PDA

View Full Version : Private pilot license in the states

Stefankb
1st Aug 2013, 01:32
Hi guys, sorry if im posting in the wrong place, new to this forum!

I wondered if anybody could offer some advice regarding travelling to California to begin my pilot license.

I can't afford to do it in Aus but have got family to stay with in the states.

Would my training be recognised in Australia upon return?

Cheers- Stefan.

LeadSled
2nd Aug 2013, 03:40
Stefankb,
There are quite a few advantages of going to US, the major one being that the FAA licenses are far more widely recognized, internationally, than an Australian license.

If you look at the CASA web site, all the policies about recognising foreign licenses are laid out.

With family in the US, you have a head start in getting a green card, to get some post training experience, and don't forget, the aviation world is far, far bigger than Australia.

Pick the right training organisation in US (not the license factories) and the style and breadth of the training will be quite different to the very narrow focus, and limited variety, of conditions available in Australia.

The whole approach to aviation in US (or Canada) is refreshingly different to the the anal "compliance" based approach here. I am bound to say that I generally find the general stick and rudder skills of US pilots of my experience are of a higher order than here.

The US approach, from FAA policy down, concentrates of training to cover what accident records (here and in the US) show needs emphasizing, stick and rudder skills, particularly at low speeds, rather than rote learning large slabs of regulation and being "word perfect" on "radio work", as opposed to communicating effectively.

The one area of absolute commonality between US and AU is the miniscule income potential in the early stages of a pilot's career, but you are stuck with that.

In short, go for it!!

Tootle pip

thunderbird five
2nd Aug 2013, 05:36
You could get the whole private licence in US, (probably a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot quicker and with a whole lot less hassle) then get a Special Pilot Licence back here quite readily. Check CASA regs- CAR VOL 2, Division 18, CAR 5.197 onwards. I know a guy with one, no problem at all, that's all he has. Note in the regs it says CASA "must" issue when you apply, not "may" issue.:ok:

LeadSled
2nd Aug 2013, 07:47
Stefankb,
You will need Homeland Security clearance to do any flying training, all the details on the FAA/Homeland Security web sites --- give plenty of time for the process.
Tootle pip!!

Stefankb
13th Sep 2013, 04:08
Awesome thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. Any ideas whether or not California Aviation Services have a good reputation? They seem to be reasonably priced and are in an area that is close by. Stefan.

fleigle
15th Sep 2013, 00:24
Stefan,
You have a PM
f

DUXNUTZ
15th Sep 2013, 01:52
Hi there,

I used American Flyers when I did my US PPL and found them adequate. Also try to fly as many different aircraft types as possible so you can put them on your Aussie license when you come back.

AerocatS2A
15th Sep 2013, 03:03
Also try to fly as many different aircraft types as possible so you can put them on your Aussie license when you come back.

Aussie licence doesn't specify types unless they're multi-engine >5700 kg so I can't see that being relevant unless he's doing his PPL in a Shrike Commander or something!

DUXNUTZ
15th Sep 2013, 11:21
Ok, slip of the tongue. Endorsements. Was referring to light twins, or any twin you can get your hands on.

Lasiorhinus
15th Sep 2013, 15:16
And, come December, Australia won't require individual endorsements for light piston twins, either.

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2013, 17:15
Will that be for all twins <5700kg, including turboprop, as is the case in the USA?

seneca208
15th Sep 2013, 22:23
They are creating a new turbine design feature endorsement, so that could well be the case.

Mr.Buzzy
15th Sep 2013, 22:56
Speaking of licences. Come December, how will the new Australian licence fare overseas?

Bbbzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mach E Avelli
16th Sep 2013, 03:28
Buzzy, it would only be fair if other countries treated it as CASA treats their licences, and vice versa. Which means it probably won't get much recognition, but probably as much as it deserves.
Fortunately for us there are still some places that think we are OK. In spite of our non-ICAO system, PNG, USA and NZ are already quite reasonable in what they recognise. Notable exceptions being Blighty, Froglandia and all of Yoo Rup now. Their peoples are, of course, far superior to us mere colonials. Just ask 'em...

Tinstaafl
16th Sep 2013, 05:30
I wonder if I should have the various types I've flown & licences/ratings/endorsements I've gained overseas added onto my Oz ATPL now? FAA SES, a few turboprop types, a co-pilot type rating on a business jet, a few piston twins I hadn't flown in Oz, pressurisation and the like.