PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Accident, Lakenheath,Autumn 1953

BATURNER
31st Jul 2013, 16:19
I was on a Canberra Conversion Course at 231 OCU,, Bassingbourne during September to November 1953. A member of our Course (possibly F/O Saunders) was fatally injured when he crashed just short ot the runway at Lakenheath. He had just completed a practice approach at Sculthorpe and it was found that he had inadvertently switched off all six fuel pumps resulting in both engines flaming out. He apparently saw the Lakenheath runway lights and attempted to land there but struck the roof of a building just outside the perimeter fence. The navigator (I think F/O Peter Smith) was seriously injured but survived. I was indirectly involved in the aftermath as my friend F/O Don Ross knew the pllot's family and asked me to drive him to Cambridge to notify his wife which we did. I have been unable to find any record of this event and the actual result of the Inquiry.Anyone out there have any clues?
An Ancient Navigator

ORAC
31st Jul 2013, 16:40
Not at Lakenheath, it ws Mildenhall.

ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 20745 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=20745)

Date: 04-NOV-1953
Time:
Type: English Electric Canberra B.2
Operator: RAF 231 OCU
C/n / msn: 71097
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 0
Other fatalities: 0
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Phase: Initial climb
Nature: Military
Departure airport:
Destination airport:

Narrative: Both engines failed on climb out from night GCA, undershot forced landing.

Sources: Air Britain RAF Aircraft WA100 - WZ999

November4
31st Jul 2013, 18:33
And from Last Take Off by Colin Cummings

The aircraft climbed away normally from a GCA to RAF Lakenheath. At 1000 feet, both engines failed and the pilot turned the aircraft towards RAF Mildenhall and made a distress call. Unfortunately, the aircraft lost height rapidly and struck th ground 500 yards short of the runway, slewed around and came to rest against a row of cottages. Although the navigator, Plt Off PJC Smith was injured, the pilot (Plt Off Harold Roy Saunders age 22) did not survive.

Plt Off HR Saunders (http://www.veterans-uk.info/afm2/roll-of-honour.php?SerialNo=R3140)

Surname
SAUNDERS

Forenames/Initials
Harold Roy

Rank
Plt Off

Service
Royal Air Force

Service Number

Station
RAF Bassingbourn

Date of Birth
07 October 1931

Date of Death
04 November 1953

Cemetery Name
Bassingbourn Cemetery

Grave Number
I.I. 9

natservnav
25th Sep 2013, 13:44
As a very new pilot Officer I wa posted to RAF Mildenhall as acting adjutant to the support unit there. I was orderly officer on the night of the crash (about 10.00pm I think) and with the help of the duty sergeant organised a picket to secure the site, mainly to keep the American fire team away! There was no fire and the navigator was saved but I believe he lost both legs at the knees. It is 60years ago but the memory is still vivid