PDA

View Full Version : Instructor rating - Vic or elsewhere

brownbird
8th Aug 2013, 04:05
Hi folks,

Looking for opinions/info to help me decide where to do my grade 3.

I have sat down with a few schools and have an idea of what's out there at what cost but I would love to hear from anyone who is currently in the process of making this decision, or from anyone who has recently completed an instructor rating course.

Above all I'm looking for recommendations for a school that will provide a quality course that doesn't involve extraordinary cost (>20k).

I'm in Victoria (Melb) but will consider heading interstate if there's a good enough reason to (any recent experiences with Johnstone in Pt Macquarie would be much appreciated).

Cheers!

in-cog-nito
8th Aug 2013, 08:04
Have you looked at Bendigo Aviation Services?
Quality instruction. No landing fees (as far as I know). Less traffic than MB.
http://www.bendigoaviation.com.au/Brochures/Grade3%20Instructor%20Brochure.pdf
No. I don't work there.

Cheers,
In-cog

Plow King
8th Aug 2013, 10:13
Get in quick though - Flying School for sale (http://www.aviationtrader.com.au/adverts/flying-school-for-sale/)

peterc005
8th Aug 2013, 11:11
I have had good experiences with Bendigo Aviation Services. Would be hard to replace the CFI Chris.

The fashionable place to do Instructor Ratings in Melbourne seems to be MFT at Moorabbin. Very good reputation.

My suggestion would be to find a flying school that could offer you some at least paid work at the end of the Instructor Rating.

This might not be an option at MFT who train a lot of instructors, but might be more likely at a smaller school like BAS.

DeltaT
8th Aug 2013, 11:46
For the incredible amount of money you are about to spend have you thought about mustering in a C152 in the outback to get your hours up instead?
...meals and accommodation provided

pc_1988
10th Aug 2013, 05:39
Gary at Murray Bridge Flight Office provides a very thorough and practical approach to a FIR. Reasonably priced, CTAF, able to get you through quickly without cutting any corners.

pilotchute
10th Aug 2013, 06:18
I drove around the outback for 3 months looking for one of these jobs a few years ago. Do they really exist???

DeltaT
10th Aug 2013, 10:35
I found at least one very long pprune thread on it, looks like for choppers.
I googled and found a few hits, mostly for choppers again, but a nice story from a fixed wing pilot, which then led me to North Australian Pastoral Company as a central body for cattle station vacancies. I sure there are a host of central places to ring around and locate for more information.