PDA

View Full Version : Any value to doing the CASA IREX Questions??

Fatboy99
6th Aug 2013, 02:36
D'day all,

In preparation for the IREX exams I've worked through the bob tait books. Done the questions in the book and done the 4 on line exams. Not perfect, but "passed" them all. I also got a stack of questions from a mate at another flight training college and working through them.

So this is the questions then: for those who have finished up the IREX exam, is there any value in doing the CASA website questions (if there's no way of verifying answers)? I've been busy doing them, but without the A, B, C, or D type answers, is there really any value??? Some of the questions have "definite values", but others could have multiple answers, i.e. "A thunderstorm is active approximately 10 km from the destination aerodrome. During landing, which hazard is most likely to be encountered?" .......wind shear, severe turbulence, lightning in case of a go around, change in wind velocity.....just a pain in the arse "answering" the question without being able to judge the correctness.

Point is, did you find doing the CASA Q's helpful, or should I just stick to the bob tait questions?

Cheers!!

bentleg
8th Aug 2013, 03:07
If you have passed the test questions, do the exam

QSK?
8th Aug 2013, 03:56
Try to do IREX questions dating back 10-20 years ago as well as the modern questions.

In my experience, the older questions tended to be harder and made one think more carefully than today's questions. If you can pass those, today's IREX questions should be a dawdle.

However be aware that Australia's charting standards have changed over time to become ICAO compliant and there may be some questions relating to approaches that no longer exist e.g. questions on DME descents. Also older questions may not cover GNSS content or procedural requirements.

Just my two bob's worth.

tobz92_ymen
8th Aug 2013, 04:29
Rob Avery's book with 4 practice exams is alright, but just gives answers and no references to where the answers are (later editions may have references)