicemen somewhere to serve outside of the UK.

Smudge

glad rag
8th Aug 2013, 22:38
Sounds very like the set up posture we all adopted for GW1. At least it would give our servicemen somewhere to serve outside of the UK.

Smudge

I'll bet they just can't wait..........:yuk:

althenick
8th Aug 2013, 22:46

Smudge

...And I suspect that unless they rotate the squadron personnel regularly the retention stats in the Typhoon community will take a nose-dive. I dare say that there will be no end of volunteers for F35 Squadrons though. Hmmmm - thinking about it could this be a ruse by the RAF to take over FAA Fixed wing :E

air pig
8th Aug 2013, 22:54
What about 4 Squadron?

5 Forward 6 Back
8th Aug 2013, 23:12
Althenick, my chums in the Typhoon world tell me that retention's already nose diving... it can't nose dive further than it already is, so they may as well base a squadron in Saudi!

Bob Viking
9th Aug 2013, 00:26
The big problem with having a ME based Sqn is how to persuade a bloke to fly Typhoon for the RAF when he could do the same job for BAE and earn a fortune.
The only way it'll work is if it is in a highly desirable location to offset the pay.
So lets all standby for a Sqn based at Some isolated desert poophole then shall we?!
BV

glad rag
9th Aug 2013, 10:41
The big problem with having a ME based Sqn is how to persuade a bloke to fly Typhoon for the RAF when he could do the same job for BAE and earn a fortune.
The only way it'll work is if it is in a highly desirable location to offset the pay.
So lets all standby for a Sqn based at Some isolated desert poophole then shall we?!
BV

Yep, I think most guys will run more that a mile than go back there, willingly, as a "home" posting for 2-3 years.....:ugh:

teeteringhead
9th Aug 2013, 11:30
as a "home" posting for 2-3 years..... nahhhh! For a real MEAF posting, it would have to be 13 months unaccompanied, with no e-mail, bluies, mobiles, Skype (other web-based communications are available) or R 'n' R, just a month's LUKFREE after 6 months.

And a UK postal strike if you're really lucky!

An' yer tell that to t' young folk o' today ...... an' they'll not believe yer!! ;)

blaireau
9th Aug 2013, 11:32
Masirah would be nice. I have fond memories of the salt water showers. Anyone remember the television room?

Evalu8ter
9th Aug 2013, 11:38
With a 'permanent garrison of troops' there might be a RW element too, not just FJ...

Bismark
9th Aug 2013, 11:54
Looks like someone in the higher ups looking for an expeditionary role post Afghanistan. Otherwise, with the exception of those embarked in the QE Class there will be little reason for the RAF to depart these shores.

Pin out, standing back!

Blacksheep
9th Aug 2013, 12:05
At least it would give our servicemen somewhere to serve outside of the UK.I think they would prefer Changi. ;)

Melchett01
9th Aug 2013, 12:06
Looking at the Sqn history, 28 has spent most of its time overseas either in the Middle or Far East. They'd no doubt feel quite at home.

As for where, my Qatar, Bahrain or Kenya would seem to tie in with our existing footprints and strategic interests (appreciating that Kenya is probably a bit further away than the UAE would like!)

Pontius Navigator
9th Aug 2013, 12:09
Masirah would be nice. I have fond memories of the salt water showers. Anyone remember the television room?

Indeed, and the movies run by those impacably dressed and wearing white hats.

Wensleydale
9th Aug 2013, 12:14
Excuse me.

What about 4 Squadron?

Get a grip chaps and learn your RAF history... there is (and always was) only one Aden squadron and that is No 8 (continual service there from 1927 until 1967 when British forces left, except for a few months flying Liberators in Far East in 1945.

cokecan
9th Aug 2013, 13:17
the previous CDS was thinking along similar lines with the concept of a 'regional Bde' - one of the Army's Multi-Role Bde's being permanenttly home based out there.

Saudi wasn't the destination of choice, but Barhain or Qatar were considered runners.

without wishing to ebark on a round of Crab-bashing, if RAF Typhoon pilots would leave so they could do the 'same job' with BA for more money, then i'd suggest that the RAF is recruiting the wrong people to fly its fast jets...

Melchett01
9th Aug 2013, 13:25
cokecan,

You're right up to a point, but it's not just about recruiting and getting people in the door. It's also about retaining and the factors that attract a young and eager 19/20 year old are often 180 degrees out from those that will retain that same individual 20 years down the line when family and stability considerations come to the fore.

Making an assumption that you are Army, it's not that dissimilar to the guys leaving the service and going on to the Circuit - changed personal circumstances and market forces.

Bob Viking
9th Aug 2013, 13:30
Cokecan.
I'm pretty sure we covered this in a different thread a couple of weeks ago but I'll humour you. You can pretend all you like that you (or members of the other services is what I believe you're implying) are as pure as the driven snow and motivated purely by loyalty to your Queen and country. However, the cold, hard truth is that if you were offered a salary four times what you are currently on with no secondary duties and shorter work hours even you would be hard pushed to refuse.
Now we're not talking about guys fresh out of TW here. We're talking about a guy who has done a tour or two and has completed his RoS.
You try to recruit someone who wouldn't be tempted by the money and then let us all know your secret.
BV

Evalu8ter
9th Aug 2013, 13:52
BV,
Exactly - and doubtless not retention positive for 3rd or 4th Tourists. Now, if it's done properly (accompanied tours with full facilities & a decent allowances package) I can see it being attractive for a number of the newer guys not worn out by the TELIC/HERRICK treadmill.

Bismark,
Nice hook....though as the majority of the forces settle back into the UK post-HERRICK the overseas exercise plot (particularly I'd suggest jungle/arctic) and tactical training (EW & counter air) will need to step up to regenerate the capabilities that have atrophied, to an extent, over the past decade. There will still be plenty to go round - the need for QEC is well stated and obvious (though I sense the CAG will be somewhat smaller than hoped...) as is the need for getting FJ/AAR/AT/SH to a Theatre quickly (ie hours not days....) to react quickly if HNS is available. Having permanent assets in the ME is sensible if that is where the FO see our future strategic dependencies being; it's also a lot safer and cheaper than keeping a CBG in the NAG......

Tankertrashnav
9th Aug 2013, 15:15
Wasn't it AFME?

IIRC the sequence (West to East) went:

NEAF
AFME
FEAF

Excuse me.

208 wasn't there when I was at Khormaksar, but 43 were there - I remember their cocks.

(As no doubt the very few single girls who were around do ;)).

NutLoose
9th Aug 2013, 15:39
but 43 were there - I remember their cocks

Whatever floats your boat :}

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Aug 2013, 16:12
IIRC, Masirah belongs to 23 Squadron. They won it off the Staish in a game of carpet bowls and have the paperwork to prove it! ;)

Wensleydale
9th Aug 2013, 17:38
IIRC, Masirah belongs to 23 Squadron. They won it off the Staish in a game of
carpet bowls and have the paperwork to prove it!

Seems like a good move by the Staish to get rid of 23 Sqn to Masirah - they are welcome to it.

ricardian
9th Aug 2013, 18:38
Not only Masirah but Riyan, Ras Al Khaima, Sharjah and Salalah. Not forgetting Muharraq. But definitely not Khormaksar!

RodfjH
12th Aug 2013, 13:14
Yes, I was sucked into that one too!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
12th Aug 2013, 17:30
nahhhh! For a real MEAF posting, it would have to be 13 months unaccompanied, with no e-mail, bluies, mobiles, Skype (other web-based communications are available) or R 'n' R, just a month's LUKFREE after 6 months.

As a singly I was on a 2 year posting to Khormaksar, Aden. We were entitled to 2 weeks in the Mombassa leave centre in the first year and 4 weeks LUKFREE in the second. Luckily for me we departed Aden early and my tour was cut short. As I recall the standard tour up the gulf was 12 months unaccompanied with no LUKFREE. It was later changed to 13 months. In 1967 No.208 (Hunters) came down from Muharraq for a show of force, along with some RN squadrons of Buccaneers and Sea Vixons from the carriers Hermes and Victorious. (There is a thread somewhere but I cannot be bothered looking for it).

Aaron.