PDA

View Full Version : LAPL revalidation recording

BigEndBob
31st Jul 2013, 11:49
Anyone know how to do this seeing as its not written into the licence revalidation page as per Easa PPL.

I suggested to my club member that he stick is old revalidation page into the back of his logbook and get it signed off in the normal fashion.

Whopity
31st Jul 2013, 13:14
The LAPL does not have an aircraft rating or a revalidation page.
FCL.140.A LAPL(A) — Recency requirements
(a) Holders of an LAPL(A) shall only exercise the privileges of their licence when they have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilots of aeroplanes or TMG:
(1) at least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings; and
(2) refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with an instructor.
(b) Holders of an LAPL(A) who do not comply with the requirements in (a) shall:
(1) undertake a proficiency check with an examiner before they resume the exercise of the privileges of their licence; or
(2) perform the additional flight time or take-offs and landings, flying dual or solo under the supervision of an instructor, in order to fulfill the requirements in (a). It is all experience based, there is no revalidation as such, it rolls continuously subject to meeting the above requirements.

nick14
31st Jul 2013, 13:16
Signature and licence number in the log book would normally do for that sort of thing maybe?

Whopity
31st Jul 2013, 13:24
For the dual flight, but not mandatory.

BigEndBob
31st Jul 2013, 17:40
Thanks Whopity, all seems quite sensible really.

Whopity
31st Jul 2013, 17:45
One would like to think so however; I have seen a sample EASA LAPL with an SEP rating in it. Also most EASA licences don't include the LAPL in the privileges even though it cascades down. Last week I saw an EASA PPL with no ratings in it at all!

BigEndBob
31st Jul 2013, 22:57
The first one i have seen was today, it had SEP(land) as a rating.

Whopity
1st Aug 2013, 07:06
The LAPL is a licence a bit like the old PPL SLMG and PPL Microlight in which the rating forms part of the licence. It seems nobody at the CAA can remember that. The licence should say LAPL (Aeroplanes) (Helicopters) (Sailplanes) etc.

According to FCL135A Classes, Types and Variants should be anotated in the Limitations section of the Licence.

BEagle
1st Aug 2013, 08:07
Another EASA LAPL gem is that if recency lapses, it can be regained by flying a Proficiency Check....

Which would be fine - except that there isn't such a thing as a LAPL Proficiency Check defined anywhere in the Aircrew Regulation.....:rolleyes:

They admitted this error at the FCL-IF meeting in April - no doubt we will have to wait until FCL.002 for a proposal.

Whopity
1st Aug 2013, 08:26
And even if you complete this non existent check you still need the hours Holders of an LAPL(A) shall only exercise the privileges of their licence when they have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilots of aeroplanes or TMG: at least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings

nick14
1st Aug 2013, 08:42
The requirement states that holders of an LAPL that do not meet the recency requirements shall:

Pass a PC with an examiner or

Fly the hours as dual or solo under the supervision of an instructor.

Does (b) allow you to do one or the other?

Whopity
1st Aug 2013, 10:11
I think the word "only" in (a) precludes the either or option!

md 600 driver
3rd Aug 2013, 16:23
whopity

where does it say that in the regs

Also most EASA licences don't include the LAPL in the privileges even though it cascades down cascades down

the medical does

Whopity
3rd Aug 2013, 20:56
FCL.305 CPL — Privileges and conditions
(a) Privileges. The privileges of the holder of a CPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to:
(1) exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL and a PPL; and:
FCL.505 ATPL — Privileges
(a) The privileges of the holder of an ATPL are, within the appropriate aircraft category, to:
(1) exercise all the privileges of the holder of an LAPL, a PPL and a CPL;
Now for the anomaly:
FCL.205.A PPL(A) — Privileges
(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.No mention of LAPL!

md 600 driver
3rd Aug 2013, 21:19
So does that mean it does sometimes cascades down but not for private pilots aeroplane and helicopter or is it a typo

nick14
4th Aug 2013, 08:49
So does that mean that if the SEP rating expires then a CPL or ATPL holder can still fly aircraft less than 2 tons?

BEagle
4th Aug 2013, 11:17
No, the PPL does not 'cascade down' to the LAPL. It is not a typo; the CAA did explain the reason (it's somewhat technical and is mainly a helicopter thing) - but I can't recall it.

If you don't have the LAPL recency to exercise privileges as PIC you either have to fly the non-existent LAPL Proficiency Check relevant to the aircraft class or complete the relevant shortfall of hours under supervision.

If an SEP Class Rating lapses, a CPL holder could only exercise LAPL-level SEP privileges if he/she was within the relevant validity period.

It was quite surprising how many airliner drivers at the club where I used to fly didn't know that they weren't permitted to exercise PPL-level privileges on SEP aeroplanes without a valid rating...... "I fly 747s every week - why do I need to be tested to fly a puddlejumper?" was the response from one ba Nigel when told he would need to fly a revalidation proficiency check in a PA28....:rolleyes:

nick14
4th Aug 2013, 12:58
Jesus!

I fly jets for a living but I would never expect to just walk into a club and rent a PA28 without a valid SEP and currency requirements. Apart from the very perception that you were such a good pilot you could fly anything they have completely different methods of operation!

And people moan about the standard of the young jet drivers.......