PDA

View Full Version : Flight school in fort lauderdale

baobab72
1st Aug 2013, 09:14
Hi folks
Any advice about any flight school in the fort lauderdale area? What about fort lauderdale.pro?
I just wanna fly 5 hrs during my holidays there, enough to get some helicopter time under my belt -i am plank driver wiht a whopping total heli time of 2 hrs and still trying to figure out which input to use to stabilize the hover to remain within one square mile from my starting point!- without upsetting the wife leaving her alone and stranded!

Tks

Baobab72

baobab72
2nd Aug 2013, 20:29
Hi torque stripe, many thanks for your reply! I wrote them an email and i am waiting for their answer. Have you attanded that flight school and if so, what is your opinion into that regard? I am looking for a professional yet friendly learning environment and for experienced flight and ground instructors with a solid knoweledge about the systems and how to operate them who can answer my questions or who can point me in the right direction to find the answer, and not just for gold diggers that to make a quick buck squeeezing more than i can handle in a very short time, are willing to loose a future customer - helicopter lessons longer than 45 50 minutes, poor pre and post floght briefing, and so on! I wanna know exactly what i can expect during the flight lesson and i want to have an understanding of the reason that lies behind any item on the checklist!
Of course in return i will give my complete dedication and i dont expect to be able to tame the heli in just a few hours but only to have a better grasp on the matter!

Kind regards

baobab72

Leffi
2nd Aug 2013, 23:23
Hi.

I would recommend Florida Coast to Coast Helicopters located in Pompano Beach (KPMP) just north of Ft. Lauderdale. (Florida Coast To Coast Helicopters (http://www.floridacoasttocoasthelicopters.com))

Experienced instructors, nice people, very good maintenance and new equipment.

baobab72
3rd Aug 2013, 07:19
Hi leffi, many thanks for your advice, i just wrote them an email, hopefully they will get back to me soon!
Have you attended that flight school? It looks nice and the rates are much lower than the other schools i have come across!
Many thanks

Baobab72

Leffi
3rd Aug 2013, 22:52
I used to be one of their instructors many years ago so I guess my point of view is from the other side of the briefing table :) I would still claim, though, that there exists a very healthy learning atmosphere at the school. I just visited them this summer and my opinion still stand.

Another thing is that the airport in Pompano is probably the most training friendly one in the Ft. Lauderdale area. You can do your hover and pattern training right there, while at Ft. Lauderdale Executive (KFXE) and Boca (KBCP?) they don't allow flight training at their fields. At least this was the case many years ago when I worked there. Don't forget to do an approach to the downtown Ft. Lauderdale helipad (DT1) if time and budget allows. It's a treat for a 22 driver :)

Anyways, all these airports are so close to each other that it wouldn't take you long to go and check out each one and see for yourself. There's also a couple of smaller airports south of Ft. Lauderdale that probably have some helicopter operators at them. These are North Perry and Tamiami.

That being said, I would still go to FCCH :)

baobab72
4th Aug 2013, 06:23
Hi everyone
I just received an email from someone from fcch, a very nice bloke, who wrote that they can only train citizens or residents so i guess i do not qualify as a suitable candidate, too bad cos they seem like a nice bunch, rates are extremely competitive and the helis look great!
I am still waiting for the flight school based at fxe to answer me back!

Baobab72