PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealanders

Rodger T Hat
5th Aug 2013, 01:11
Hello Air NZers,

I've recently been contacted by HR (People People) from Air New Zealand to see if I am still interested in a SO Jet position. For those that are flying with Air NZ could you find a bit of time to answer some questions I can't seem to get from other sources? I know some of these might be a bit sensitive to post publicly so if you want to PM me that's fine. If you're so inclined to add a phone number, I add be happy to call you to make it a bit easier (based on your schedule).

The Qs:

What is a typical 777 SO roster look?
767?
747?
Is there a good balance of time away to time at home.

The movement from SO LH to A320 looks to vary from 3-12 years depending on who you talk to. Has the movement to A320, I'm guessing domestic, similar to the recruitment movement?

I have an idea of the salary, however are there any allowances?
Per Diem/Duty Travel Allowance?
Loss of licence insurance?
Meal allowance?
Publication allowances?
Other?

Extra Benefits
Flight-I would imagine for spouse and dependents?
Mother/Father?
Others?
ID 90? ID50?
Holiday discount? What does that look like?

Looking through the career website the company looks absolute amazing! With a real focus on staff/customer/morale. Is it as it appears?
Are pilots staying for the length of their career?

In the recruitment process they mention living with in 90 minutes of AKL, is it possible to commute from OZ. I'll move over if offered the position however it may take some time to get the family over, partner a job etc. etc. etc.

I'm really excited about the opportunities that may be ahead of me and want to get as much info as I possible can to make the right choice, although it may not entirely be up to me...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Rodgy Dodge

OneDotLow
5th Aug 2013, 03:34
In the recruitment process they mention living with in 90 minutes of AKL, is it possible to commute from OZ.

Yes.

If you have access to supersonic transport. ;-)

StoffelNZ
5th Aug 2013, 05:12
I'm in the same boat.. Would someone be so kind as to provide these answers or send me a PM? :ok:

Offcut
5th Aug 2013, 19:35
Roger, PM sent. If others are interested you are welcome to forward it on.

astinapilot
5th Aug 2013, 20:58
Guys, can you fwd pm's to me also.

Cheers

Pilotshumornetwork
5th Aug 2013, 22:25
Hi everyone, if possible can I be on the list to receive a PM about the above question. I thank you in advance. Thanks offcut, cheers

slatanmhor
5th Aug 2013, 22:37
hey all....

This may seem like a daft one but hope y`all can answer...

I have recently being getting some automated e mails from Air NZ HR advertising recruitment on 74-400 etc.
I am an Irish citizen with EASA licence..... Do I have a realistic chance in hell of getting employment there as I not a citizen of NZ and my licence is EASA???

Have nearly 2500 hrs total, 2000 on F100 and 74-400 training completed up to check ride ...

waterbottle
6th Aug 2013, 02:09
No chance sorry. Have to be a NZ citizen/resident with a NZ licence.

thehenge
6th Aug 2013, 02:46
Can I be added to the pm list as well thanks

Corkey McFuz
6th Aug 2013, 03:54
Me too please, I would be quite interested in the info. Thanks guys

sum1
6th Aug 2013, 04:49
Can someone please pm me with that info also? Many thanks.

kiwiabroad
6th Aug 2013, 08:34
Could you send the above PM to me too please guys? Thanks very much offcut and others.

C525B
6th Aug 2013, 08:51
Gday, could I also get the pm. Cheers.

Lasiorhinus
6th Aug 2013, 08:56
There's more PMs now than original questions. Perhaps someone could post the (de-identified) PM responses in this thread, for the greater good?

whogivesa????
6th Aug 2013, 10:34
Sort of defeats the idea of a PRIVATE message if someone posts it for all and sundry!
The originator of the thread asked specifically for info and now everyone comes out of the woodwork and wants to see what he/she has been told PRIVATELY?

I would be upset if I had sent a pm to someone in good faith and they published it without asking the messenger if it would be ok.

People PM for a reason.... If they had wanted to share the info then they would have posted it publicly.

Just my humble opinion.

whogivesa????
6th Aug 2013, 11:34
Point taken.... I didn't fully read off cuts post.
BUT- he HAS given permission. Others may not have.

And for the record, I haven't had a beer in quite a while, unfortunately.

Captain Fun
8th Aug 2013, 22:42
Sorry to drag it on but could I grab the PM info too. Thanks in advance.

lilflyboy262...2
9th Aug 2013, 00:05
A PM for me too please. Thanks.

Offcut
9th Aug 2013, 03:26
Righto, there is obviously a bit of interest in the state of play at AirNZ at the moment. Here is my take on what's going on. Sorry to be a bit vague with details of allowances etc, but we all need to be a bit careful with what is posted up here. If you really want the details, get hold of a copy of the current contract and do a bit of adding up.

So, whilst on the topic of contracts, some of you may have heard of the dispute currently underway regarding new pilot pay rates. The situation is as follows. ALPA is the majority union at ANZ with something like 80% or more of pilots being members and working under the CEA. Late last year the contract was renegotiated, and whilst not being the best deal ever, it was ratified. Not long after, the smaller union, FANZ (also known as the Feds) signed off their deal. They basically took a smaller pay rise for their capts in order to give a much larger rise to the second officers/737 FOs. This ended up in the FANZ pilots earning up to 13% more than their ALPA counterparts. They did this in order to attract new members as they are currently a dying union. ALPA is in court to try to enforce a parity clause but this may take some time. In the mean time, pilots are able to temporarily leave ALPA and pick up the Fed deal as an individual. In any case, if you are joining, talk to ALPA about your options. That out of the way......

Air NZ is going through the biggest expansion it has ever seen. Next year there is projected to be 138 new hires. In two years there is around 1400 seat changes. Suffice it to say, it is musical chairs at the moment, but the music will stop. Most new hires will go onto the 777 as second officers. A few will go to the 767 or 747, and a few will go to the 737 as FOs.

The 777 job is what most of you will be looking at. At the moment it does daily flights to LHR via LAX, and return AKL/LAX, about 4 YVR a week, the odd SFO, NRT, KIX, PVG and a bit to the islands. London is a nine day trip. The rest vary between 3-5 days. Most depart in the evening and arrive back in AKL in the morn. A normal roster might have a LHR, 5 days off, a 3 day lax, 4 days off, and maybe a 4 day YVR. Expect to have around 12-14 days off most months, give or take a couple with a min of ten days off. Average flight hours are around 75 per month, varying between 60 and 90. All hours are logged and counted for credit from push to on blocks, even if you are in the bunk. It's the law, don't fight it, just accept it. The 747 fleet is in serious wind down mode. Only two left, and only really one flying. Expect a lot of time on call, or rostered free of duty. Great if you want time at home, not so good for the pay packet. The 767 is a pretty good fleet. It services the pacific rim. Most trips will be 3-4 days. The 737 is slowly being replaced by the A320 but is here for a few years yet. Expect to work pretty hard. Purely a domestic fleet. Working 4-5 days a week with days varying from 2-5 sectors. No back of the clock.

Progression: Air NZ is traditionally a VERY slow moving airline. Ie, 8-10 years as a SO, then maybe 5 years as 320 FO, then 8-10 years as wide body FO before 320 command at around 20 years service, and wide body command at around 25-30 years, if you're still alive. At the moment it is going gangbusters though. A320 FO jobs are rocketing down the list, and there is 120 planned for next year so for those joining now, they will likely have a slot next year. All the other jobs are also coming down, but as a new hire do not expect to get any further up than 320 FO anytime this decade. You never know your luck, but this should be your expectation. You are not locked on to your first type, but after your first move there is a two year lock on for new type ratings.

The pay: Hmm, a bit of a sensitive subject. Ill give some broad indications. On starting the training pay is rubbish. About 40k I think. However, after passing your type rating you go onto year one pay. After a year, if you have atpl theory completed, you go straight to year four pay. On year four pay, doing 75 hours, you will bank somewhere around $2600 per fortnight. A big month might be $3000, and a quiet one $2300. On top of this, the company will match superannuation contributions up to 7.5% and pay $1000 per annum for professional insurances. You do not pay for uniform, parking, jepps, or anything else. There is a bond of 30k for type ratings, which you have to pay if you leave the company within I think 18 months of training. If you stay, there is no cost. I have never heard of anyone having to pay. While on a ToD, you will receive cash allowances in local currency when arriving in the hotel. Ill not go into details, but suffice it to say, they are sufficient to feed and entertain you while you are away.

Commuting: All new hires will be expected to live in AKL. There are domiciles available in CHC and WLG for 737 and 320, but they are hard to come by. As a new hire, do not expect to get one for several years. For long haul pilots, commuting is a valid option. The company cannot stop anyone from living anywhere they want, but they can and do restrict the use of staff travel to commute. Once you are in, you can request from your fleet manager to commute, and he cannot unreasonably turn you down. You need to show that it will not be overly fatiguing. If approved, you can use staff travel to commute. You need to use firm tickets, which are available at 50% of the public rate. You are allowed to change four sectors per roster free of charge. Life is a lot easier if you live in AKL but commuting is possible, and for most, the light at the end of the tunnel is a 320 job in WLG or CHC. They have been dead mans boots up until now, but there should be a few more positions coming up from now on.

All in all, it's a great job. There is absolute seniority so it is all about getting in ASAP. It's good times now, but no one knows when the big slow down will come, but it will come. Don't get in, then bitch about the lack of movement, even though that's exactly what everyone does. Long haul is fun for a while, then boring, then bloody annoying. It's nearly all back of the clock. There is quite a bit of four pilot flying which is much better than three. Expect to be tired a lot. The good thing about Air NZ is that there is fourteen different flying jobs, and you can bid for any of them. It might take a while but you will eventually find the one that is right for you. Pay is based on a payload/weight formula, and is rank specific. Ie, the bigger the plane and higher your rank, the more you get paid. This is not intended to be a sales pitch. If you don't want to join, good for you. Everyone is different. If I was getting over forty, I'd be having a good think about whether it adds up for me. If you are under 30, you'd have to be nuts to turn it down.

Disclaimer: In no way do I represent Air NZ. This is not a company communication. This is only to give prospective employees an idea of life on the inside. Any incorrect information is my mistake. Do your own research before making decisions. Find a pilot and buy him a coffee if you want the uncensored version. Good luck.

Corkey McFuz
9th Aug 2013, 10:53
Cheers Offcut :ok: