PDA

View Full Version : Chances of getting in?

Fraser19
1st Aug 2013, 09:02
When applying for places like CTC and OAA to do there Integrated ATPL course what chance do you have of getting in, roughly how many application will they recieve? as I've heard some people saying its not too hard to get into others saying that you must have been quite lucky to get in.

PURPLE PITOT
1st Aug 2013, 11:44
If you have £100k spare, then you are by defintion "lucky".:ok:

Janbal
1st Aug 2013, 16:21
Hi my son has taken the CTC wings test & interview twice and passed the assessment but still didn't get in even though the second interview was requested by CTC themselves so not sure how it works.:ugh:
I would suggest you look around I've been doing a lot of research on Pan Am new academy aka ACA, reviews and Facebook page all check out, they even check out with the CAA. :rolleyes:
Guess choosing the integrated route might be very tempting for parents like me but there is no guarantee as there isn't with QAA and the training is delivered in Phoenix Az US.
Anyway my son is book in for the Pan AM assessment 22nd Aug 2013 so I will let you know how it turns out.

Fraser19
1st Aug 2013, 19:08
What age is your son?, might sound a bit creepy but I don't mean it like that as I want to get in CTC/OAA after I leave school but not sure whether to forget it and get a degree first, is that what he has done?

Matt7504
1st Aug 2013, 21:30
Please.....not ACA!

BigGrecian
2nd Aug 2013, 01:15
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/517374-pan-am-international-flight-academy-any-good.html#post7899819

fwjc
2nd Aug 2013, 06:53
My experience of the entrance tests are that they are not that difficult, at least to meet the school standards. Meeting tagged course standards is harder (ones where the airlines "choose" the students).
The main filter for applicant appears to be the ability to come up with the money. So if someone fails the tests, either they clearly don't have the money or they're just not good enough, yet. If they had you back for a second go, it's probably because they realised you had the money. Find out what your son failed on and try to develop that. There is no point in spending your money if he doesn't have the right stuff to get through. Especially when it comes to the last part of trying to get a job.
I think some of the tests are nonsense anyway, but some of the assessment is relevant. They don't want to have to work too hard to get their students passed. If you feel that CTC got it wrong, you are better off looking at full time modular. Try somewhere like BCFT where you can do full time modular for less money with good instruction.
If you still want to go with ACA, it's your money. Funny enough I recommended a friend against paying for his son to go to PTC, just before they went bust. He didn't listen and they lost a lot of money. Probably won't happen with ACA but you won't get what's sold on the tin.

FlyingSportsman
8th Aug 2013, 09:57
So if someone fails the tests, either they clearly don't have the money

So you think that aptitude tests can be failed because you don't have the money... :D Conformation of funding is required AFTER your assessment day, not before and quite frankly the fact you say If they had you back for a second go, it's probably because they realised you had the money is ridiculous, they've invited you back because they feel with some reflection and improvement you may meet their requirements.

If you feel that CTC got it wrong, you are better off looking at full time modular.

Why? Are you suggesting that because someone did not meet their criteria that all integrated flight schools are not worth applying to?

I think some of the tests are nonsense anyway, but some of the assessment is relevant

Interesting, Which ones are you referring to?

These forums can be a great tool, but please think about what you are posting before you do so.

limesoda
8th Aug 2013, 20:03
Might have a comment here.

Recently did the Qatar wings MPL selection and flying to Doha for security soon, given dates etc.

However can the PILAPT test pass rate be raised to suit tagged schemes such as this one? Because to be honest i found my selection 'bloody hard'!

Would be good to get a comment

FlyingSportsman
9th Aug 2013, 11:34
As you may have noticed when doing PILAPT you get scores for each exercise you complete. CTC will have a good idea of what pass mark to set as to select candidates they feel can pass flight training. Your scores are averaged, and you are given an overall score.

Tagged schemes obviously want a better calibre of student, so raise this minimum pass mark to get through the first stage of selection.

As a rough idea, one school raised their pass mark by 8 for FPP selection as opposed to their usual standards.
:ok:

fwjc
11th Aug 2013, 14:29
And there was me thinking that expressing my own opinion was okay!

My point doesn't refer to individuals, as such. If the schools were struggling to get enough candidates to fill their intake quota, the simple solution is to reduce the entry grade cut-off. If they have 50 applications for 20 places, and the pass mark only fills 15, and only 10 of those can actually secure the funding, what do you think the school will do? Operate a course with only 10 students? Think about it. Reducing the entrance score increases the number of people you can take. The schools are there to make money. And having the money to pay, whether you like it or not, is a criteria.

It is fair to give people a second go at the assessment, yes. But I'd be interested to see how many are not invited back. My guess is very few. It has nothing to do with reflection and everything to do with maximising the opportunity to make money.

I think that most of the big integrated schools operate to similar levels with respect to entrance tests. I also think that if you are the kind of person who struggles with those tests, the more personally paced approach you can get with modular would probably suit you better. With integrated you are stuck to a reasonably rigid program, because they operate to prescribed timescales. With modular you can take a break, spend a few weeks or months longer on one aspect or another. Or you can progress more quickly than integrated, if that works for you.

With regards the tests, I have a colleague who is a highly accomplished aerobatic pilot who also flies for an established airline who couldn't pass the hand-eye coordination test. This is because the way it is set up actually makes it harder if you are already a pilot. The sim is a much better place to test this. The multitasking, orientation and Maths sections are reasonable because you need those skills in the way that is reasonably close to the way that they are tested.

Again, just my opinion. Take it or leave it. But there's no need to get upset.

CTC_Cadet
29th Aug 2013, 01:02
Hey buddy..

As you can probably tell from my username I'm one of the 'lucky few' that 'had the money'. Basically mate - the Pilapt is hard, but like with any hand eye coordination/aptitude tests, it really is you either have the ability or you don't. To be completely frank, I believe a lot of the guys that didn't get into CTC for whatever reason is down to how the afternoon session goes. The group exercise and interview! In the group exercise they're looking for calmness under pressure, good communication skills, being a team-leader, but not dominant, and of course, a team player. Basically everything required to be able to work effectively in part of a multi-crew operation. The interview is really there to question your motives. To make sure you are 100% motivated and determined to do the course. I can put my hands up and agree without doubt that this course is f***ing hard! And without continuous motivation and determination almost impossible!

Regards further education - I didn't. I dropped out after just AS levels at 6th form, and worked for 3 years as cabin crew before making the transition to cadet pilot. Obviously if you can get ahead of the game by getting an aeronautical engineering degree under your belt, DO IT! When it comes to Principles of flight and learning how a gas turbine engine works, it will be so helpful, and you'll breeze through most of the groundschool! But all I am saying, is it is not essential!

Finally mate, CTC take on average 3000 applications a year, and offer 5% of those 3000 places on the CTC courses. Courses run each month and vary from 12-30 students per CP. All the best of luck, and don't hesitate to drop me a personal message if you have any further questions.