PDA

View Full Version : EMA This morning something Merlin Engined

I_know_nothing
8th Aug 2013, 09:14
I live about 6 miles South of EMA Several times this morning heard the distinctive sound of a Merlin Engine - finally caught sight of it flying off the port wing of (I think) a 737-800 (I could only see from a distance). Anyone have the story? Assume someone was taking pictures or filming. Was it a Hurricane or Spitfire?
Fabulous sound and a pleasant change from all the very noisy low flying 'copters we get.

kevingc
8th Aug 2013, 09:22
British Airways 787 was circling in the area this morning.

handsfree
8th Aug 2013, 09:40
It was a Spitfire accompanying the BA Dreamliner to a Derby RR fly past.
I think there was a JP in the formation as well

The 787 is now at Newcastle to be followed by Edinburgh and then a tootle around the Highlands I'm told.

almost professional
8th Aug 2013, 09:44
Griffon actually, RR PR19 + B787+ Jet Provost, flypast of Rolls Derby factory and photo shoot.

I_know_nothing
8th Aug 2013, 11:27
Thanks - I would expect my super-spotter badge if I could tell the difference between Merlin and Griffon at this distance (or indeed probably at any distance!)
It was great sound - sorry I didn't get chance to snap it.

Burnie5204
8th Aug 2013, 12:02
Yup

BAW787 a Boeing 787-8 doing flypasts of EMA and Rolls-Royce Derby in company with the R-R spitfire (now repaired following its crash earlier this year) and the EMA based Jet Provost

Big Eric
8th Aug 2013, 18:21
Oh Lord, not you again !

The Spitfire didn't "crash" !

The pilot selected "gear-up" instead of "flaps-up" after landing.

Do'h ! :ugh:

Burnie5204
8th Aug 2013, 20:53
I know full well what happened with the Spitfire and why - you're just arguing semantics of crash/accident.

I bet you'd say that the BAW038 didnt 'crash' at Heathrow but just 'landed short'

The cause is irrelevant - the aircraft still had an accident (aka crashed)