PDA

View Full Version : casa - The mc-comick view

Up-into-the-air
1st Aug 2013, 08:12
Here we go again

Definititely, GA is a threat to all

Aircraft Airworthiness & Sustainment Conference 2013 (http://www.airworthiness2013.com/)

Opening Statement by John F. McCormick

Brisbane – 23 July 2013
Welcome to all.
CASA is pleased to once again be associated with and sponsor this year’s Aircraft Airworthiness & Sustainment Conference.
I congratulate the conference Chairman-Richard Gauntlett-on his resolution to continue to organise and host this important event in the current world climate of financial austerity, noting that the parent organisation in the United States cancelled their equivalent conference earlier this year - as a consequence of budget sequestration.
At this 'fourth' Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment Conference we are continuing our discussions and exchanges on the subject of optimising the management of Australia's ageing aircraft fleet - something that remains an increasingly significant challenge as time passes.
CASA's position on ageing aircraft

So what exactly is an ageing aircraft? There is no universal definition as such. At CASA, we take the view that all aircraft are ageing aircraft – beginning at the time of manufacture. The rate at which it ages will, however, depend on how that aircraft is:

operated
maintained
stored over its working life.

Thus chronological age is only one indicator of an ageing aircraft, certainly not the only. While there is nothing inherently wrong with an older aircraft-provided it has been properly operated, stored and maintained-the potential for the effects of maintenance neglect or operational mis-management to accumulate and manifest itself is more likely in an older aircraft.
Similarly, obsolescence should not necessarily be confused with the ageing process:

a commercial aircraft is obsolete when it is no longer economically viable to keep it operational
a military aircraft is obsolete when its capabilities are no longer competitive with potential adversaries/challengers.

In both cases, a change in the aircraft's role i.e. reassigning the aircraft to freight or training duties may realise some additional utility out of that ‘ageing aircraft’. In other cases there isn’t the availability of funding to replace the aircraft outright, and increasing sustainment costs are borne to keep the enterprise or capability alive.
These and other factors contribute to the wide-spread extension of aircraft lives beyond the manufacturer’s original expectations. Each aircraft and operational scenario is different, and therefore Australia has no plans to impose a universal life-limit on aircraft based on chronological age alone.
Regular Public Transport sector

CASA has no major concerns regarding ageing aircraft management at the ‘heavy metal’, higher end of the aviation spectrum. The maintenance programs developed for most large commercial aircraft in Australia have extensive involvement with the aircraft's manufacturer. This also extends to the incorporation of manufacturer sponsored ageing aircraft programs and initiatives.
In addition, the amount of resources allocated to the continuing airworthiness support of these aircraft by RPT operators is considered appropriate for continued safe operations.
There is also a welcome rejuvenation of many of Australia’s commercial fleets i.e. A380s, B787s and B737s fleet modernisations to name a few. The days of Australians flying overseas on B747s and B767s are coming to an end.
We must mindful that while many wouldn’t consider a brand new A380 or B787 to be ageing aircraft - how we operate and maintain these aircraft today will have a large impact on just how long the aircraft will remain commercially viable into the future.
General Aviation sector

On the other hand, the situation at the other end of the scale – General Aviation – is very different.
General Aviation has few of the resources and manufacturer’s support arrangements enjoyed by the ‘top end of the town’.
Many General Aviation aircraft:

are being operated for decades beyond their notional design lives
have modest or otherwise no manufacturer’s support arrangements
do not have fatigue or usage profiles as guidance by which to manage them
receive no more than a yearly/100 hourly inspection that is generic in nature.

The above scenario applies to some 10,000 aircraft of the 15,000 on the Australian Register. This represents a significant concern to CASA.
CASA’s efforts in education

While CASA will always continue to monitor commercial aviation closely – in terms of maintenance, focus will continue to increase on General Aviation sector. We continue to consider a range of initiatives as to how to optimise our oversight of the entire VH registered fleet - starting first and foremost with safety education.
Responsibility for the airworthiness of an aircraft rests with the aircraft’s Registered Operator – or owner – just as it does for a road-worthiness of a car or a sea-worthiness of a boat.
Getting Registered Operators to fully understand their responsibilities as well as the impacts of the ageing process on their aircraft has been a high priority for CASA. Further regulation in this area will be considered as an option only if education fails to positively impact the desired safety outcomes.
CASA’s education initiatives include the distribution of targeted information booklets on the subject of ageing aircraft to all Registered Operators, as well as a series of ageing aircraft educational seminars held around the country in Capital Cities and at Aero clubs over the last few years.
CASA has also developed a very informative e-learning course on the subject of ageing aircraft, which is available to anyone on the CASA web-site. The feedback to date on this initiative, some of which has come from international sources, has been very positive.
In addition, CASA is also trialling a web-based ageing aircraft management tool we refer to as the ‘prototype Matrix Tool’.
This tool provides the user with feedback as to the likelihood their aircraft may be subject to ageing related issues. To date, this tool has had:

over 13,000 hits during its trial period – around 30 per day – which is very encouraging, considering there are 15,000 aircraft on the Australian Register today
considerable overseas interest, including from the FAA.

CASA is currently considering whether to further develop this prototype tool into a production version – available permanently – at some stage in the near future.
I urge any aircraft owners who are interested in how this tool can help you better understand how your aircraft is ageing to attend tomorrow’s presentation and engage with my staff on the CASA stand.
Instructions for continuing airworthiness

CASA is also considering several options in regard to the minimum levels of maintenance that are appropriate for aircraft operated many decades beyond their intended use-by date.
As an aircraft ages, the nature and intrusiveness of scheduled inspections needs to increase-much the same as for a person’s medical visitations as one ages. However, there is much evidence to show us that this is not occurring in relation to the ageing aircraft fleet. Registered operators are encouraged to take a closer look at their maintenance inspection regime.
Having an increasingly ageing aircraft fleet, subject to a static and generic maintenance regime does not bode well for the long-term, particularly in the absence of manufacturer’s input i.e. Instructions for Continued Airworthiness – in many cases. Where such manufacturer’s input does exist, it should be incorporated wherever possible.
One example of manufacturer’s Instructions for Continued Airworthiness is Cessna and its Supplemental Inspection Documents or SIDs programs.
Cessna especially is to be commended for its efforts in recognising and supporting the continued airworthiness of many of its products well beyond the timeframes of operation for which those aircraft were originally envisaged.
The SIDs inspection and structural replacement programs are based on years of operational data and operator feedback – and address areas in various aircraft that, for a wide variety of reasons could be susceptible to ageing process – including the continued operation of an aircraft many decades beyond its initial design assumptions.
By way of example, New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority has last year mandated the incorporation of all Cessna SIDs where they exist. The results they have received to date from this policy decision show the decision to be fully justified from a safety perspective with many cases of otherwise unknown structural deterioration now uncovered and addressed.
The Cessna SIDs program is an example of a manufacturer actively involved in the ageing aircraft management process of its aircraft.
Closing remarks

On that positive note, I thank you for the opportunity to once again open this important airworthiness conference.
The feedback I get from my people is that this is an excellent forum for the airing and exchange of ideas on how to better manage our respective aircraft and fleets. We pick-up some really good information here each year.
I trust everyone will make the most of the opportunity to maximise their knowledge and pursue worthwhile opportunities at this ‘Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment Conference 2013’ over the next 3 days.
Thank you.
Looks like mccormick for PM!!!!

and when I looked at the site, the following is noted:

Dear Community,
It is with disappointment and regret that the AA&S Planning Committee announces that the Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment Conference, scheduled at the Gaylord Texan, March 25-28, 2013, will not take place. This decision was made due to the recent directive from DOD with regard to travel restrictions. The impact of this directive on DOD participation at AA&S 2013 would not allow the AA&S Committee to provide our attendees and exhibitors with the value you have come to expect and deserve from the AA&S Conference.

Planning is already underway for AA&S 2014 to be held at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront, April 14-17, 2014. Many exciting innovations are being considered to maximize the quality of this conference and hit the topics of sustainment and airworthiness that are so critical to you in today’s environment. As we are undergoing this process, we continue to encourage you to contact us with the topics and issues that you and your organization want to see addressed. We look forward to your future participation and appreciate your understanding of this decision.

The AA&S Planning Committee

and How do we explain this???

Conference

The 2013 Aircraft Airworthiness and Sustainment (Australia) Conference is being held over 23-25 July at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (BCEC) in Brisbane, Queensland. This is a non-profit event for the benefit of all those who operate and sustain our aerospace vehicles, military or civilian, large or small, manned or unmanned. The target audience includes engineers, technicians, owners, operators, analysts, scientists, logisticians and managers.

Around 70% of the lifecycle cost of an aircraft is taken up by its sustainment and in the current fiscal environment it is more important than ever to ensure that airworthiness and sustainability are managed as efficiently, and pro-actively, as possible. As always, there are many variables to consider: ageing of materials, impacts of increased operations, lack of retained knowledge resulting in poor decision making, obsolescence and integrity of spares, improved testing techniques, changing mission types or hangar environments, the emergence of previously unknown problems, and the list goes on. Change is continual and adapting to it is vital.

This event is supported by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), and as always, guest speakers will include representatives from our sister AA&S Conference in the US, reflecting an ongoing collaborative relationship with our allies in the airworthiness, ageing aircraft and sustainment community.

and Who has seen the money here???

Creampuff
1st Aug 2013, 09:07
Many General Aviation aircraft:

- are being operated for decades beyond their notional design lives
- have modest or otherwise no manufacturer’s support arrangements
- do not have fatigue or usage profiles as guidance by which to manage them
- receive no more than a yearly/100 hourly inspection that is generic in nature.

The above scenario applies to some 10,000 aircraft of the 15,000 on the Australian Register. This represents a significant concern to CASA.No need to be concerned, CASA, significantly or otherwise.

Relax. :ok:

Just don’t fiddle with or let self-proclaimed experts second guess the decisions of the regulatory authorities who issued the Type Certificates for, and know what they are doing in relation to the continuing airworthiness of, the ’10,000’ aircraft. :=

Up-into-the-air
1st Aug 2013, 09:22
AND:

Creamy, was this not approved by casa???

The above scenario applies to some 10,000 aircraft of the 15,000 on the Australian Register. This represents a significant concern to CASA.

Capn Bloggs
1st Aug 2013, 09:56
Boorie for PM, Dick for President. Can't go wrong! :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Aug 2013, 10:44
Does this maen that Oi will have to 'abandon' me beloved DH-82A...?

Originally manufactured May 1942.....but.....wait for it.......

The ONLY original part left on it, is the brass plate bearing the date 'May 1942'.....

:ugh:

p.s. Its in 'better nick' than many of the more modern types......
'Tis bleedin marvellous', wot a glue pot & a bit of canvas will do......

:mad:

Jabawocky
1st Aug 2013, 11:22
........ better than when it was new! ;)

Some of these folk do not get it.

And if they just backed off a bit on the BS and got more active and pro-active....lots of things would improve.

They can't even fix the stuff up on CAO100.5 inside a week.

I think technically speaking untikl that is fixed all the conditional inspection folk are "on paper grounded".

I reckon Creamie should lead a massive fly past in Cantberra of on condition aircraft.....massive fly past over their roof at ......400' as 100 is the tolerance is it not?:E

Old Akro
1st Aug 2013, 22:34
are being operated for decades beyond their notional design lives

Find me a GA manufacturer that will declare what the design life is. And by the way, how old was Caribou when it was retired?

have modest or otherwise no manufacturer’s support arrangements

I don't even know what this means. But I can tell you that our 30+ year old aeroplane has better parts support than a 1 YO Toyota

do not have fatigue or usage profiles as guidance by which to manage them

Once again, I don't know what this means. It sounds to me like trying to apply airline concepts to GA. Most GA aircraft are overdesigned compared with RPT aircraft because of scale factors (ie its easier to use a 2mm piece of material rather than the 0.9mm piece of material dictated by design calcs). SHOW ME THE DATA that demonstrates this is a problem!!! Its only an issue in the hypothetical world of public service board rooms filled with non-aviation attendees.

receive no more than a yearly/100 hourly inspection that is generic in nature.

This would be CASA schedule 5. Just remind me again who created it and declared it to be adequate?

And we are paying this guy? No wonder we need a Cypress style deposits tax.

T28D
1st Aug 2013, 23:02
And what about the B 52 in life service now planned for 75 years much more demanding operational service than Day VFR General Aviation, the KC 135 high gross weight, and its in service planned life is ??????????????

The whole ageing aircraft CASA program was a Diamond inspired justification for papers presented at overseas junkets to satisfy the ego of one man !!!!!!!

It is irrational, brand specific and ignores in service problems.

On eyre
2nd Aug 2013, 04:48
One issue that seems to be overlooked is that aircraft manufacturers make aircraft - rarely do they maintain them.
Despite manufacturers "maintenance schedules" most times experienced LAME's inspecting, rectifying, adjusting and noting specific issues relating to particular aircraft types do a better job at aircraft maintenance. This is particularly so when the CASA Schedule 5 (which I assume was developed way back when CASA Airworthiness staff were helpful people) is utilised.

Oracle1
2nd Aug 2013, 08:29
I own a C172D with 3000 hours, always hangered, corrosion proofed, and in mint condition, provided the airframe is cared for as it has been so far and it doesn't get pranged it will still be flying after I am dead. 51 years old and still going strong, what crap is this from

the Cretins Against Serious Aviation :{

aroa
2nd Aug 2013, 09:45
Its all tosh from the head tosser. ! :D :mad:

And the buggers cant ever do 'truth in advertising'...most of the pics of "ageing aircraft" in the CAsA bumpf are derilect wrecks that have been abandoned for decades and never, ever intended to be put back in the skies again.

Never mind...as per the CAsA code, any old BS will do. !!!!:mad:

Hasherucf
2nd Aug 2013, 10:29
Sad to say I see many crap aircraft day to day. Owners are quite happy to buy a brand new Landcruiser but not spend a cent on their aircraft.

Many owners are happy to fly wrecks :-/

Dora-9
2nd Aug 2013, 11:23
Griffo - it's even worse, they're about to classify the Tiger as a warbird!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Aug 2013, 12:47
Hi Dora,

GIMME some guns..!!!

Or a few rotten eggs even....

:ok::eek:

p.s. So....Wot R we gunna do wif our beloved Chippies..??
:p

RatsoreA
2nd Aug 2013, 12:51
Are the chippies made of wood, Griffo? There is technology to convert sawdust to oil... You could be using them to fuel your 210! :E

Dora-9
2nd Aug 2013, 20:30
RatsoreA -While Chippies are not made of wood, they do cleverly convert noise into oil - then spray it everywhere!

Old Akro
2nd Aug 2013, 21:55
Sad to say I see many crap aircraft day to day.

And if you were a car mechanic you'd see many crap cars.

Lets not mix up poor maintenance workmanship and owner indifference up with aging aircraft. That's one of CASA's many naive mistakes which stems from decision making in air conditioned board rooms filled with career public servants.

Creampuff
3rd Aug 2013, 01:14
OA: Hear! Hear! :D:D

Sunfish
3rd Aug 2013, 01:19
Agree with Old Akro. McCormick is not a maintenance professional. He is just a former pilot with a hatred of anything he doesn't understand - most especially GA aircraft and operators.

How many GA accidents in Australia have been caused by structural failure in normal service? The ATSB would know and should have been consulted before McCormick opened his yapper.

004wercras
3rd Aug 2013, 01:59
Hate to tell you this but not only does the Screamer hate GA but he also hates human beings in general. When he started with CAsA almost 5 years ago he went nuts with all the weekend phone calls he would receive which always related to a GA accident somewhere around the nation. He once said that he wished all recreational aircraft were banned from flying on the weekends if for any reason so that he could have some peace and quiet! He only has time for those who have or are flying the big tin, that is it.
His active involvement in the CX Star Chamber is an accurate yard stick from which you can 'measure the man'. Say no more...

Sunfish
3rd Aug 2013, 20:25
Looking at the ATSB summary 2000 -2011 accidents or incidents in GA caused by airframe failure was 4.6% ot the total.

McCormick has fallen into the trap of looking for low hanging fruit. It is easy to swan around looking for corrosion and those CASA people must remain employed.

I wish ATSB would do the analysis better and see if there is any correlation between aircraft age and structural failures that were actually preventable by better maintence practices or increased maintenance schedules.

My guess would be that training offers much better opportunities for actually lowering the incident and accident rate, for example the rates for privately piloted helicopters are horrendous.

Avgas172
3rd Aug 2013, 21:14
Like OA my C172H has around 6000 hours, always been hangared and has had many times more dollars spent on it than Cessna charged for it in the first place, it is currently going through the SIDS program and I'm confident it will still be flying a long time after McComic has departed for the world of tails and hooves (I believe it's hot down there). The comparison of a 52 Chev sitting in a farmers paddock quietly rusting away and Victor Bray's 52 Chev blasting down the quarter, is as applicable as the photo's from CASA in their blurb and my 172H.

004wercras
3rd Aug 2013, 21:46
Avgas172, now you're talking!! Bray is a legend. I spent many a cool Ipswich night at Willowbank watching Victor push the envelope :ok:
As a teenager i would hear the big man working on his engines from almost 2 km's away on a Sunday morning and he would then allow me to hang around his workshop and watch and learn.
Later I spent 5 years work on my ZD Fairlane. Full nut and bolt rotisserie restoration down to the last flake of paint. That car was better than the day it left the blue oval showroom, even the doors closed better than an 'off the factory floor' version back in 71.
Pity Victor didn't take an interest in aircraft :E

There are GA aircraft out there that have been maintained, massaged, restored and in a condition better than a European fashion models breasts!
We are talking aircraft that would exceed any safety/mechanical/maintenance condition one could conjure up in a CAsA back room legal department.

CAsA's methods and wisdom actually reflects its leaders quite well - Old, outdated, out of touch and worthy of a rubbish bin.

Clearedtoreenter
4th Aug 2013, 00:01
How many GA accidents in Australia have been caused by structural failure in normal service? The ATSB would know and should have been consulted before McCormick opened his yapper.

Well, isn't that the key question. Potentially the government should be asking their agency that question. It seems they are wasting so much of this country's hard earned doh on this and potentially making a whole tax paying industry unviable on the basis of some very spurious risk assessment. That's if they are doing any risk assessment at all. C'mon CASA, show us the data! Oh what, there isn't any?

RatsoreA
4th Aug 2013, 01:32
Correct me if I'm wrong, but McCormick is essentially a public servant, right?

And are we not 'members of the public'?

As members of the public, do we not have the right to question our public servants? They are here to 'serve the public' after all?

Why are we not lambasting him personally with emails, letters etc asking why he went off half cocked, spouting this sh!t to the world?

The rest of the general public (non-aviators) are hardly going to take an interest in this subject, so there won't be much in the way of correspondence giving him a pat on the back!

However unlikely it is that change will be effected, it has zero percent chance that it will happen if we just sit back and take it.

As much as I dislike the greens, when ever some tree gets lopped down, there is always a group on the news protesting it, sometimes only small, but they are still getting their crackpot opinion across!

Just because he is in a position of authority, doesn't automatically make him right.

Viva lá revolution! :}

Oracle1
4th Aug 2013, 02:43
No revolution is complete without a guillotine :*

004wercras
4th Aug 2013, 11:31
Oh well, while the industry is being buggerised, becoming too expensive and restrictive to operate within, businesses are going bust and pilots are earning crap salaries our friend Mr Skull pockets $500k per year, an annual bonus of around $60k plus superannuation of just over 15%. This by the way excludes the use of his corporate credit card, daily away allowances and business class travel and 5 star accommodation.
I guess that is worth thinking about don't you think?

owen meaney
5th Aug 2013, 02:21
RatsoreA,
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Feedback to the Director (http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100169)

RatsoreA
5th Aug 2013, 02:36
owen meaney,

Yep, seen it, filled it out!

But completly slipped my mind to post it here!! :ok:

dubbleyew eight
5th Aug 2013, 04:38
How many GA accidents in Australia have been caused by structural failure in normal service?

the thing is that aircraft are designed to a design target that accommodates the stresses likely to be seen in flight. You don't just build an aeroplane.
to keep it light enough to fly it has to be designed so that it can handle the likely stresses. The encapsulation of these needed strengths has been in FAR23, the american design standards, for decades.

Light sport aircraft has a supposedly simplified design standard managed by the ASTM people. I was shown a copy of this and it beggars belief. the section on tailplane loads isnt even legible or complete. the sections of FAR23 that it was extracted from are legible and complete.

so you have to wonder whether the people in CASA who sanction all this stuff even remotely understand the design process at all???
if they don't understand the design process how will they ever understand the maintenance realities???
has the CASA of today been dumbed down to a totally clerical and lawyer staffing???

where is their competence????????

004wercras
5th Aug 2013, 05:02
Dubbleye, congratulations and a chocolate frog is your reward!
You have worked it out son. The person sanctioned with light sport aviation oversight has never flown a plane for a living or turned a spanner. A long term bureaucrat, yes man and lawyer who has hidden below mounds of desk documents for decades. So you are damn straight when you speak about competence (or lack of). It is farcical that these individuals area making the rules.

parabellum
5th Aug 2013, 05:31
Correct me if I'm wrong, but McCormick is essentially a public servant, right?

Not sure how it works in Oz but in the UK they deliberately took the function out of the Civil Service, (Board of Trade), and set up the CAA as a separate agency charged with regulating civil aviation. A requirement was that they become self funding, through fees, rather than by tax payers money, this way the user pays but not everyone else as well. CASA could well be a similar such agency, they certainly charge like a wounded bull!

A golden opportunity was missed when they set up CASA, it should have been CASA and Airport Car Parks, aviators would never have had to pay another fee!!!;)

Up-into-the-air
5th Aug 2013, 06:29
Not here parabellum!!

Here is the best news I have seen lately [hahaha]:

Dear Industry participant

CASA has undertaken a periodic review of its cost recovery arrangements in accordance with the Australian Government Cost Recovery Guidelines, July 2005. The review is now available for public comment and CASA would like to extend to you an invitation to read and provide us with feedback on the Cost Recovery Impact Statement – Periodic Review at the link below:

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Fees (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91512)

There are no new fees or increases to existing fees. Further clarification on when regulatory services will attract $190/hourly rate is provided.

All comments can be directed to [email protected].

Closing date for comments is Friday 30 August 2013.

Craig Jordan
Chief Financial Officer
Be nice if any of us could earn $ 190/hour.

No wonder casa gets the regs wrong - CAO 100.5 live on !!!

How about some directed comments peoples!!

Creampuff
5th Aug 2013, 07:09
Well there it is in the CRIS, in all its horrible splendour: The estimated cost of the regulatory reform program.

Table C, under the heading “Standards Development”, against the line item “Safety Standards”, FY 12-13: $18,077,908.

$18 million or so, times how many years? :yuk:

004wercras
5th Aug 2013, 07:11
Yep, $190.00 p/h. Understandable when we are funding a bloated bureaucratic department.
The FF 2013/14 plan gives you a breakdown of how deep the trough is, but as an example, yes just one example, The Skull has a salary of approx $500k per year, annual bonus of around $60k, superannuation of 15.75% plus daily away allowances stretching into the hundreds, 5 star accommodation, business class airfares and a very generous and robust corporate credit card!

So $190.00 p/h is the average cost recovery needed to fund the CAsA circus and its out of touch salary structure. And they get bonuses for f#king everything they touch!

Kharon
5th Aug 2013, 21:43
Get more bang – for YOUR buck. A quick survey of the local Cat houses shows that the real professionals can earn as much as $1500 per hour. I mean if you're going to be a star in the in the oldest, great game in history, you should be properly recompensed for time and labour; it's only fair. I guess the only difference is the average house special worker is honest and upfront about how the money is made, what they do and what they are. Better value for money too of course.

I do hear on the grapevine that the real specialities are horribly expensive and reserved strictly for the top dogs; I guess feeding any sort of 'habit' becomes expensive..

Old Akro
5th Aug 2013, 22:03
So $190.00 p/h is the average cost recovery needed to fund the CAsA circus

CASA costs $173m pa to run
After public holidays there are 249 working days per year.
CASA employs 808 people.
Therefore the average cost per person - including everything including the pot plants - is $107.48.

How is the remaining $82.52 justified?

004wercras
5th Aug 2013, 23:19
The extra $82.52 could be made up from;
• Consultants
• Maintenance of the Brisbane basement worm farm
• Replacing level 3 smashed office furniture and plastering and painting walls
• Adhoc trough indulgence
• Avian water for the pot plants
• False teeth, Zimmer frames and adult nappies for their more senior staff
• Internet fees for all the time they spend on Poohtube watching videos of naughty Chopper antics and GA planes busting altitudes by 2.5 feet

There truly is a pot at the end of the CAsA rainbow!

LeadSled
9th Aug 2013, 05:39
This is particularly so when the CASA Schedule 5 (which I assume was developed way back when CASA Airworthiness staff were helpful people) is utilised.

One Eye,
You give CASA credit, when none is due. Schedule 5 is largely FAR 43, Appendix D copied, plus a few bits of OZ bulldust, such as:

Schedule 5, para 2.7

Unless otherwise indicated in the table, where the table requires a thing to be inspected, the inspection is to be a thorough check made to determine whether the thing will continue to be airworthy until the next periodic inspection.

I have been around the aviation business in particular, and life in general, for quite a long time, this is the only time I have come across a situation where mandatory clairvoyance is required by regulation.

And make no mistake, we have cases on record where CASA has prosecuted a LAME after an serviceability well in to to 100 hours on an MR.

As to the criticisms of Schedule 5 (it disappears in the new GA maintenance suite, as far as I can see, despite comments by Mr. McCormick that FAR 43 works -- I wonder does he know what his minions are doing??) common in CASA, that is because Schedule 5 is not allowed to work properly, as FAR 43, Appendix D, works.

Tootle pip!!

Up-into-the-air
3rd Dec 2013, 04:41
The casa annual report needs some careful looking at - casa fails to give all the data as to how abd the pilot community relly is and does not reveal this with any useful analysis.

I found the following to be of interest, which has gone to the analysis of the 2013 annual report:

CASA medicals ? No explaination for huge change in 2013 | Assistance to the Aviation Industry (http://vocasupport.com/?p=2615)

bankrunner
3rd Dec 2013, 10:34
Agree with Old Akro. McCormick is not a maintenance professional. He is just a former pilot with a hatred of anything he doesn't understand - most especially GA aircraft and operators.

He's also got plenty of hatred for those parts of his own organisation that he doesn't understand; the human factors department being a noteworthy one.

Why would an air safety regulator need such a thing? :E

Paragraph377
3rd Dec 2013, 11:01
bankrunner, so very true. He also hates how his people are involved in aviation assistance programs with neighbouring countries, he gives not a toss about the aerodrome inspectors, safety systems inspectors, DG inspectors or GA, whirlybirds, or anything aviation that is smaller than an A320. As mentioned, his respect of HF people is pathetic and the list goes on. With the role of CASA being that of 'safety' you would think that of all people the DAS would understand that safety has no boundaries and that each discipline in CASA, just like in an airline, is important for attaining a safe and compliant operation. Mr Angry's 'only the blokes in the pointy end' attitude is not only archaic but it is dangerous.

Senator Xenophon called these clowns out. He could see that the attitude and lack of ability at CASA and ATSBeaker are nothing short of dangerous and are a contributing factor within our industry's decline in safety standards.
Tick Tock indeed.

Up-into-the-air
5th Dec 2013, 23:10
Latest "news":

The ICC is gone to greener pastures and there has been a new appointee - A Gretchen Bennett.

Research tells me that this person has come directly from the Office of Legal Counsel from [Guess where???] - casa and reported to Adam Anastasi!!

This appointment needs some careful research, being the person who represented casa against Quadrio in the AAT.

Say no more!!

T28D
6th Dec 2013, 03:14
Since they have no understanding of conflict of interest this appointment will fit comfortably with the Board who are supposed to be independent but day by day demonstrate they are not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Arouet
6th Dec 2013, 03:53
Truss needs to put the cleaners through the AAT before he starts reviewing CASA.

No, hang on, isn't that a conflict with the separation of the powers?

Hang on a bit more, isn't the regulator, as part of the executive of government, at arms length from the Judiciary?

Hang on a bit more, isn't the regulator, who writes the rules, also the person policing the rules and then advise the DPP how to prosecute, and after the prosecution, isn't the AAT the next avenue of redress.

Hang on a bit...................

aroa
6th Dec 2013, 04:13
Oh goodie..! another one ..out of OLC and reporting/answering to/ vetted by A Anustasi.. how very robust and independent. NOT :mad::mad:
Will be as useless as the recently departed, altho I hear there was someone in CAsA who found her something to do.:eek:

Socket
6th Dec 2013, 06:32
Really Leady?

And make no mistake, we have cases on record where CASA has prosecuted a LAME after an serviceability well in to to 100 hours on an MR.

Post a few. If they really were prosecutions they are already a matter of public record by the way, so no problems there.

Jabawocky
6th Dec 2013, 13:42
100 hrs....:D

How about several years. King Airs grounded for paint jobs, done right, several years later. 100 hours is nothing.

I am not sure how much Leadie has on file, and trust me we cross swords on some topics, but if he says he has some, you better believe he has some.......and enough to bamboosle us all for weeks.

There is truck loads of evidence out there.

Kharon
6th Dec 2013, 19:30
UITA #43 -The ICC is gone to greener pastures and there has been a new appointee - A Gretchen Bennett.

Research tells me that this person has come directly from the Office of Legal Counsel from [Guess where???] - casa and reported to Adam Anastasi!!

This appointment needs some careful research, being the person who represented casa against Quadrio in the AAT

T28 # 44 -Since they have no understanding of conflict of interest this appointment will fit comfortably with the Board who are supposed to be independent but day by day demonstrate they are not

AROA # 46 -Oh goodie..! another one ..out of OLC and reporting/answering to/ vetted by A Anustasi.. how very robust and independent. NOT

And the industry shrugs, scratches it's collective arse and ambles off into the sunset. This is the ICC, you know, the 'independent' place where you can, at least in theory, air your legitimate complaint and get a fair ruling. The custom is to exercise your daemons there, so CASA can have advance knowledge of on what grounds you intend to sue. Assuming of course you can actually find someone responsible. What a wonderful world.

Frank Arouet
6th Dec 2013, 20:43
The primary purpose of the ICC is to put another hoop to jump through on your way to The Commonwealth Ombudsman who will first ask, have you exhausted every other means of redress.

Indeed, if you get past the ICC, you still have the AAT and complaints then require The commonwealth Ombudsman to make recommendations that would impinge "The Separation of the Powers".

The Constitution means nothing to our regulator. Imagine a bloke who lives in Queensland takes aerial photo's and sells them in West Australia. He gets prosecuted and looses despite the prosecution "Hindering free trade between the States".

If this appointee has "form" in vexatious" prosecutions, the posting is tainted and arguably "frustrates" all applications that cross her desk for review.

Thought should be given to launch a complaint to The Commonwealth Ombudsman against The Industry Complaints Commissioner. All should be looked at seriously, closely and intimately. Commissioner Hart would be the only one to come out without blood on his hands.

Paragraph377
7th Dec 2013, 08:56
The ICC became a complete farce the day that Mr Hart left. So now, as has been pointed out, Libby leaves and a LSG clone takes up the mantle. It's a conga line really - Dr Voodoo trains Anastasi, Anastasi trains Bennett. Dr Voodoo is on the ICC panel, and now so is Bennett. Throw into this mix one Terry F and a Screaming Skull and you have the ICC. Yep, a real 'independent complaints commission' that one. But again, you can add this to the list of decisions Mr Truss and his trusty Lieutenant Mrdak have sanctioned and you see the level of transparency and openness that they quite simply don't want. Yep, another opportunity for wrongs to be righted and Truss turns and looks the other way.

Sadly the only way things will change is through;

1. Creampuffs non aligned independant senators. Or;
2. Sunfish's giant smoking hole. Or;
3. Kharons ferry man picking the eyes out of Fort Fumble. Or;
4. ICAO undertaking a forensic audit and then issuing a downgrade.

Frank Arouet
7th Dec 2013, 23:25
I guess the idea of the whole mob self immolating is just a dream. Imagine the ruckus with an environmental impact study, plus who has a match. Most don't have Dangerous Goods Training.

Personally I like the combination of 1, 2, 3, and 4.

What Kung Foo That?

dubbleyew eight
8th Dec 2013, 02:36
my nipper, who is being encouraged to join CASA, stridently disagrees with my view but he is wrong....

we are seeing the final flailing death of the problem that has afflicted CASA for all of its life. CASA was seen as the retirement home of the ex-RAAF.

Now the RAAF were awesome, they were government employees so were trusted, they defended the country so were heroes, they knew aeronautical theory backwards, forwards and upside down, what they said could never be challenged, they had flown fast jets so they knew it all.

a guy in a little cessna wasn't anywhere in their league, he hadnt studied high performance jet stuff, he wasnt a hero, hell he only flew a cessna with wheat caught on the bolts. who'd believe him?

The only problem with the ex-RAAF is that THEY KNEW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT GENERAL CIVILIAN AVIATION.
Horscots, the house of reps sub committee on transport safety had to absolutely bludgeon the ex-raaf into doing something about ultralights.

What we are seeing is the final death of the invalid ex-raaf paradigm.
the inner iron circle of CASA know it all, after all they are ex-RAAF.
however what they have never understood is Civilian Aviation.

what an utter cockup the EX-RAAF have made of civilian aviation regulation.

Up-into-the-air
8th Dec 2013, 03:59
Of course it is still there!

McC - ex-raaf and then in the aat you have sqn leader f cox!, then the JQ special witness for casa [but did not reveal his time in the raaf] who just happened to be in the same sqn as sqn leader f cox!!.

The Dep Member would not recuse himself in the case.

So they hide well and do a lot of damage still.

bankrunner
8th Dec 2013, 04:18
we are seeing the final flailing death of the problem that has afflicted CASA for all of its life. CASA was seen as the retirement home of the ex-RAAF.

Retirement home in some cases, in others it's a sheltered workshop for those the RAAF should never have hired in the first place!

Though in all fairness to the ex-RAAF folk, there have been more than a few lured in and lined up with jobs only by old mates from the RAAF, only to depart shortly thereafter after discovering what a toxic place it really is.

T28D
8th Dec 2013, 09:15
Ah The Wing Commanders Club, short term may they reign over civil aviation, like the French Revolution some day there will be a reckoning.

Up-into-the-air
29th Dec 2013, 05:41
It is the season for some fun.

The exercise here is to see if you can match the -tude to a casa dude

I will start you:

ex-ude

To take a NCN and ensure it is never lost and appears if there is a reason to issue a "show cause" notice later.
____________________________________________________________ ________

exude protrude seclude ineptitude occlude delude obtrude pulchritude allude fortitude preclude denude magnitude rectitude prelude aptitude lassitude turpitude platitude elude pulchritude allude fortitude preclude denude magnitude rectitude prelude aptitude lassitude turpitude platitude elude
Which is the casa (d)ude who has du-uded you??

Cactusjack
29th Dec 2013, 05:47
Why not, I'll have a play!
"Protrude". I have had several unwarranted pineapples from them left protruding from my anus!
Do I win a stoogie, Hawaiian shirt or trip to Montreal?

UITA, you talking bout Dude Love?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNQ6wvOvqA

Well here I am! Cactus jack
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjOqZw0sLg

Tick Tock

Up-into-the-air
22nd Jan 2014, 00:09
READ this and weep

How on earth can you really say this John???

January 2014
From the Director of Aviation Safety
John McCormick

As we move into another busy year I would like to thank people and organisations across the aviation industry and throughout the wider Australian aviation community for the time and effort they put into helping to develop the new safety regulations. Input into the regulatory development processes is made at a number of levels including participation in the Standards Consultative Committee, taking part in working groups developing specific sets of rules and providing feedback on discussion papers, proposed rules and final drafts. I appreciate and value the effort made by everyone who takes part in regulatory development because CASA cannot do this job on its own. We need the expertise and practical knowledge of people working in the aviation industry to test ideas, translate concepts to safety regulations and to ensure the best possible safety outcomes are achieved with the appropriate level of regulation.

I understand the regulatory development process can at times seem cumbersome and drawn out. However, like many things in life, the devil is in the detail, and we must get the rules right. At times this means revisiting sets of rules to make improvements to ensure the right safety outcomes are being achieved with regulations that do not place inappropriate burdens on the aviation industry. It is largely feedback from aviation people and organisations that informs the review and improvement of rules and this was the case with important amendments made in December 2013. A range of improvements have been made to the rules covering pilot licensing and training, the operations of maintenance organisations, aircraft engineer licences and aircraft registration. These changes aim to reduce costs, improve safety and make transition to new rules easier.

The package of changes to the licensing suite of regulations includes a range of improvements. Student pilot licences will no longer exist, meaning less red tape and costs for students and flying schools while maintaining the same level of safety. The requirement for a photographic pilot licence has been dropped in favour of pilots carrying an acceptable identification document. Additional aircraft types have been added to the new aircraft class rating system to simplify requirements and reduce costs. Flight instructor rating proficiency checks have been simplified to permit a single proficiency check for the rating. The number of flight reviews for helicopter pilots operating some single engine helicopters has been reduced. I cannot list all the changes to the licensing regulations here, but a link below will take you to a summary of the changes.

The amendments to the maintenance and aircraft registration regulations are important and took effect from 18 December 2013. These changes allow continuing airworthiness management organisations supporting regular public transport operations to also manage airworthiness for aircraft used in charter, aerial work and private flying. This simplifies regulatory requirements for a range of maintenance organisations. The changes also streamline CASA’s processing of aircraft maintenance engineer licences and associated ratings. In the area of aircraft registration, CASA will now be able to suspend registration rather than being required to cancel when CASA has not been notified of an aircraft change in ownership within the specified timeframe. This has obvious benefits to aircraft owners.

Please find out more about the changes to the licensing, maintenance and aircraft registration regulations by following the links below. These changes flow directly from the feedback CASA has received from aviation people and organisations. By listening and acting CASA has created better regulations that still strive for the best possible safety outcomes while reducing costs and red tape where possible.

Find out more about the licensing suite improvements (http://casa.grapevine.com.au/lists/lt.php?id=f0UDDQEECQMAUx9VAgoOTA0IBQgE).

Read about the maintenance and aircraft registration changes (http://casa.grapevine.com.au/lists/lt.php?id=f0UDDQEECQMAUh9VAgoOTA0IBQgE).

Best regards
John F McCormick

thorn bird
22nd Jan 2014, 00:57
"We need the expertise and practical knowledge of people working in the aviation industry to test ideas,"

But John old mate you just don't listen!!

The vast majority of the "Industry" have been telling you. Give it up, accept CAsA as it exists will never get it right, go hat in hand to the Kiwi's while there is still some "Industry" left to resurrect, adopt their reg's and let the "Industry" get on with doing what they do, being Industrious!!

dubbleyew eight
22nd Jan 2014, 01:42
I am reading this new poo.

this has me intrigued....
61.117 Identity checks—student pilots
(1) CASA may, by written notice given to a student pilot, require the student pilot to provide evidence of his or her identity in accordance with paragraph 6.57(1)(a) of the Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005.
(2) The student pilot commits an offence if:
(a) CASA has not told the student pilot, in writing, that he or she has complied with the requirement; and
(b) the student pilots an aircraft.
Penalty: 50 penalty units.
(3) An offence against this regulation is an offence of strict liability

the way I read this CASA can do what it wants. ...MAY...
but if CASA hasnt told the student... just how are they expected to know?

the student has in their mind that they are a student. they are off doing the flying training unaware of CASA's embuggerance.
so CASA may or may not advise the student but the student is victim to a 50 point penalty if CASA hasnt told them.
if CASA hasnt told them how would they know???

when will we see penalties of strict liability for CASA stuffing up????

dubbleyew eight
22nd Jan 2014, 02:20
gee some of this is amazing.

61.355 Retention of personal logbooks
A person commits an offence if:
(a) the person is required to keep a personal logbook under regulation61.345 or 61.350; and
(b) the person does not retain the logbook for 7 years after the day the last entry is made in it.
Penalty: 50 penalty units.

so if your log book is stolen or gets burnt when the house goes up in a bushfire 50 penalty units.

Up-into-the-air
22nd Jan 2014, 03:00
Here is another little gem :ugh::ugh::

Key benefits of the new regulations

International Harmonisation: operating under regulations that are designed to enhance aviation safety and align the Australian legislation with modern international regulatory practices will maintain and improve Australia’s international competitiveness in the aviation industry.
Higher standards: increased flexibility & responsibility.
Reduction of cost to industry, if regulatory compliance is maintained.
An instrumental role in maintaining and improving Australia’s international competitiveness in the aviation industry.
Market growth for regulation 30 organisations deciding to become CASR Part 42, 145 or 147 organisations.
For licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, provision of a perpetual license means lower costs.
Implementation of competency based training for Part 66 licensing an ICAO and government standard
Enhancement of aviation safety through human factors and Safety Management Systems.
Greater clarity around the nature of 'safe standards'.

The one I like best is:

Greater clarity around the nature of 'safe standards'. and how does this work??

Reduction of cost to industry, if regulatory compliance is maintained.

Jabawocky
22nd Jan 2014, 04:05
UITA

That is complete BULLSH!T and JMac knows it. The reason I know he knows it is he has been told and told and told, directly, by many.

So someone is peddling spin from within and he is publishing it.

Creampuff
22nd Jan 2014, 06:31
So if he’s intelligent and he knows that what he’s saying is bullsh*t, I can come to only one conclusion about his character.Greater clarity around the nature of 'safe standards'.I’m on the edge my seat. :zzz:

Will they turn out introverted or will they turn out extraverted?

It's all very Orwellian. Do you think they could find anyone who actually believes this vacuous twaddle about the 'new' (1998) regulations any more?

Kharon
22nd Jan 2014, 07:22
CP # 65 It's all very Orwellian. Do you think they could find anyone who actually believes this vacuous twaddle about the 'new' (1998) regulations any more?

Cracked me up, more to the point, does anyone believe this man dare stand up and expect said twaddle to be believed. I'll try a pint of whatever he's on; just as an experiment like.

No Sir, we regret you cannot bring wabbits or catamites into this establishment. Taxi miniscule? - anyone else?. What part of bugger off needs a 16 page explanation; please tell me, I'll draft it" : immediately.......Jack nailed it though on another thread.

CJ - Lucky he wasn't in a deep sleep and having a dream about Miranda Kerr, 2 goats, a drum of baby oil and a Twister mat!! Cleaners to bay 4 please!!

Duck Pilot
23rd Jan 2014, 17:51
Off the topic slightly, I noticed that CASA are trying to hire a couple of FOIs, one in CBR and the other in MEL After a quik review of what the requirements are I am somewhat confused as to how they can expect to attract any suitable applicants with what they have on offer, especially for the job in MEL. I recon they are at least 50K short if not more on what a person with the quals in an airline would be getting, even from a budget airline. I also get the felling that the MEL position may have been re advertised as I seem to recall a very similar position being advertised late last year.

Question is, if they don't get suitable applicants, who do they hire? Not being judgemental, just curious as to how they fill these positions if they can't match what's being paid outside.

Cactusjack
23rd Jan 2014, 19:44
Duck Pilot, I'm not sure exactly which FOI position you refer, but on average the FOI's make around $140k base (some long termers are on a lot more) Add to that around $30k for endorsements, Monday - Friday roster, 15.75% super, daily away allowances, and a host of other trimmings and you end up with packages that would in most cases equal or exceed Tiger, JQ, Cobham, QLink, maybe VA F/O etc. Trimmings include internally (taxpayer) funded education courses, conferences, and potential career progression into senior management roles that range from $200k average up to $300/$400 k plus.
Cheers

Duck Pilot
24th Jan 2014, 08:23
Thanks Cactus, that makes puts a little more gloss on it!

Creampuff
24th Jan 2014, 08:26
And it's zero risk money, which is always much more valuable than the same amount of money that entails risk. :ok:

Mach E Avelli
24th Jan 2014, 08:45
Actually, the brudders gave it the correct term:.. 'sit down' money.

Up-into-the-air
24th Jan 2014, 08:48
And if casa think there is a risk, casa can always issue a new instrument to cover it.

thorn bird
24th Jan 2014, 10:58
Well guys rumour has it CAsA are handing out A380 Type ratings to 70 year olds, I can see a hell of a lot of "Old Farts" having a rethink regarding retirement.

Mach E Avelli
24th Jan 2014, 20:23
If true- and I have no reason to doubt it because CASA do dole out type ratings - what are the criteria? Experience on similar types? Probable time to retirement?
Does the recipient enter into a bond for return of service. Fark, no, they do not!
More than one FOI has grabbed an expensive rating then sloped off after an indecently short time.
Old boy network indeed. Questions need to be asked, but who to ask them?

Cactusjack
25th Jan 2014, 09:08
DP, I forgot to add the use of Comcars is included, you get a supplied and paid for mobile phone and laptop, and a corporate credit card (to be used cautiously). You keep all frequent flyer points earned and you receive a uniform (Jackboots and night truncheon not included).
And of course most offices are in standard government top shelf condition with ergonomic chairs, height adjustable desks, air conditioning, showers, lunchrooms with every trimming and of course the all important pot plants!!
You get all public holidays off, 5 weeks anal leave per year, and here is a tasty fiddle for you that not many know about - As part of your employment agreement you supposedly work an extra 1 hour per week approximately (hahaha yeah right, biggest snow job on record that one), that way at Xmas time you get the days off between the public holidays, CAsA shut down and everybody relaxes for 10 days at home at the taxpayers expense!!!

So Duck Pilot, should you be successful with your application you will need to (oink oink) change your Pprune handle to 'Pig Pilot' old son!
Now, get your CV ready and go forth and conquer, there is a whole world of public service extravagance awaiting you :ok:

Duck Pilot
25th Jan 2014, 17:30
Thanks for enlighting me even further CJ! I would imagine most of the T&Cs are aligned closely with other government departments.

The use of a Comcar though? That's a new one, is that Oz wide or only in Canberra and maybe the major cities and only obviously on OCB?

Up-into-the-air
26th Jan 2014, 00:11
Rumour, Rumour, Rumour

Was there an A380 rating for a senior casa employee allowed for and paid for recently??

What is the basis for ratings being paid for by casa??

How does casa relate pay grade to the payment for a rating??

Does casa use the ratings in assessment in all cases where a rating has been paid for??

How many years before retirement were the last A380 ratings paid for by casa??

Just questions, Just questions

WAC
26th Jan 2014, 00:50
Cactusjack, what EXACTLY is involved in the 5 weeks anal leave a year?
I guess that will put a few applicants off.....:uhoh:

LeadSled
26th Jan 2014, 03:21
Question is, if they don't get suitable applicants, who do they hire?

Duckie,
Unsuitable ones, of course, as the ranks of FOIs ( and AWIs) illustrate.
For the good guys in the FOI ranks (Yes!!, there are, unbelievably, still some left) it must be very embarrassing to be lumped in with the seriously dud ones.
Tootle pip!!

advo-cate
26th Feb 2014, 02:10
Well McComick - In September 2008 a helicopter pilot was filmed in a YouTube clip, with casa dropping the case due to the CDPP advice in July 2010.

However, casa continued into the AAT [in mid-2011], where the accused Mr. Quadrio did not admit any guilt.

He was in fact admonished by the member for "not owning up".

The member who admitted he knew the casa "expert", but did not recuse himself.

The prime casa witness was a "Coglan", the same one as below [which appeared in the Cairns Post on 22nd February 2014], whose statement did not even state the same place for the flight as the casa "show-cause notice":

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/flyingoz/coglan22ndfebruary2014_zps08980cff.png

bankrunner
27th Feb 2014, 11:53
The use of a Comcar though? That's a new one, is that Oz wide or only in Canberra and maybe the major cities and only obviously on OCB?

That's because Cactus is taking the mick :ok:

Comcars are for Senators and Members of Parliament only. Public servants don't get a look-in; they never have.

The part about keeping FF points used to be true, but hasn't been since 2009. Status credits and therefore lounge access are fair game though.

Up-into-the-air
13th Mar 2014, 08:54
The latest AC from today: (http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/060/060c02.pdf)

2 Flight Simulator Approvals
2.1 Application

Applicants for Flight Simulator Approvals should apply to the local CASA Field Office in writing, providing the following:

a. Flight Simulator User Details
b. Flight Simulator Approvals sought
c. a copy of the Training and Checking Organisation approval (if relevant)
d. a copy of the Training Syllabus which specifies the flight simulator-based training sequences (if relevant)
e. a list of all configuration differences existing between the flight simulator and the applicant’s aircraft
f. proposals for differences training (if relevant)
g. Flight Simulator Operator
h. Flight Simulator Identification details
i. Flight Simulator Qualification Level
j. a copy of the Flight Simulator Qualification CertificateWhere is the local field office??

should apply to the local CASA Field Office in writing,Didn't Fort Fumble close all these.

I wonder if the editing of this document just happened to miss a copy of the US version??

Up-into-the-air
14th Mar 2014, 05:53
THE HEADLINE “AIRHEAD DOES Bellyflop” appeared on page 13 of a national newspaper, followed by a report that .............. , the general manager of general aviation operations at the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, had done a wheels-up in a Bonanza.

Guess who??

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/flyingoz/TheBonanzain1999_zps0f4d553a.png

Cactusjack
14th Mar 2014, 06:18
Nice landing!! Hope said pilot got himself a lawyer at the time, surely the 'R'egulator would have tried to take action?? Naughty pilots :=

Clinton McKenzie
14th Mar 2014, 09:49
I'm pleased to report that FIM's still going strong. I guess that's why they invented insurance ...

One of the many important lessons I learned in the wake of the incident is that there is a scarily large number of illiterates in aviation in Australia. I wrote an article spelling out what happened, it's available on-line, and there are still people who talk about a 'wheels-up'! The PIC and I still laugh about it, when we catch up.

I now no longer wonder why GA in Australia is in the state it's in. :{

Paragraph377
14th Mar 2014, 10:17
Clinton, long time between overs, funny that you pop your head up now!
Be careful that the IOS don't chop it off :=
There's a good boy, fly away now!

'Wheels up'

dubbleyew eight
14th Mar 2014, 10:43
selecting undercarriage retraction at particularly inappropriate moments seems to be a CASA party trick.

as you say "thank heavens for insurance" wouldn't want to bear responsibility for ones actions would one. not the way CASA works. :mad:

Clinton McKenzie
14th Mar 2014, 10:48
QED. :(

If you use the 'search' function, P377, you'll find out that I post quite frequently.

So when did CASA take your licence away? It obviously and understandably affected you deeply.

dubbleyew eight
14th Mar 2014, 11:41
serious question clinton.

did your BFR get signed off after that flight?

Paragraph377
14th Mar 2014, 11:41
So when did CASA take your licence away? It obviously and understandably affected you deeply.
No no good sir, no wheels up landings for me. Licence intact, albeit somewhat restricted these days (old age is a bitch and retirement is a necessary evil). This old dog has seen more transatlantic crossings than the sun itself! It would have taken a heck of a lot more than a couple of bookworms, a few Chromosome deficient Inspector Plods and some pineappled ex lawyers to pinch my license :=

But hey, we are brothers, fellow pilots, why should we squabble when we should be embracing the skies of this glorious country while we still have air in our lungs old friend :ok:

gerry111
14th Mar 2014, 12:49
My recollection of Clinton McKenzie's article in 'Flight Safety' September- October 1999 of his incident in A36 Bonanza, VH-FIM was simply this: After landing with the undercarriage down and locked, he attempted to retract the wing flaps but misidentified the undercarriage lever, before the squat switches had taken over.

I've flown with Clinton on the odd occasion over the last twenty eight years. And I'm happy to say that I consider him to be the most competent and safe pilot that I've ever flown with. These days, he leaves the wing flap clean up to prior to the engine shut down checks.

Not really sure why there's a few of you out there in PPRuNe land, that hate the guy so much..

dubbleyew eight
14th Mar 2014, 13:45
dont hate the guy at all.

casa live in a dream world where their embuggerance is never applied to them so they are never really aware of how much of a cockup this regulatory mess affects people.

there are legislative changes made in other countries on the basis of safety cases.
here in australia you can get the tick if you are one of casa's mates, but only if you are one of casa's mates.

I still want to know if his BFR was signed off after the flight.

you see if it was is shows a man who is prepared to "flagrantly ignore safety" and if he wasn't a casa staffer would probably be hounded and found a not fit and proper person to hold a licence. one rule for casa and fcuk the rest of you.

Up-into-the-air
14th Mar 2014, 14:54
I did a google search tonight and found the following:

AMSA Executive contacts (http://www.amsa.gov.au/about-amsa/organisational-structure/amsa-executive-contacts/)

Office of Legal Counsel
Clinton McKenzie
Phone (02) 6279 5874
Fax (02) 6279 5017

Just if anyone needs to talk to him and ask some more questions.

By the way, the last post was in September 2013 [http://www.pprune.org/8069496-post22.html] (http://www.pprune.org/8069496-post22.html])
and a post I just can't fathom as to why it would be published in this context:

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/502557-casa-chess-game-17.html (http://www.pprune.org/7568313-post321.html)

gerry111
14th Mar 2014, 15:21
So... Shock, Quelle Horreur...

He doesn't work for CASA anymore. So when did he last do so?

Over to you, up-into-the-air and w8? Please tell us all that.

Just a little bit tacky, in my view, to identify PPRuNe posters publically....

Waghi Warrior
14th Mar 2014, 18:32
Whoopee do guys get on with life, to drag up sh!t that is irrelevant to the core topic and publicly exposing names indicates how much spare time some of you people must have.

Cactus, based on you in depth knowledge of CASA you are beginning to portray the traits of a current or ex 'R' egulator :ok:

I don't work for CASA and I'm certainly not trying to defend them, however lets face it no 'R' egulator as Cactus puts it will never have a super chummy relationship with industry - fact.

Lukim

Clinton McKenzie
14th Mar 2014, 21:30
serious question clinton.

did your BFR get signed off after that flight?Of course not, W8. It wasn't signed off until the next flight (which ended slightly less embarrassingly...).

I’m not your “brother” or “friend” P377. I don’t make friends with cowards.

As for you, UITA, I posted in the ‘photos’ thread on 8 March 2014 (post #874) – i.e. less than a week ago. Contact details for a job I left 15 years ago? WTF? You and P377 are part of the reason GA in Australia is in the state it’s in: An oversupply of idiots in a very small village. (Spot on WW: They both work/ed for CASA!)

Looking forward to the next big trip, g111. :ok:

Frank Arouet
14th Mar 2014, 22:10
QUOTE:I'm happy to say that I consider him to be the most competent and safe pilot that I've ever flown with: QUOTE.

That makes him as 'average' as me. We both have the same number of take off's as landings and that's a good thing. Who wants to be a great pilot?

The 'Bone on the belly' is embarrassing, but what the hell, he walked away from it and the door obviously opens.

Paragraph377
15th Mar 2014, 03:33
Ouch
I’m not your “brother” or “friend” P377. I don’t make friends with cowards.

Para377 = Doc Holiday (not Doc Voodoo) and Clinton = Ed

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y6Es3lL8ts

dubbleyew eight
15th Mar 2014, 09:15
I asked today about the tactile knobs on the switches and how you could misidentify an actuator with a wheel knob and an actuator with a wedge flap knob.

I'm told that the design of the controls on the particular aeroplane is crap and it is very easy to select the wrong actuator. particular care needs to be taken to identify that the correct actuator is selected.

considering the details I was given clinton was a victim of poor cockpit design.

LeadSled
15th Mar 2014, 14:16
Folks,
Lousy design of flight controls have cost a lot of lives over the years, and vast embarrassment in the non-fatals.
Early Bonanzas were a particular problem, some of the eastern block light aircraft of the 1950/60s were an accident looking for somewhere to happen.
Tootle pip!!

Clinton McKenzie
15th Mar 2014, 21:07
I think I was the victim of a lack of currency. That meant the risks posed by the cockpit ergonomics of the particular configuration Bonanza were a bigger trap than they should have been.

A lot of people don’t realise that when the dual control column is fitted to a ‘single pole’ Bonanza, the horizontal bar that holds the pilot and front pax control wheels can completely obscure the pilot’s view of the row of switches that include the flap and undercarriage switches. Also, on some Bonanzas/Barons the undercarriage switch is the same place as it is on Cessnas – just a little to the right of your right knee and a ‘reach across’ to the flaps. When you fly a mixture of aircraft types, watch out!

Anyway, my mistake and I paid and learnt from it. As g111 notes, these days I simply leave the flaps down on my V35 until I’ve finished taxiing. And good ol’ FIM is still going strong!

Hope others learn from my mistake.

Safe flying. :ok:

Up-into-the-air
16th Mar 2014, 03:51
Perhaps you need to give Creamie a leg up and show him where his expose [posted for you here (http://www.pprune.org/8379873-post605.html)] could give proper direction to the industry, rather than just have him be negative again.

Who called “everybody in industry” an “idiot”, aroa?

There is a bunch of people who keep doing the same thing over and over again without learning any lessons. For my part, I consider that bunch of people to be idiots (or insane). But that’s not “everybody in industry”.

It’s pointless writing to a Laborial or any of their pet officials about aviation regulation. To a Laborial, “credible” means “might affect our political fortunes”. The people who write about matters relating to aviation regulation usually vote Laborial, so there’s little to be gained from pretending to care about the subject matter of their correspondence. By definition, therefore, almost all correspondence relating to aviation regulation is “incredible” and may safely be ignored. Quote:
I have my money on warren truss …
I have my money on you losing your money. Nothing personal, mind, and in a way I hope to be proved wrong. But investment decisions must be made using the head, not the heart.

The Socialist Agrarian Party, of which the Minister is leader, has as much interest in and dedication to the encouragement and expansion of aviation in Australia as its Coalition and opposition partners. Have you not been paying attention for the last 20 or so years? Quote:
The Panel didnt asked to be spoon fed on how to do it …
You evidently haven’t been invited to speak to the Panel yet.

Perhaps I’m an idiot because I’ve said this “for the last time” before: The only glimmer of hope is a ‘whole of industry’ approach to the non-major party aligned Senators post-1 July, urging them to follow Senator X’s lead on matters aviation. The Laborials will pretend to be vitally interested in and dedicated to the interests of the aviation industry in Australia, when the Laborials need the vote of the non-major partly aligned Senators and their vote is contingent upon action in relation to aviation regulation. Short of that, you might as well resign yourself to more of the same and stop bleating.

Clinton McKenzie
16th Mar 2014, 05:19
You, P337and Creampuff are idiots!

See if your idiot brain can work that one out. ;)

Paragraph377
16th Mar 2014, 05:31
You, P337and Creampuff are idiots!
Its Paragraph377, not 337

And Clinton, you call Creampuff an idiot, why is that? What has he done to you? :=:=

dubbleyew eight
16th Mar 2014, 08:07
I should sent you a Tee shirt clinton. what size are you?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpHn3VqTyMNrq36ZhOfWhjIfrU4AetJC9VJo6Menr 8FTQ4qVlB

Clinton McKenzie
16th Mar 2014, 09:03
Congratulations, W8!

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ynj72q.jpg

Paragraph377
16th Mar 2014, 09:13
Oh dear, first it was me, then aroa, always Frank and now W8 is no longer Clinton's friend! What to what to do :=

dubbleyew eight
16th Mar 2014, 09:14
last off topic deviation. ....promise.

when I was a young sprog each landing ended a flight with chirp, chirp, chirp.
I wondered why I never heard it any more.
one of the guys put his finger on it while we were sipping a beer one night.
....I'm getting slower. :E

clinton is ok, mate.

Clinton McKenzie
16th Mar 2014, 09:25
Actually P337, I’ve never nominated aroa or Frank. W8’s nomination is an ‘inside joke’.

You, on the other hand, are a life member!

Paragraph377
16th Mar 2014, 09:33
You, on the other hand, are a life member!
I'm actually honoured! I will drink to that :ok: