PDA

View Full Version : AOC Suspended - Kenya

KiwiNedNZ
3rd Aug 2013, 19:57
Just chatting to friends in Kenya and seems like an operator there has had their licence suspended for illegal flights into Somalia.

Should be interesting to see what happens as Kenya has serious security regulations regarding Somalia following the Kenyan military operations in South Somalia and the constant threat of terrorism from Somali based Al Shabbab militants.

212man
3rd Aug 2013, 20:26
Any clues?

African Eagle
3rd Aug 2013, 20:38
Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Al-Shabaab have funds and some local operators/pilots don't care what they do as long as they've got money in their pocket.

The situation in Kenya for "whites" is becoming increasingly fragile in certain areas so my guess is for some interesting times ahead!

adivinner
4th Aug 2013, 06:10
Rumours are that the operator is Tropic Air

Hawkeye0001
5th Aug 2013, 16:17
Has just been confirmed by them on their Facebook page:

This is to inform you that Tropic Air is currently assisting the Kenyan Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) with an inquiry following a recent flight in Somalia.

The KCAA has requested that we do not operate until such time that this inquiry is satisfactorily concluded. All current bookings and commitments are therefore being sub-chartered to reputable air charter companies with whom we have long standing associations and whom provide the same quality of service as Tropic Air.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that we are doing everything in our power to resume services as soon as possible.

Ouch. :uhoh:

nigelh
5th Aug 2013, 18:26
Tropic are a very good operator run by good people . I am sure it is just red tape and will be sorted out very soon . Good luck guys :ok:

KiwiNedNZ
5th Aug 2013, 18:42
LOL - Just red tape - flying over international borders without the proper authorisation and especially when Kenya has such strict border rules. :D

Hawkeye0001
5th Aug 2013, 18:43
Certainly one of the best operators we've around here. Tropic are not known for cowboying so probably some misunderstanding and a knee jerk reaction by KCAA. Fingers crossed; because EA authorities just loooove to take their time in these cases :ugh:

KiwiNedNZ
5th Aug 2013, 18:54
Not a lot of operators around there from what I understand.

Tropic Air
Lady Lori Helicopters
Everett Aviation
Plus couple of single machine operators I think.

African Eagle
5th Aug 2013, 19:52
Plus couple of single machine operators I think.

Yes, such as,

Aberdair Aviation
Air Kenya
Phoenix Aviation
Sicham Aviation

and among private owners

William Kabogo
Peter Kenneth
Ephraim Maina
Gideon Moi
Simeon Nyachae

and if we are listing operators then among the non-commercial

Army Air Cavalry
Air Force
Kenya Power and Lighting
Police Air Wing
Wildlife Service

Hawkeye0001
5th Aug 2013, 20:35
And ALS. And HCEA. And a couple other lesser known ones in Kenya and the other 5 EAC countries. It might be a generally small community with very few well known established operators but there's a surprising total of some 50 civilian helicopters operating in Kenya alone.
It's probably just that the top 3 you listed above are the ones that understand the concept and value of proper marketing strategies ;)

African Eagle
5th Aug 2013, 20:56
Thought perhaps ALS were leasing out but as for HCEA - they operate Robinsons so wasn't sure if that actually counted! :E

KiwiNedNZ
5th Aug 2013, 20:58
I know what Tropic Air, Lady Lori and Everett operate - what do the others operate.

African Eagle
5th Aug 2013, 21:06
I know what Tropic Air, Lady Lori and Everett operate - what do the others operate.

Kiwi Ned, you are supposed to have been out this way not so! Next time try and take in more of the smaller shows and get a ride with the old boys from the Air Cav. They've some stories to tell!

Most of the remaining civvie ships are AS350's and B407's. Private ships include B206/L.

KiwiNedNZ
5th Aug 2013, 21:14
AE - Last time I was out there was a couple of years ago. The only operators I know or who have contacts with are Everett, Tropic Air, Lady Lori and met the guy who used to have the 407 that ended up in the crater lake.

Sorry but dont have any contacts with any of the others. Feel free to PM me some POCs and will make a point of visiting them when I head back that way in a few months. :ok:

Ned

African Eagle
5th Aug 2013, 21:22
Sawa effendi mpigapicha! :ok:

KiwiNedNZ
5th Aug 2013, 21:52
No idea what that means - thanks anyway. :)

adivinner
13th Aug 2013, 09:03
The story that I hear is that:
The owner of tropic air landed with several Somalis on board, landed in
Nanyuki air strip. The aircraft stopped at the end of the runway and without shutting down the engine, the pilot disembarked the Somalis who crawled through the tall grass as the pilot removed the sticky tape that covered the reg number and than taxied back to the apron.

If this is true that is extremely serious

African Eagle
13th Aug 2013, 10:33
The story that I hear is that: The owner of tropic air landed with several Somalis on board, landed in Nanyuki air strip.

Do you mean Jamie?

Is the helicopter supposed to have landed at Nanyuki inbound direct from Somalia?

KiwiNedNZ
21st Aug 2013, 19:42
Latest info coming from out of Africa say they are in real trouble. Rumour has it they went to Mogadishu in their B3 to rescue hostages and were asked by Amisom troops to shutdown the helicopter and discuss what they were doing there. Instead they started up and flew away without permission. Seems the Kenyan Govt is very pissed off because its caused stress between the African troops there and the senior Kenyan soldier is in the ****e with Amisom commanders in Mogadishu.

Some interesting times ahead by the sounds of it.

nomorehelosforme
21st Aug 2013, 20:01
Very brave to work over there, hope the rewards are worthwhile!

denis1960
25th Aug 2013, 08:08
They are back on line as of today

Agaricus bisporus
25th Aug 2013, 10:54
As a matter of interest how do you "go" to Mog from Kenya in a helo, turn round and go back? Fuel dumps in the bush that don't get nicked by Somalis? That is a huge trip!
Nanyuki to the Somali border is c.300Nm, and Mog is almost 400 beyond that!

Bender Rodrigez
26th Aug 2013, 06:26
You're actually right, that would be really serious if real. I'm glad it's not.
That sort of post, based on apron hear-say, is nauseous and BTW, absolutely ludicrous. As my old man always said to me: If you don't know, just **** the shut up, you'll help the story to remain straight.

Aucky
26th Aug 2013, 10:44
From Tropic Air's Facebook this morning:

NEWS FLASH – Tropic Air is flying again .. here's more about the resolved situation.
Following a 3 week grounding of operations, Tropic Air is thrilled to be back in the sky. This follows an enquiry by the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA) into a humanitarian flight we supported in Somalia, last month. It was alleged that Tropic Air undertook this flight without the appropriate flight clearances. However it has been confirmed that all aviation protocols were duly followed, and our Air Operators Certificate has now been reinstated.
The nature of the mission involved the successful recovery of two Spanish aid workers who had been hostage for 21 months in Somalia, following their capture from a refugee camp in Dadaab, North Eastern Kenya, in October 2011.
During this 3 week downtime, all our flight commitments were met by reputable air charter companies, with whom we have worked with many times in the past, and will continue to work with in the future. We are grateful for their cover over such a busy tourist season.
We would like to thank the many people who have extended their support to us, and we would also like to thank the KCAA for their continued support and facilitation within our aviation industry.

KiwiNedNZ
26th Aug 2013, 20:56
Yeah whatever you say Bender, the info I got came from two different sources and one was inside KCAA so say what you will I will believe what they told me.

mollydooker
28th Aug 2013, 17:51
Well it seems your intel was inaccurate as usual Kiwi Ned. :D
You take a nice picture, best stick to that.

KiwiNedNZ
28th Aug 2013, 17:58
Dont count your chickens just yet mate - if it was just a "misunderstanding" then why was the AOC revoked for three weeks ??

Also so tell me is Jamie back flying yet - not from what I hear - wonder why ???

Bender Rodrigez
28th Aug 2013, 20:46
Well this looks like an interesting story...After a good look at it from both sides, I think I made my own opinion, based on facts, not on shameful rumors.

I'll reserve my comments about the behavior of some civil aviation officials, I'm sure my fellow aviation professionals in Kenya and especially at Wilson Airport understand what I'm talking about.

That story stinks. It doesn't stink because of what happened during this flight in Somalia, but it stinks because once again politics and rivalry have messed up a story which could have otherwise been sorted out in no time. Let's face it, there's nothing much to talk about here. And certainly not enough material for such a fuss. No that story stinks because it has been used as an opportunity to harm an competitor.

Of course I'm sure my good friend Ned will make a 360-spin in his panties reading this comments from Auckland, as I noticed a tendency he developed to crap on any operator in Kenya which is NOT Lady Lori.

But allow me to continue and make the following remarks:-

1. If the Nanyuki boys are such bandits and deserve to be wiped out from the surface of the aviation planet, why is there no inquiry at Phoenix Aviation? As far as I know, they were also part of that rescue mission.

2. Assuming a CAR has been broken, how come KCAA decided to suspend the company AOC rather than suspend the PIC? How many operators would be left in Kenya if this rule was applied? Everett? Gone. Lady Lori? Vanished. KQ? Disqualified. None of the most reputable companies would have been grounded to their death.

3. What is the KCAA legal ground in terms of jurisdiction? Is Somalia became a Kenyan province all of a sudden?

Now call me old-school, but I'll stand with these guys on that one. Not only because I disagree with the way the matter has been handled at KCAA, but also because I like to think there's still people out there who will do these **** jobs, no matter what.

As a conclusion, let me declare that I would gladly give one of my balls to get that rescue mission on my C.V, so if you guys want to pretend it wasn't you, put it on my bill.

Cheerios

KiwiNedNZ
28th Aug 2013, 23:50
Actually Bender I have had my shots at Lady Lori before and will continue to do so if they screw up as well. Couldnt care less which operator it is who trys to screw the system - they deserve to be called out. The issue is not about the mission they did, but the way they did it. Tropic Air has some good machines, and does some good work but if you put your fingers too close to the fire then you are going to get burnt. Same as when they got busted for the bird sanctuary incident down south. Shame all their good work gets forgotten about when they make the headlines for the wrong reasons.

Cant tell you about the politics and rivalry between operators there because I have no knowledge of that, my info comes from sources other than operators and people I trust there, I stick by my comments and prefer to believe that which is written on paperwork emailed to me :ok:

If the KCAA arent doing the right thing then take it up with them.

You put whatever spin on it you wish bro :cool:

mollydooker
30th Aug 2013, 01:44
Nicely said Bender.

As for my mate Ned...... anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him knows he has a habit of not letting the facts ruin a good story. :=

KiwiNedNZ
30th Aug 2013, 02:25
Mollydorker - Just found out who you are - and doesnt surprise me - you still promoting your bogus flight time to employers and bull****ting your qualifications, you did that really well in Hong Kong.

You and your mate can continue to spin it however you want over there - I will believe the facts I was given :D

Like I said very surprising a "misunderstanding" results in AOC being removed for 3 weeks LOL.

And tell me is the Accountable Manager back flying - :ok:

Oh and since I dont actually write any of the stories in my mag that sort of shows your comment above is pure bull****. Feel free to look at the authors credits in the mag :D:D

adivinner
30th Aug 2013, 05:19
First lets dispense with the humanitarian B.S, Tropic Air was compensated very well. Jamie is still grounded according to very senior kcaa official.
Nobody has disputed the fact that people were disembarked in the grass in an airport which is not a point of entry. Nobody on a noble cause covers the registration No. Where was the welcoming party for the "rescued" people.
And please stop the autobark against KCAA every time they do their job when cowboys screw up. :=

Rotorbest
30th Aug 2013, 09:55
Bender Rodriguez, you seem to have bones to pick with anyone that feels that there was a violation and the that the KCAA are just doing their job. Your choice of words is also vulgar and emotional. I don't know you out of this forum and hope I won't but your bandying around of the word 'facts' and the mentioning of other operators as transgressors is not only childish and pathetic, but foolish; the focus here is on one operator and unless you table evidence to show what the others have done, heed your old mans advice.

Every country has it's laws and they need to be followed regardless of whatever mission you are undertaking. There is a reason for that..and I'm sure your old man would be glad to explain to you why. For your love of facts, I have some for you:

1. That KCAA has every right to investigate any allegation about any operator and they have at their disposal a raft of interim actions they can take while conducting the investigation.

2. That in this case, there was a violation and it couldn't have come at a worse time; when Kenya is actively engaged in the fight against terror inside Somalia and when she is at her most vulnerable.

3. That whoever committed the offense should have known better.

Ask your old man!