PDA

View Full Version : Kit Aircraft lands in South Aust paddock

outnabout
1st Aug 2013, 23:56
Kit plane crash-lands in paddock at Stirling North, near Port Augusta

Updated Thu Aug 1, 2013 1:29pm AEST
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4858858-3x2-700x467.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/engine-failed-and-the-plane-crashed-in-a-paddockjpg/4858892) Photo: A kit aircraft crashed into a paddock at Stirling North (ABC News: Khama Reid) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/engine-failed-and-the-plane-crashed-in-a-paddockjpg/4858892)

A home-made aircraft has crashed into a paddock in outback South Australia.
It happened just before 11:30am ACST, just off Reservoir Road at Stirling North, east of Port Augusta.
Police said the pilot was forced down when the kit aircraft's engine failed.
The passenger was taken to Port Augusta Hospital with injuries and the pilot suffered cuts to his head and arm.
A Country Fire Service unit went to the scene.

Kit plane crash-lands in paddock at Stirling North, near Port Augusta - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-01/kit-plane-crash-lands-in-paddock-at-stirling-north-near-port-au/4858710)

From the ABC News website, yesterday

Horatio Leafblower
2nd Aug 2013, 00:43
I told ya them ultralight cessna things are dangerous.

Super Cecil
2nd Aug 2013, 00:56
Howie at Ballina would be insulted people calling that "Home made" :8

Mach E Avelli
2nd Aug 2013, 00:57
If it was 'home-made' maybe it was only half baked?

Oracle1
2nd Aug 2013, 01:19
Is that a lightwing?

If it is they picked the right aircraft to crash in.

VH-XXX
2nd Aug 2013, 03:27
It is a 2-stroke Rotax 582 Lightwing. I'm not sure why you would choose a Lightwing to crash in given the seriousness of the passenger injuries that the passenger sustained in this crash. Give me a Jabiru any day for crash-worthiness. Other than a CFIT years back causing two fatalities, they have a brilliant survival record.

Desert Flower
2nd Aug 2013, 06:39
A home-made aircraft has crashed into a paddock in outback South Australia.

Good grief - since when has Port Augusta been in the outback of South Australia? The Far North of South Australia certainly, but not the ruddy outback!
Now Leigh Creek & Marree on the other hand....

DF.

Oracle1
2nd Aug 2013, 08:19
Excellent point VH-XXX it makes up for the Jabiru engine;)

sms777
2nd Aug 2013, 08:24
G'day DF.
Don't feel bad......Some people in Sydney consider the other side of Blue Mountains outback because the roads get narrower and the sky is more blue. :ok:

tecman
2nd Aug 2013, 09:19
Oracle, while I suspect that rejoinder may have been set up by XXX (and I resisted posting it for that reason), your post gave me a good laugh anyway:)

gerry111
2nd Aug 2013, 11:20
DF, Marree and Leigh Creek are just Adelaide northern suburbs... Trevortown, aka William Creek? Now that's real outback! :ok:

compressor stall
2nd Aug 2013, 11:36
William Creek? Outback? Never seen so many bleedin' cars and vans. Like Bourke St these days. :8

WAC
2nd Aug 2013, 11:40
Anything past Gepps Cross is considered Outback!

Weheka
3rd Aug 2013, 01:56
In New Zealand and Australia, however, a paddock is a field of grassland of any size, especially for keeping sheep or cattle.

That paddock definitely needs regrassing!

500N
3rd Aug 2013, 02:09
Weheka

Sheep don't live on just grass in the outback, it dies off too quickly,
Salt Bush is preferred.

"William Creek? Outback? Never seen so many bleedin' cars and vans. Like Bourke St these days. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif"

As are most places nowadays that used to be considered "off the beaten track".

Wally Mk2
3rd Aug 2013, 04:09
The way the Krudd Govt are about to finally put the last nail in Australia's coffin by way of lots more taxes to cover up their continued stuff ups the "outback" won't be much beyond the edge of our burbs as nobody will venture past the last electric lit street due costs!!!

One has to wonder the merits of those chute thingies that are attached to these dangerous SE machines when you see the end result of a light AC such as this one where it doesn't look a total ball of twisted metal yet the beings on board ended up really knocked around.

Wmk2

Weheka
3rd Aug 2013, 07:01
Cheers 500N, I should've done a bit more homework, just doesn't look like the "paddocks" i'm used to.:ok:

Jack Ranga
3rd Aug 2013, 07:33
If you want a Jabiru, just buy a paddock, there's a jabiru engine in most paddocks :ok:

500N
3rd Aug 2013, 08:38
Weheka

Compared to your lovely paddocks of green grass and even the "tussocky" stuff in the higher country of NZ, I can believe it.

Jedwin
12th Aug 2013, 14:45
As usual the facts are all wrong it was a factory built gr 582 to the persons who say they are not safe your wrong the person who mentions severe injury to passenger wrong again it was bad country to land on so it becomes a planed crash the passenger had two stitches in his head and has a very sore backside I was the pilot and gave first aid to my passenger contacted RAAUZ from the scene to report it saw my passenger off in the ambulance he stayed overnight I refused the ambo got my wife to drive me home first then take me to hospital and found my back was fractured at L5 I have one week more to wait for swelling to go before surgeon can review me but I recon it will be fine, the lightwing and Jabiru are very crashworthy airframes if you fly an aircraft all the way in provides best outcomes every time, the only aircraft that scare me are one that cannot land in a paddock unfortunately the media report things very wrong or follow up and correct their reporting then all this gets exacerbated by silly remarks on forums ect good training practice and airmanship is all that is needed for safe flight me I stated 1982 first incident people die everyday in cars go figure proven fact the drive to thee airport is the most dangerouse part of any flight cheers Steve:ok::ok::ok:

Desert Flower
15th Aug 2013, 00:37
Wow Jedwin - I think that's the longest sentence I've ever seen anyone post! All joking aside, glad you & your pax are still around to talk about it.

DF.