PDA

View Full Version : All right, oo was it?

treadigraph
4th Aug 2013, 15:02
Rather intrigued to see the remnants of a contrail which has described a least four orbits* drifting eastwards over Sussex/Surrey from the direction of Midhurst. Presently just passed Gatwick I'd say.

Unusual to see such things in this neck of the woods, plus other contrails seem short lived today, if the aircraft are trailing at all....

*make that seven now! Can't see the culprit!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Aug 2013, 15:28
Bit late now but nothing suspicious showing on SBS.

treadigraph
4th Aug 2013, 19:55
No, I couldn't see anything on FR24. Some of the orbits appeared to have been reversed, and there was an "S" turn, quite a pattern in the sky. My arc of view looking south from South of Croydon encompasses roughly Tunbridge Wells to Midhurst and the links of trail remaining stretched between the two.

I imagine it was somebody up for an air test somewhere west of Midhurst...

BOAC
4th Aug 2013, 20:11
I assume no FR24 = military??

Possibly a lonely Tiffy waiting for a meal?

DaveReidUK
4th Aug 2013, 21:18
I assume no FR24 = military??

Or an older, non-ADS-B airliner (737 Classic, MD-80, etc).

Charley B
5th Aug 2013, 09:44
I saw that as well..it was like a Catherine Wheel in the sky here between the clouds..interesting!

Dan Dare
5th Aug 2013, 10:16
Chemtrails over London. Don't tell anyone!

Need to Know Basis
5th Aug 2013, 11:38
Long shot but best to ask. Did anyone see contrails 3 maybe 4 in a perfect ring. I was in Horsham, West Sussex yesterday the 4th approx 1500 and looked up NW direction ( I assume over Crawley / LGW ). Must have been 30,000ft approx due to the bold contrails. It looked like someone was trying the Olympic rings. Very odd. Never seen acrobatic contrails so closed together and so high up.

Anyone want to make a best guess ?

DaveReidUK
5th Aug 2013, 11:46
Already being discussed here: http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/520658-all-right-oo.html

Albeit not as sensibly titled as your post. :O

Need to Know Basis
5th Aug 2013, 12:08
Good - so long as I was not the only one seeing it ! Glad to know others saw it but no one has a good answer. Must be a mystery. Interesting to see someone saw it in Midhurst which must be a good 30 miles to the west of where I was standing.

treadigraph
5th Aug 2013, 12:37
Nah, I was in Purley, NtKB, looking south - The aircraft must have been west of the Midhurst area, just out of view behind the treeline to me.

You are right about the Olympic rings, maybe Boris had somebody orbiting to add a little something to his mass cycle ride down to Dorking.

Hopefully someone down West will have had the binos out and seen what it was...

Or perhaps they've all be Chemtrailed... :p

Capetonian
5th Aug 2013, 12:42
I was at Benenden (Tenterden) and saw this off the to west.

Mr Angry from Purley
5th Aug 2013, 17:58
treadigraph
Pray tell me whats wrong with Croydon, if not i'll get angry :\

treadigraph
5th Aug 2013, 19:03
Do you have a few hours to spare...? :}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Aug 2013, 19:40
Croydon's not bad - I've spent many hours watching the goings on at Croydon Airport. As for Purley..... I went to school there and I still bear the scars now.

treadigraph
5th Aug 2013, 19:55
Ah, Croydon Airport, the mortal remains are just over the ridge from me. Only flying activity I have seen there was a Tiger Club airshow in 1988 and a more recent aerial visit by the Tiger Club to salute 50 years since the airport closed...

Went to a local primary, secondary was not far from Dunsfold - maths lessons were frequently disturbed by a Mr Farley and his colleagues...