PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G3X, Dynon Skyview

skyboy999
31st Jul 2013, 07:35
Planning cockpit for new LSA build. Looked at the options and it comes down to Garmin G3X and Dynon Skyview for me though I appreciate many others' capabilities.
The G3X is in pole position but, looking at the installation manual, the magnetometer seems to be ultra sensitive which, whilst undoubtedly great for performance, dictates benign position which is likely to be difficult to achieve in an LSA and I wouldn't want to have to cut inspection plates etc to be able to get at it for maintenance. In contrast, the Dynon seems far less intolerant.
Anybody experience of these, especially the Garmin?
Thanks

Rod1
31st Jul 2013, 08:04
No experience with the Garmin kit but the equivalent MGL module I installed in my MCR worked fine first time with minimal fuss. I am midlands based (just off the A50) so if you are at all interested in MGL kit I would be happy to show you my installation and talk you through it.

Rod1

rjtjrt
31st Jul 2013, 10:21
Skyboy
PM sent to you about this.
John

smarthawke
1st Aug 2013, 19:55
We have around 80 hours experience of dual Dynon SV1000 screens in an RV-12 with the 2 axis autopilot and Mode-S transponder. Also linked into the Garmin SL30 nav/com.

We ditched the Jeppesen database for PocketFMS for less than half the price and far better info for UK VFR flying.

Dynon updates come out regularly and give new toys to play with such as the recent autopilot upgrade, data logging etc - all for free. Just download onto a USB stick, plug it into the screens and update them.

EMS pages are user configurable.

Excellent kit, excellent support.