PDA

View Full Version : Current Flying Practice?

FLGDLS
31st Jul 2013, 17:58
So, I as a military pilot I am looking to gain my ATPL in the next few years, before I am due to leave in 2018. I keep being told that despite having an ATPL, I will also need to be in 'current flying practice' to stand a chance of getting employed by an airline.

Is this true-mour or rumour?! I have heard figures of 60 hours within the past 12 months quoted as one potential definition of 'current flying practice'. Any clarity on this issue would be appreciated as it massively affects my decisions in the next couple of years!

G-F0RC3
1st Aug 2013, 21:42
I assume there is some truth in the idea because ratings lapse and they need you to do some hours to stay current. Makes sense since you don't really have ATPL skills if you haven't touched the controls for a long time. :) But perhaps someone with more experience could clarify for sure.

clunk1001
2nd Aug 2013, 08:40
Depends on the airline. But yes, some do quote a specific number - I know FlyBe asked for '50hrs in previous 12 months' when they recruited last. Clearly only for people just out of training, or those instructing, paradropping etc. Anyone trying to 'keep current' themselves would not get a look in.

DavidWoodward
2nd Aug 2013, 08:44
It's not a hard and fast rule but I guess it's desirable. I spoke with someone from Loganair a few years ago and they said that they would look at what you've been doing after gaining an ATPL and see whether you have gone on to instruct, para drop etc while waiting for the airline job. I suppose it's airline specific.

Icanseeclearly
2nd Aug 2013, 18:43
I was in your position a few years back (ex fleet air arm)

It depends on what you fly in the Air Force, if rotary then I would suggest you do you IR down at airways in Exeter within the last 12 months in the crabs that way it counts towards your currency

If fast jet / multi engine then your hours in the last year will count towards your currency

A good way to get the hours in the last year is volunteer to fly for the Air Experience Flights on the grob.

Most airlines would expect you also to have a valid IR and MEP at the time of joining. A Multi Crew Certificate is also required which you will need to do if you fly a single pilot aircraft (eg tornado)

Hope that helps

johnpilot
20th Aug 2013, 04:54
Get you ME/IR and apply to Qatar and or Etihad