PDA

View Full Version : DA40 Min Oil Temperature

skkm
3rd Aug 2013, 07:17
There's a bit of discussion going on in my operation as to what temperature we should be letting the oil reach prior to takeoff in the DA40-CS fitted with the IO360 and Hartzell propeller.

The green range of the oil temperature gauge does not start until 149ºF, and some instructors refuse to take off until this temperature is reached (can take a very long time, especially in mid-winter), while others maintain any temperature over 100 is sufficient. The AFM doesn't mention a minimum temperature for takeoff anywhere –*just that for continuous operation temperature should be above 150, which it obviously is after a few minutes airborne.

What's the right thing to do?

A and C
3rd Aug 2013, 08:15
There is a Lycoming SB or SL on the subject of minimum oil temp for take off, at the airfield I operate from this is never an issue so my memory is a little hazy but I seem to remember it saying that if the engine will idle at 5-700 rpm smoothly the engine was walm enough for take off.

When I get into the office I will try to dig out the SB/SL and send you the reference.

BackPacker
3rd Aug 2013, 08:54
I seem to recall the same thing. If the engine is warm enough to idle smoothly, you can take off. No need to warm up into the green band.

It should not be too hard to google for the operations manual for the engine as written by the engine manufacturer - on which the AFM of the aircraft will be based. Is there any information about this issue in there?

---------

Edited: http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/360/O-360-HO-360-IO-360-AIO-360-HIO-360-TIO-360_OM.pdf

Page 3-5:
) Engine is warm enough for take-off when the throttle can be opened without the engine faltering.

skkm
3rd Aug 2013, 09:04
Just found the same manual you did... Seems fairly clear that as long as the engine's running fine you're good to go. Cheers.

BackPacker
3rd Aug 2013, 09:08
Yep. But you may want to wait for A and C to come up with that SB/SL anyway, as it may clarify some points from the ops manual. I was looking for that one as well, but couldn't find it quickly enough.

phiggsbroadband
3rd Aug 2013, 12:25
Hi Skkm, I would think it has a lot to do with what type of oil you are using.
If you are using the thicker mono-grade oils... W100 (sae50) or W120 (sae60), then these will stay thicker until reaching working temperature.

The Multi-grade sae 10-50 has the properties of an sae 10 at low temperature, and so is more suitable for cold starts. It then has the same properties of an sae50 at working temperatures.

Please consult your handbook before making any changes to the type of oil used.