PDA

View Full Version : Flight Experience Sim

pohm1
31st Jul 2013, 09:56
Volunteer instructors. Is this a joke?

Link to ad (http://www.afap.org.au/Jobs/Latest-Jobs/AFAP-Pilot-Jobs-.asp)

Aviation Volunteer Opportunities

Are you looking to give something back to the aviation industry? Perhaps you are either a current or retired Airline Pilot ready to impart your aviation knowledge and experience? Then come and join our friendly Flight Crew Volunteers!

Our Flight Crew Volunteers are highly valued members of staff. They contribute to the operations and programs, working side by side with our staff. In fact, generally our staff are ‘low-hour’ CPL pilots with a passion and hunger to learn. They benefit from working alongside our experienced Flight Crew Volunteers as much as the public does.

Flight Experience™ is an aviation entertainment and training business operating a CASA Approved, Boeing 737-800 Flight Simulator. We are approved by Boeing; in fact we are the only business of our type in the world to be a Boeing ‘Official Licenced Product’.

We offer flights in the simulator to the General Public (entertainment), Fear of Flying Program (Medicare Approved), Schools, Corporate and Team Building Events and Pilot Training (Airline Interview Preparation, Instrument Recency and MCC Courses).

Flight Crew Volunteer:

This is an exciting opportunity to work with the public and impart your aviation experience and knowledge.

Duties will include:

Instructing customers in the simulator and facilitating customer’s aviation experience
Customer service
Mentoring program
Volunteer Benefits:

Enjoy the many volunteer’s benefits (eligibility depends on the number of hours volunteered). They include:

Free simulator time based on hours volunteered
20% off standard Simulator Gift vouchers and Store Merchandise
Flight Experience™ Name Badge, ID Card, Epaulettes, Wings and Tie
Certificate of Service signed by the Flight Experience™ Director
Attendance at the annual Christmas Dinner
Volunteers also enjoy personal benefits like the sense of satisfaction and rewarding experiences.

We Offer:

Chance to impart your aviation knowledge and experience
Full training for the Flight Crew Volunteers role. Including manuals and continued support
Flexible roster
Refreshments at the local café
Discounted parking
The chance to become proficient with a CASA approved FSD-2 Category B Synthetic Trainer
Insurance:

Volunteers are fully covered by appropriate levels of insurance while at the simulator

A new low.

P1

wishiwasupthere
31st Jul 2013, 10:00
But you get a name badge, an ID card, epaulettes, wings and a tie!

Yep, what a joke. AFAP shouldn't have even put the ad up IMHO.

S7ARSCR3AM
31st Jul 2013, 10:35
It might start giving some GA operators ideas! Perhaps that is part of the "experience!" You will work for us, and you'd better be grateful for it!!

These is the the same company that would make employees pay $500 for "training."

Race to the bottom!

josephfeatherweight
31st Jul 2013, 10:48
That is appalling. Unfortunately, they probably won't be short of applicants...

pohm1
31st Jul 2013, 10:50
I have asked the AFAP to examine it. Surely if they accept the ad, Award conditions should apply?

P1

Mach E Avelli
31st Jul 2013, 11:20
Very astute of them.

As it is not a real job and real aviation is not being committed, I don't see the AFAP taking much interest. It's really just a very poorly rewarded fun-park attendant job. Maybe it's a job for Actors Equity. Disney World, Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Daisy could be the co-respondents.

pohm1
31st Jul 2013, 11:26
Pilot Training (Airline Interview Preparation, Instrument Recency and MCC Courses).

If I were doing instrument regency or MCC courses, I'd say its real enough?

P1

Wally Mk2
31st Jul 2013, 12:18
I guess it's a free world, no one is being press ganged into this position.

I think the most disappointing part about this is voluntary work is usually for a good cause you know to benifit some disadvantaged sector of our society as just an Eg not to line the pockets of some private company & or individuals.
Lets see the profits from this venture go to some organization/s that assists perhaps young pilots thru a well set up scheme whom might have the aptitude but not the funds.
As 'MEA' said it's very astute of them & seeing it's a business operating within the law then anything goes !

Wmk2

Dangly Bits
31st Jul 2013, 12:29
But you get "Discounted Parking"!!!!!!!!

Checkboard
31st Jul 2013, 14:09
You get what you pay for, I guess.

They seem to have decided that they really want some 68 year old dandruff-ridden duffer without a life wheezing his halitosis over their customers about "the time he used to fly airliners". :rolleyes:

Centaurus
31st Jul 2013, 14:24
They seem to have decided that they really want some 68 year old dandruff-ridden duffer

If its the same franchise lot that operate a 737 "Flight Experience" joy flight in most Australian cities to catch the tourists, then forget the Dandruff Man.
They only want cool looking young kids, preferably with a GFPT qualification, to wear the 4 bars and dangling ID cards who attract the tourist chicks and boyfriends. Huge wristwatch and big wings mandatory:ok:

If you have nose hairs and lots of flying experience then you have Buckley's.:uhoh:

fl610
31st Jul 2013, 17:01
If you have nose hairs and lots of flying experience then you have Buckley's.

Like you Centaurus? :E

Ok, I'll get my coat!

framer
31st Jul 2013, 20:07
It's really just a very poorly rewarded fun-park attendant job.
The thing is, the company is there to make money, yet they are asking people to " volunteer" in the money making process without getting reimbursed.
If the outfit was ' not for profit' it would be fine.

Orion Delta
31st Jul 2013, 21:09
Dangly Bits makes a very good point - the discounted parking is definitely a deal breaker :D :\

Ultralights
31st Jul 2013, 22:06
They only want cool looking young kids, preferably with a GFPT qualification, to wear the 4 bars and dangling ID cards who attract the tourist chicks and boyfriends. Huge wristwatch and big wings mandatory

and as soon as those kids with a GFPT get into that sim, they suddenly believe they are high time hotshot airline jocks! just ask one if you can roll the aircraft, and the look of horror on their faces is hillarious! and they start to complain of the damage it will do to the aircraft! even a stall will have them shaking in fear!

great entertainment. :E

LadyLlamapilot
31st Jul 2013, 23:24
It might start giving some GA operators ideas! Perhaps that is part of the "experience!" You will work for us, and you'd better be grateful for it!!

S7ARSCR3AM, where do you think they got the idea in the first place??? :E

Mach E Avelli
31st Jul 2013, 23:28
How could a roll damage an 'aircraft' that does not even have a motion system? Maybe the video game that it is needs re-booting if the "bank angle" man speaks and the 'instructors' are not trained to do that. Or the visual effects make them throw up.

For all that, it does seem to be a very good business model that aims to cash in on all the Walter Mittys out there. Both customers and 'employees'.

Homesick-Angel
1st Aug 2013, 00:34
They roll juuuuuust fine.:}

Lookleft
1st Aug 2013, 00:57
Even work experience kids have to be paid a minimum of $5. I wonder how legal this is as it is obviously a for profit organization?

Ultralights
1st Aug 2013, 03:04
How could a roll damage an 'aircraft' that does not even have a motion system?

thats why its so entertaining, they sincerly believe they are flying a real aircraft!

JAMUP
1st Aug 2013, 04:17
Yes add is been removed.

Thank you AFAP.

Wally Mk2
1st Aug 2013, 06:23
Interesting the add has been removed, I mean like I said in a previous post no one is being press ganged into the so called 'position'. I would have thought that most intelligent people would refrain from seeking this 'position' anyway & just laugh it off as another stunt by desperate people.
Obviously this sort of thing goes against the grain of probably 99% of pilots as has been demonstrated here amongst these pages but really I fail to see the angst it caused. I wouldn't have applied myself like pretty much everyone else & I couldn't care less whom did but it is or was after all a personal decision, no one should be able to tell another what they can or can't do regarding this sort of thing.
Aviation is a totally different ball game these days with the only thing left over from the past is the actual reason as to why we fly (commercially that is), to transport boguns from one place to another, the rest is debatable!

Interesting times ahead:)

Wmk2

Wmk2

Pilot intercept
1st Aug 2013, 09:47
Never posted here before but when I read this i felt compelled.

As an enthusiast I've been here a few times. Most of the "instructors" I've met here were just young pilots working part time and all seemed like good kids. They never took it too serious. They just wanted to chat about aviation and have fun with you. :ok: they didn't seem to enjoy being dressed up though :p
Talked to a few of them and they didn't have many nice things to say about management. Seemed to think they were business type people with no idea about flying. Would explain this ridiculous position. It's pretty disgusting they want to do young kids out of a job to save a few $. I won't be back if that's the case.

It's not cheap! How can they not afford to pay a few kids minimum wage? :=
You can't walk into the place without some idiot (didn't have a pilots shirt on, manager or owner maybe?) trying to sell their over priced crap. :yuk:
Maccas might start taking on volunteers next so they don't need to employ anyone!

vee1-rotate
1st Aug 2013, 12:21
I was disgusted when I saw this on AFAP, but as an ex-employee it did not surprise me in the slightest. Like the poster said above, the flights in this "sim" were all in excess of $200, and staff were all young, mostly pre-CPL prospective pilots, all of us being paid very poor wages.

They must really be struggling, or just plain brain dead to think that people would do this job for free. I'm sure the next step will be to try and change the job title to be able to get some cheap workers from overseas on a 457 visa !

2020Balance
1st Aug 2013, 12:55
Seen 2 Airline pilots (1 ANZ, 1 QF) do their dough now on this place in SEQ. Apparently the Bne sim has been back in the hands of the parent company for quite some time trying to find the next victim. Mates have gone in for interviews and have been told Airlines look highly on Flight Experience employment. What a load of Crap.

Pilot intercept
1st Aug 2013, 14:34
Interesting. It was only maybe a month ago I was there and I like it. It's a shame. For someone like me who will never fly them for real it is good fun. I would of thought a good business idea also. They obviously Arnt making money or they wouldn't try doing this. Guess I'll need to find something else to spend money on. I feel sorry for the young guys there. It's always the people on the front line that do a good job that suffer from the inadequacies of the fools in the back office.

pohm1
1st Aug 2013, 16:25
I received a reply to my email from AFAP, the ad was pulled after several complaints.

Rightly so.

P1

jandakotcruiser
1st Aug 2013, 18:32
Is the contraption used for sim flight experience certified for CAA check rides? If so, it can help guys avoid the exorbitant charges laid by Air NZ.

Gmac115
2nd Aug 2013, 00:33
Haha this company is a joke. How they got approval from casa to do whatever it is they do I'd beyond me. I enquired last year in Sydney about doing some recency in the sim. All I got was some sleazy sales guy trying to tell me how wonderful their sim is. The guy didn't have a clue what he was talking about either. Wanted to give me his advice but apparently he had no aviation background.. I soon walked out. Like someone said, this is not a professional aviation business but an amusement park ride and should be treated as such.

Mach E Avelli
2nd Aug 2013, 00:54
It would be interesting to test their claims that the 'simulator' is CASA approved by rocking up for an I.R. renewal with your log book.
Tell them that you are already endorsed on the B737, so you only need testing by an ATO. Ask them to produce an ATO who can sign it off before parting with your money.
Does the simulator have a CASA approval number and is it on display, or at least available to view, before you spend your money?
Where is their flight school AOC? Soon they will require a CASR Part 142 approval. Who is their current CFI and who will be their Director of Training?

Watch them duck and weave.