PDA

View Full Version : Real Tonga Advert Afap

Peacock2013
31st Jul 2013, 03:40
Has anyone got any background information Regards these guys? Was thinking of sending in a CV, although i don't have a B65 rating but im guessing not many low time pilots do these days.

Anyone know if any of the ex nz Chathams pilots are involved chief pilot etc, or is it all Tongan company. I have been to Tonga when i was a kid, dad still calls it the A$$hole of the pacific, has it changed much in the last 10 years and the sort of place expats could live?

Any info would be good, have read a bit of stuff regards this MA60 and looks like the company getting a bit of bad press.

Little NOTAR
31st Jul 2013, 20:24
I know that none of the Air Chathams crew are involved with this company, except for the fact Chathams are still in Tonga under contract until Real Tonga sort themselves out.

The MA 60 is an interesting machine, in the fact the performance figures for it are totally unsuitable for the Tongian airfields, well not with any great percentage of seat occupancy. Unfortunately the locals believe if an aircraft has x seats then why can't we put x people on board.

I would suggest staying away unless you want to be responsible for the creation of an artificial diving reef off the end of a airstrip in the Pacific.

Split Flap
31st Jul 2013, 21:18
Your Dad sounds like a smart man.

training wheels
1st Aug 2013, 03:21
The MA 60 is an interesting machine, in the fact the performance figures for it are totally unsuitable for the Tongian airfields

Out of interest, how long are the strips in and around Tonga?

bowing
1st Aug 2013, 04:40
Peacock what happened to your dad in tonga?
Why he perceives Tonga as that hole?

Massey058
1st Aug 2013, 05:53
trainingwheels,

I know there was a strip ~1000m that the CV580 used.

illusion
1st Aug 2013, 07:30
If you check the front row of the All Blacks you might note that the average Tongan does not match the standard weight criteria....another commercial issue you will fight over with the boss.:eek:

Aviast
1st Aug 2013, 12:07
No doubt you've read the many recent news items?

Tonga loses NZ aid over use of suspect Chinese aircraft - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-09/an-tonga-loses-nz-aid-over-use-of-suspect-chinese-aircraft/4809676)

My thoughts are that the "MA-60 is unsafe" line is a smoke-screen which serves two purposes. It allows the NZ govt to:

pull aid funding which would effectively be subsidising competition to a NZ company (Chathams), and
avoid offending the Tongans by saying that Tonga doesn't have the capacity (skills, management, etc.) to run a safe airline.

As an expat living in Tonga you'd be fine as long as you don't miss fresh milk and good meat. I would be concerned about the competence of the airline management and maintenance, but if you can satisfy yourself as to those items I'd say it's worth checking out....

Wingman09
1st Aug 2013, 19:12
Peacock2013

I worked with the kiwi company in Tonga for a couple years and have since left. At the moment Real Tonga have the B65 on there books and that's it, they got no crew to fly it hence why they are advertising. As a low time pilot I wouldn't recommend heading up there at the moment, no check and training people and no qualified senior people. You are likely to get a big Royal stuff around.

As for the big MA60 carrot that may be dangled in front of you I'd stay away. The only captain they have to fly it is same guy using the big black rubber stamp to certify the thing, head of there civil aviation department. I think it's not so much the fact it's a Chinese plane and has a poor safety record it's the guys that will be flying it. We heard a rumour the pilots were scrapping in the sim in china, trying to blame each other for crashing the sim.

Tongans not to bad a place to live but you have to have patience and expect to see some extremely dumb human behaviour. If ya do end up flying up there always remember that someone is always trying to kill you in one way or another, if it ain't in the plane it will be on the drive to and from work!

Goodluck!

Mach E Avelli
1st Aug 2013, 22:54
Much as I love the old Queen Air, I can't think of a less suitable aircraft for short cycle scheduled service hauling big loads in high ambient temperatures.

At the very least they will need two spare engines and a bunch of spare cylinders on the shelf, and the expertise to change them.

Also, this is not the ideal first twin, so if they go for a low time (and you can bet low-paid) pilot, the whole thing will be yet another failure in Tonga's long history of aviation failures. Chathams was probably the closest they have ever been to a properly run air service.

sahni
9th Sep 2013, 10:45
Just found this article. Even it is from a passenger's point of view it gives you an idea of working conditions of Real Tonga Airlines. Stay clear I'd say..

Has anyone else had bad experience with Real Tong Airlines - Tonga Forum - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294141-i5178-k6825679-Has_anyone_else_had_bad_experience_with_Real_Tong_Airlines-Tonga.html)

the_rookie
9th Sep 2013, 11:21
Geez what a read!! That's absolutely pathetic from RTA

Mach E Avelli
10th Sep 2013, 10:34
To hell with offending the Tongans. If their airline really is that bad on the ground, alarm bells should be ringing. If they can't even control schedules and bookings - bread and butter stuff for any air operation - their ability to crew and maintain aircraft to acceptable standards would surely be seriously in doubt.
At the very least, until they get a proper safety audit, a travel warning should be issued.
And quite right to cut off their aid, too. Or at least make it conditional on getting some expertise in there before they kill a bunch of tourists.