PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks, long hair/ scholarship and jobs

kyyle
29th Jul 2013, 23:52
Hi everyone

I would like some advice

I have a Interview for a helicopter pilot scholarship this week and I'm really looking forward to interview process

I already no what I'm wearing and fully planned ahead until today somebody spoke to me and said I had no chance due to my deadlocks now before anyone goes off on one my deadlocks are clean I wash them once or twice a week, I don't no who doesn't wash there hair regardless of style, and my dreadlocks are very well looked after. My dreadlocks are only about 6 inch long and get mistaken for plaits sometimes but will this be a issue?

Can male pilot's have long hair as long as it's maintained and looking sharp?

Looking forward to some advice

grumpytroll
30th Jul 2013, 00:26
I ask you this question with the best intentions in mind.

How important is the scholarship to you? It sounds like you are having some misgivings about going in to the interview with dreadlocks. Have you observed professional pilots at work? What about at the airport when traveling, do you see professional pilots with dreadlocks or long hair? Is it possible that you cut your hair to match the style of professional pilots you have observed and then after you get started in the profession you decide what might be acceptable, but from the inside?

I am not making any judgments about what should be acceptable or what you or anyone else feels might be or should be acceptable. I am simply asking you to consider the risk if your dreadlocks are the one thing that separate you from an equally qualified candidate. Then ask yourself, was it worth it? Don't take this personally as this is a very common issue. I had the same discussion once with a guy about his mustache. He said, well, maybe the guy doing the interview likes mustaches. I simply replied, maybe he does like mustaches but if you don't have one and he does like them, how can he hold it against you? He can only hold it against you if you do have one and he doesn't like them. Why risk it?

I have interviewed and hired many people in my life and when asked, I have offered advice to high school and college students about applying and interviewing for jobs. This is the type of question that was often asked. I would ask them to consider looking like any other professional person they have seen. If they continue to push the issue then the question becomes, how important is this to you? Is your current look and image more important that the job you seek? If the answer is yes then you have to accept the possible consequences of you decision. Hair grows back, opportunities do not.

cheers

bigglesbutler
30th Jul 2013, 02:43
I got rid of my beloved Goatie for my interview and I got the job on the first attempt. I'm not able to say whether I would have got the job with the beard but none of my pears have anything similar. 11 years later with the same company I have only seen variations on a full beard, smart hair long or short and no dreads.

The most important question is not how you feel about your dreads NOW, but more how will you create a professional persona with them. Will it be easier to make people think you are professional with the dreads or without.

A the end of the day GT has made a VERY valid point, look around to see what other professionals are dressed etc and use them as your guide. They have made it to where they are working so there is some valid guidance there.

Whatever happens and however it turns out good luck.

Si

Ascend Charlie
30th Jul 2013, 02:55
After getting your short-back-and-sides, have a look at your English grammar and spelling.

if you plan to use a written resume, make sure you use a spell-checker. The stuff you wrote in your post is so poor that I would reject your application before I even saw your dreadies.

As others have written above, what the interviewer sees on first impression is REALLY important, no matter what the huggy-fluffies say about giving everybody a chance. Goatees, dreadlocks, grungy clothing and scruffy appearance are not the things an operator wants his clients to see sitting in the control seat of his million-dollar helicopter.

spinwing
30th Jul 2013, 03:48
Mmmm ...

The advice given above are very valid ...

The point is the appearance of an applicant goes to how he/she rates themselves ... if you appear dishevelled or imprecise in anyway at an aviation interview it worries the interviewer that you 'may' be imprecise in other things as well (such as mental process & decision making) ... and as helicopter aviation is not very tolerant of mistakes, the interviewer likewise will err on the side of safety in his selection criteria.

It may seem unfair ... but that is usually the way it goes in real life.

Good luck ...

Gordy
30th Jul 2013, 04:11
Agree with all the above......and more....

I have long hair, I have knots in the back, have a scruffy goatee, I have a scruffy appearance, having said that---I already have a job, and 90% of the time I am doing fire with people who look like me.

I recently started working in the "corporate field" also. I had to buy nice shoes and pants etc. So far my hair stays, but not for long I suspect.

On a more important note, you may wish to learn the difference between the following:

Know & No

Deadlocks & Dreadlocks

There & Their...This may help:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/misspelling/their.png

Evil Twin
30th Jul 2013, 04:31
Kyyle

I think if you're asking the question, you already know the answer.

ET

VTA
30th Jul 2013, 05:05
Hi Kyyle,
All the points made on this subject are spot on...... I wish you success with the interview and where ever it takes you......

For every decision you make in life remember this simple rule.....
If there is doubt, there is no doubt....

paco
30th Jul 2013, 05:06
From my experience in the Alberta oil patch - absolutely not! :) No rings in the ears, clean car - be conventional. And good luck!

phil

Oh yeah, everybody in the company is on the interview panel as soon as you walk in the door.

kyyle
30th Jul 2013, 07:34
Thanks everyone for your help and advice

Yes I do have to fix my grammar and spelling I shouldn't let dyslexia get the best of me thank you everyone

With my interview I did have In the back of my head that my hair would be a issue however I thought maybe if I go there and do my interview and express I'm willing to cut my hair if it's a issue hopefully may help my chances instead of cutting my hair for the interview and still keeping the possibility of not getting the scholarship as there is a lot of people applying

Simonta
30th Jul 2013, 07:41
You can grow dreadlocks again. Are you certain that you would get a second shot at a scholarship?

kyyle
30th Jul 2013, 08:30
@simonta well if I don't get the scholarship I was planning on doing my ppl myself but the process will just take longer due too funds

Ready2Fly
30th Jul 2013, 08:51
So, why bother...

Capot
30th Jul 2013, 08:58
If you want the scholarship, lose the dreadlocks. And get someone who is literate to rewrite the CV.

As you have presented yourself on this thread, NO-ONE is going to take a chance on you, with a number of bright, keen, equally motivated, "normal" people to choose from.

Work out later whether to regrow the dreadlocks.

I write as a long-time hirer of people, who, once upon a time, took chances on people and almost invariably regretted it.

PS To explain; when we hire pilots, we want conformists. We do not want people who want to stand out from the crowd. We want people who understand the "norms" and stay within them. Individualists are dangerous, because sooner or later they will flout the procedures. If that aspect of being a professional pilot does not appeal, then you are looking for the wrong job.
Dreadlocks are an alternative to having the words "I am not conventional" stamped on your forehead.

kyyle
30th Jul 2013, 09:23
ready2fly - il be putting in personal money and will take me 3times as long

Capot - yes my CV has been written professionally and this is just a forum room if u met me in real life and had a conversation you wouldnt no i have any issues with with my writing

Also i think i am "normal" just because my writing isnt up to everyones "normal" standerd doesnt mean im anything else, as my normal day job i am a manager and manage 16 members of staff that are much older then me and at my age is fantastic its about getting the job done being hard working and dedicated some things can be worked around

at the end of the day yes my hair might be a issue and im willing to sort that if needed

Ready2Fly
30th Jul 2013, 09:40
ready2fly - il be putting in personal money and will take me 3times as long

It was more tongue-in-cheek and rather a rhetorical question. The better your "starting position" is, the better your chances to get where you want.

You have received some valuable information from people sitting on the other side of your table in an interview. The rest is simple now, isn't it?

XV666
30th Jul 2013, 10:15
PS To explain; when we hire pilots, we want conformists. We do not want people who want to stand out from the crowd. We want people who understand the "norms" and stay within them. Individualists are dangerous, because sooner or later they will flout the procedures. If that aspect of being a professional pilot does not appeal, then you are looking for the wrong job.

And there was me thinking that all those 'we don't want' characteristics as being the very essence of a helicopter pilot :p Capot's wants/don't wants sounds more like a brief for an airline driver, the very thing I never wanted to be.

Nonetheless, Kyyle said (my bold):

@simonta well if I don't get the scholarship I was planning on doing my ppl myself but the process will just take longer due too funds

I haven't seen any reference to him going for a CPL(H) and becoming a professional pilot in this thread?

tistisnot
30th Jul 2013, 10:31
Aww, come on ppruners - the Pope's welcoming gays, women and divorcees (ok, some limitations!) why can't you stereotypical Alpha male guys change the attitide the other side of the desk? :D :ugh: :mad:

206Fan
30th Jul 2013, 12:07
Kyyle,

Which training organization is providing the scholarship?

Reason I ask is, Helicentre Aviation at Leicester is the only company I know of providing scholarships at the minute in the UK. I believe they have completed all Interviews for 2013!

alicopter
30th Jul 2013, 12:07
Hi all, something is bothering me here... when a recruiting person has to gage a candidate, should not his first criteria be whether he/she has the qualities or even is "gifted" for the task asked from him/her? What you mean is that you must not have dreadlocks, a beard, a mustache, long hairs, dirty nails or drive an old banger???? Well, you then deprive yourself of any Muslim, Hindu, Rastaquerian, New wave rocker who might be very gifted candidates for flying a machine... What is this called?? Oh yes! Narrow mindedness, racism, biased, stupid ??? I think it even might be against the law. My own son, who is 25, well bred white caucasian franco-english atheist wears half-metre long dreadlocks and I can assure you, in his fields and many others he is a LOT smarter than me or a lot of people with higher responsibilities I know.... In my opinion, it is up to the interviewer to be good at judging characters and not the interviewed to try to be what the guy in front wants... Anti conformism doesn't make you better or worst than others. (but in my book it's a ++) Excuse my English, not my mother tongue... just in case.

PS :Good luck to you "brother" I know that if I was in the interviewer seat, your hair could be long, short, pink, knotted you would have the same chances as any other candidates. Joke,if in doubt about your flyer's skills, I'd invite you for a couple of hours in a glider next week-end, we'd soon find out. You can do it. Do it.

cockney steve
30th Jul 2013, 12:23
[ Goatees, dreadlocks, grungy clothing and scruffy appearance are not the things an operator wants his clients to see sitting in the control seat of his million-dollar helicopter.

IRRESPECTIVE of private or Commercial operations Ascend Charlie hit the nail on the head.

I am not prejudiced, I do know "Rastas" wear Dreadlocks, smoke Dope and are pretty chilled, laid-back people.
Therefore, A Dreadlocked person presenting themselves to rent my (very expensive) Heli, would be mentally pigeonholed into this bracket.

As a Businessman, I'd want to see a conventional, prepared, professional and rule / law abiding self-fly hirer of my machine.

IF I were chartering it out, the Client would expect a Professional Pilot
First impressions count....if the Pilot looks like a "head", he's kicking 5h1t uphill from the off..

It's all a big game....play by the rules, you won't handicap yourself on that score.....plenty more-worthwhile battles than appearing Unconventional.

Yes! been there, done that, beard, shoulder-length hair, the lot....bimnned for suit /tie /company car /Expense account /Telephone.

That job set me up!

topendtorque
30th Jul 2013, 12:51
As a helicopter pilot you need to demonstrate an ability to "pay attention to detail".

One of those details is conformation, another of course is spelling and message content for the simple message which is; "I am asking for the privilege of working for you". By the way, I don't think that you are dyslexic at all.

Having said that one of our company's best pilots was one who authored a hand written, not very legible piece, that accomplished all of the above.

Another paradox to contemplate, and it contains many mixed messages, refers to a true tale related in one of OZ's leading blogs today. I know it is true as it was first told me by my late father who flew with and was a good friend of this gentleman.

The story runs like this; It's war time, an applicant walks into the recruiting office dressed in his work clothes straight from his duties that commenced at daylight as an orchadist, to apply for a fighter pilots position. The recruiting officer takes one look and says, "I am sorry sir but we require fighter pilots to have a university degree".

Clearly the recruiting officer was telling a lie as that was not true at all and he also badly misjudged his applicant. The applicant thus replied, "Oh, would an Oxford degree count?"

The gentleman concerned, none other than John Grey Gorton, who became a famous fighter pilot and prime minister of this great country.

Incidentally it was he who first took his wife with him on a visit to a war zone, not the excuse for a PM we have now who claims some sort of publicity for being the first to take his wife to a war zone when he took her to Afghan land just recently.

It wasn't a publicity stunt by Gorton but a very courageous move by Mrs. Gorton to help the troops who she perceived were having a hard time in Vietnam at the time.

paco
30th Jul 2013, 13:05
"I thought maybe if I go there and do my interview and express I'm willing to cut my hair if it's a issue hopefully may help my chances instead of cutting my hair for the interview and still keeping the possibility of not getting the scholarship as there is a lot of people applying "

Two words: First Impressions!

Nigd3
30th Jul 2013, 14:02
Kyyle

You have heard the responses, so its up to you.

Unfortunately, and sometimes unfairly, the first word that spins through a lot of peoples minds when they see someone with dreadlocks is "stoner". Probably not the best first impression and you willbe fighting it from there on in.

There will probably be plenty of other candidates with similar or better abilities than you who won't have that first impression to overcome.

Do you want to take the chance?

Capot
30th Jul 2013, 14:06
Hello Kyyle,

I would like some advice

I told you what you needed to know to have a better chance of achieving your aims.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I don't quite see how meeting you would change the fact either that you have a poor grasp of English, or that you are deliberately spelling wrongly to prove something.

For all those who think that dreadlocks, bad spelling, smelly feet, whatever, should NOT be factors in selection choices, you are probably right. But if Kyyle wants to improve his/her chances, it remains good advice to smarten up.

Now back to the debate on the morality of it all.

Ian Corrigible
30th Jul 2013, 14:22
Sorry bud, but it's time to reach for the electric carving knife... :E

http://www.ganymede.tv/wp-content/uploads/locksfeatured.jpeg

I/C

Bladestrike
30th Jul 2013, 14:47
I had a huge mop of hair when I started flying, mid-eighties, shaved on the sides and back with this "Sideshow Bob" mass of red ringlets all over my head, hanging over my face. It was great in the night clubs of Toronto, Montreal and Buffalo, NY but when I went job hunting, 100 hours and fresh commercial in my back pocket, I tucked the mass up into a baseball cap so I LOOKED like I had a shaved head. When someone finally hired me, I shaved the lot off and never looked back, but I KNOW I wouldn't have gotten hired if I looked like the wingnut I was.

30 years, 11,000 hours and numerous endorsements and countries and managing International operations and sim instructor and TRE and what-not....I'm almost respectable now, but you have to look respectable for people to even give you a chance.

I wouldn't have hired me!

kyyle
30th Jul 2013, 15:57
alicopter - Thanks with everyone could be like u haha

Ian Corrigible - that picture is to funny :}

206Fan - my interview is in birmingham, its tomorrow

cockney steve - i wear dreadlocks im not a rasta and never have smoked anything in my life but maybe stereo type is why things in this world dont progress, O well

i suppose if i dont pass my interview tomorrow its not the end of the world i will still go on to pay for my PPL it may take longer but hey and in my own time i will cut my hair

i do thank everyone for there constructive advice

there one thing i do know is opinions are like a**holes everyone has one
just got to keep pushing and hope for the best il still go to my interview and hope my personality shines

FC80
30th Jul 2013, 16:37
I've never seen a commercial pilot with dreadlocks. If it comes down to you and another guy with exactly the same attributes who has a short back and sides - guess who they're going to pick? :rolleyes:

You are putting yourself at a disadvantage. No doubt at all.

If you want to fight the 'appearances mean nothing' battle it's your prerogative but you're doing yourself absolutely no favours.

HLCPTR
30th Jul 2013, 17:03
As if it hasn't been said sufficiently already....

When an applicant walks through the door, is he there appearing prepared and does he show the kind of dedication and focus for the position?

Do I want to take the chance that I may be wasting the scholarship on someone who is only in it as a lark and may not have the will and commitment to see it through?

So, can a dyslexic really reed and conpretend tha remulapions ond thu RFM? :p

OFBSLF
30th Jul 2013, 17:29
For goodness sakes, do you want this or not? If you do want it, why aren't you willing to do every possible thing that will improve your chances?

You only have one chance to make a good first impression. You don't get a do over. Saying "I'm willing to cut my hair" won't overcome that first impression.

Go to a barber and get yourself a buzzcut. Shave any facial hair.

Capot
30th Jul 2013, 17:50
and hope my personality shinesAs a final piece of sort of solicited advice, I suggest suppressing your personality somewhat so that it does not shine through.

I base that on what you have shown us so far, knowingly or otherwise, about your personality; this may not be the whole story, of course.

hueyracer
30th Jul 2013, 18:24
So you´re walking towards an aircraft, and you´re on your way to your holidays.....with your family and kids at your side (or your mother, if you don´t have kids)....

While you´re boarding the plane, you look into the cockpit (as the door is open).....

Who would you want to fly with?

1. The pilot who´s wearing dozens of piercings in his face, black hair, facial tattoos, and cutting scars on his arms, or

2. The pilot with a neat haircut wearing his nice uniform, looking all trustworthy?

It´s all about impression-and passengers also only get a first impression.
The pilots appearance is part of the business.....no company can afford loosing clients because pilots do not know how to talk to customers....or how to behave......or how to dress....or because they don´t know how to take showers.....

nomorehelosforme
30th Jul 2013, 19:09
No disrespect, short back and sides!

topendtorque
30th Jul 2013, 20:30
there one thing i do know is opinions are like a**holes everyone has one
Not quite true, keep asking and we will keep supplying new ones. In a legal sense they will come as quickly as each one previous has found the bottom of your pocket. Motto, learn fast, shut up, listen and look.

Do let us know how your interview went.

tet.

nomorehelosforme
30th Jul 2013, 23:05
A****rotation

Keep on the thread, guys and girls, good luck with the interview, let us know the outcome

Ascend Charlie
31st Jul 2013, 02:29
Helicopter scholarships must be as rare as rocking-horse 5h1t, I have never heard of one.

If it is that rare, the people conducting the interviews would have either
(a) only one applicant (the only person who knew it existed - our lysdexic friend with the dreadful lox) or
(b) a squillion applicants of all types of appearance.

Therefore, you will either (a) romp it in with the scholarship, or (b) be an also-ran.

If I was running the scholarship and only had one applicant, I would cancel the competition advertise it better, and run it again.
With a squillion applicants, I would pick the best combination of written resume, interview technique, and appearance to the clients.

Lotsa luck.

Rigidhead
31st Jul 2013, 03:09
One question, if I may?

If you are not going to get the haircut after all of the (solicited) advice
to the contrary by people who have gone through the early stages of their
career some time ago, why did you ask the question in the first place?
Were you hoping for a round of "nah, it shouldn't matter!"?
You are not interviewing for a position as a drummer in a Reggae band.
You are asking someone to invest their money in your career. I think the
minor effort of trying to look somewhat serious about it should not hurt you
too much.

Good luck,

Rigidhead

BOBAKAT
31st Jul 2013, 04:26
http://eng-jokes.com/images/2013/July/30/51f7f60074fad.jpg

:ok:

Flying Lawyer
31st Jul 2013, 07:56
206Fan
Helicentre doesn't offer a PPL scholarship and, to be eligible to apply for a CPL scholarship, candidates have to do their PPL courses at .......... guess where? ;)

Rigidhead
I began to post the same question last night but, after reflecting upon kyyle's reaction to advice already given, decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I hope kyyle will tell us in due course who is offering a PPL(H) scholarship; he's declined to say so far. I'm not aware of any in the UK so am interested to learn.

FL

OTGLU
31st Jul 2013, 08:08
From the limited information given so far, I racall there has been a posting on a helicopter pilot job site for scholarships, advertised in the Birmingham area for 17-24/25 year olds. The email address was for a company called senior helicopters.

Hughes500
31st Jul 2013, 08:59
Kyyle

What is most concerning to me as a chief pilot and type Rating Examiner is your attitude.
You have asked for advice and been given it in no uncertain terms by some very experienced people. Lets say you get your first job, are you going to ask your chief pilot for advice and then totally disregard it ? Let me assure you that is the quickest way of ending your employment and perhaps worse still !
Would suggest if you seek advice ad the overwhelming response is the same might not be a bad idea to follow it

206Fan
31st Jul 2013, 10:27
Flying Lawyer,

Helicentre doesn't offer a PPL scholarship and, to be eligible to apply for a CPL scholarship, candidates have to do their PPL courses at .......... guess where?

Oh that's a hard one :hmm:

I know Helicentre doesn't offer PPL scholarships, I was just stating they are the only training organisation in the UK providing scholarships at the minute, even though they are for the CPL and FI Rating!

Cheers!

ShyTorque
31st Jul 2013, 12:16
Aww, come on ppruners - the Pope's welcoming gays, women and divorcees (ok, some limitations!) why can't you stereotypical Alpha male guys change the attitide the other side of the desk?

When the Pope starts hiring helicopter pilots, he can hire a Beta male, or anyone else if he so wishes....

....... but I'd bet he wouldn't hire a Pagan or a devil worshipper, like most of us are :E

Dynasty375
31st Jul 2013, 12:36
Do Bose actually do a headset big enough to get over those dreadlocks!?

:E

Lose 'em kyyle!

Good luck!

500e
31st Jul 2013, 13:47
Have hired people for the last 45 years my first thought used to be "would they worry my gran" answer "yes" then you are off to a bad start, I would have already formed an opinion, right or wrong from then on it is skewed against you.
My customer expects a level of turnout & professionalism that conforms to his\her expectations, if this is not met they tend to go elsewhere :{
I am also dyslexic both letters & numbers, the spell check a godsend might not get the words in the correct order but mostly the spelling is correct.

Captain Cashmere
31st Jul 2013, 14:10
The pilot who´s wearing dozens of piercings in his face, black hair, facial tattoos, and cutting scars on his arms,

he's got what most people deem to be an unorthodox haircut, that's all.

Bravo73
31st Jul 2013, 14:16
From the limited information given so far, I racall there has been a posting on a helicopter pilot job site for scholarships, advertised in the Birmingham area for 17-24/25 year olds. The email address was for a company called senior helicopters.

Hmmm, a quick google produced this:

Senior Helicopters (http://www.seniorhelicopters.co.uk/index.asp)

Weren't they the outfit that appeared on here recently where you could register a sham company (allegedly) in order to avoid paying VAT on your training? I seem to remember that they were based somewhere in the Midlands.

:suspect:

madflyer26
31st Jul 2013, 18:50
Kyyle,

Your hair is not the crime of the century neither is your spelling. But you should take heed of what the folks on this board suggest. The helicopter industry is awash with pilots with the qualifications to match the jobs they apply for. You need to stand out for all the correct reasons. I have met one chap who is a captain for CHC based in Aberdeen and yes he's Afro Carribean with dreadlocks. Good Luck.
Regards
MF
PS: My grammar ain't great and I made it.:O

kyyle
31st Jul 2013, 18:58
madflyer26 thanks for the advice

i went to my interview today, from the 600 that applied in got in to the 100 short list

even if i dont make it into the top 20 or 10 from here at least i tried thanks everyone for there advice :D

madflyer26
31st Jul 2013, 19:24
Kyyle,
Out of curiosity who is providing the scholarship?
These opportunities don't arise too often so give yourself the utmost possibility of attaining a place. At a conservative estimate the cost of a helicopter CPL is £50k then to have a look in at getting a job in the offshore industry it's a further £50k. The reason I allude to this is for you to appreciate what's on offer to you. I would imagine as the candidate pool diminishes the questions asked by the intwrview panel will become harder. Learn basic rotary wing aerodynamics also learn a little about the type of helicopter you're going to be training on and the primary control functions. If you're truly serious about a career in commercial helicopter flying get studying now and impress the people who might perhaps invest in you.
Regards
MF

RPM AWARE
31st Jul 2013, 19:51
"in got in to the 100 short list"

I can almost hear it now...."I'm afraid it's bad new guys....(long, long pause).....you're all going to 'Boot Camp!' " :cool:

nomorehelosforme
31st Jul 2013, 20:24
Kyyle who is offering this sponsorship?

Squawk 7500
31st Jul 2013, 20:32
With all due respect, how is it that a barely literate rasta with zero experience is able to fish out a golden-ticket opportunity that, or so it seems, no industry professional is even aware of?

RPM AWARE
31st Jul 2013, 20:34
Well there's the rub.....this thread has had some 3000 views....many of the lurkers on this forum have their finger pressed firmly on the pulse of the helicopter industry in this country...yet no-one seems to have heard about this scholarship except Kyyle and his 599 cohorts

It's got to be a wind-up :rolleyes:

nomorehelosforme
31st Jul 2013, 20:40
Possibly the best wind up ever on here? A slow week as 500e states!

206Fan
31st Jul 2013, 20:56
Wind up surely. Nobody on here has heard about this scholarship, not even Flying Lawyer. Also I highly doubt any applicants would find out on the same day as the Interview what the outcome was, especially with a high number of applicants!

Ascend Charlie
31st Jul 2013, 21:25
Also i think i am "normal" just because my writing isnt up to everyones "normal" standerd doesnt mean im anything else, as my normal day job i am a manager and manage 16 members of staff that are much older then me and at my age is fantastic its about getting the job done being hard working and dedicated some things can be worked around

He runs a pizza delivery business?

And from the paid banner at the top of this page this morning, helicentre says this:
Our current Scholarships consist of the following :

• Commercial Helicopter Pilot Scholarship
• Helicopter Flight Instructor Scholarship
• Cabri G2 Advanced Training Scholarship
• CPL(H) Theoretical Knowledge Scholarship
• ATPL(H) Theoretical Knowledge Scholarship

and went on to say that only 12 people applied for the last one. Where are the other 588?

kyyle
31st Jul 2013, 21:39
so let me get this straight because no1 on this forum has "seen" the ad i happend to find its classed as a "Hoax" and helicenter is the only one giving out scholarships? surely you all don't believe only 12 people applied, having said that i bet they have boosted there applicants/website traffic now as everyone thinking they got more off a chance (even i have)

Do u all believe what u read in the news:confused:

kyyle
31st Jul 2013, 21:49
since posting this add iv been told to
Cut my hair
Fix my english
sort my attitude
and called a liar

is there any positives looool

Bravo73
31st Jul 2013, 22:41
Well there's the rub.....this thread has had some 3000 views....many of the lurkers on this forum have their finger pressed firmly on the pulse of the helicopter industry in this country...yet no-one seems to have heard about this scholarship except Kyyle and his 599 cohorts

It's got to be a wind-up :rolleyes:

Doesn't anybody bother to read the posts on this thread properly?

Post no 43:

Bravo73
31st Jul 2013, 22:43
Do u all believe what u read in the news:confused:

Oh, by the way, it's spelt 'you'. And, yes, it does matter.

Squawk 7500
31st Jul 2013, 22:51
It's ok. He can't even spell the name of the company he's applying to. Is the English language really so hard to grasp?

alicopter
31st Jul 2013, 23:44
Hi Kyyle, first, congrats for getting over the first hurdle and good luck for the next one...
If flying helicopters is what you want most, long or short hairs will make no difference, you will do it. (Many times I have been barked at "Marechal des Logis Alicopter... hair dresser... NOW... it's an order" when in the french ALAT... had no choice then!). If and when the question of your hair style arises, tell your interlocutor that if necessary you are willing to cut it but that you think that this is who you are and you like yourself this way and would like to stay that way. Feeling good about yourself is more important than "acting" something you are not. Actually, people are more and more open minded about it. My son has dreadlocks, washes his hair twice a week with a special shampoo, showers every day, never swears, is very polite and always helping others, does not drink any alcohol at all, does not smoke or inhale any tobacco or drugs, (he could not be at the European level he is at sports and martial arts if he did!...) eat healthy, is very much liked by all our friends and family and seeing his apparent success with the Ladies, at 25, very "popular". Go for it, believe in yourself, be confident and let your passion for flying show. Work hard, study hard, always be alert and take great care of having a healthy lifestyle and you will fly over the hurdles. Good luck to you. alicopter.

kyyle
1st Aug 2013, 02:02
alicopter - thats the best post on here thanks so much

i sound like your son:p because i have dreadlocks everyone thinks i smoke and im a rasta but to be honest you hit the nail on the head everything your son does thats what im like

Matari
1st Aug 2013, 02:24
Finally! Somebody told him what he wanted to hear all along!

Capetonian
1st Aug 2013, 02:25
kyyle :
Some of the smartest and most successful people I have worked with are dyslexic and their written English bears no relation to yours. You are no more dyslexic than I am. Your English is sloppy and lazy, indicating a lack of pride in the image you project of yourself and any potential employer will pick that up on a first impression.

You are using your dreadlocks in the same way that many people play the race card. Most people will very quickly see through that to the chip you have on your shoulder.

I am not going to get drawn into a discussion with you on this as it can only go one way. You may reply if you wish but I suggest you don't bother as nothing you say will change the opinion your previous postings have engendered.

grumpytroll
1st Aug 2013, 04:07
I am disappointed in my self for taking your original post seriously. clearly I wasted my time, knowledge and experience in an attempt to help a young man be successful. Please don't expect honest, caring professionals to try and assist you in the future. I have two college aged kids and I sometimes think they are the only ones who "know everything". Its a disease that afflicts all people of that age group. Luckily it never happened to me.:ok:

Okay son, here you go:

Yeah, i wouldn't worry about the hair or what you wear or anything. You obviously know what to do. You cleverly asked a question which you already knew the answer to but it was actually designed to get me and others thinking about how wrongheaded we are when it comes to the whole profession and gosh, life itself. So I say thanks good buddy, (sniff) thanks.

OTGLU
1st Aug 2013, 05:36
At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I managed to locate this advertisement, which I assume, given the lack of scholarships available, is the interview kyyle sat, either that, or it is the medium he wishes to use to convey the wind up:

Company confidential

Trainee Helicopter Pilot

Job description

The UK Government have now stopped career development loans for Pilots and with more pilots coming up to retirement age we are now looking to take on two people for a Helicopter Pilot Scholarship, full training will be given if you are between the age of 17-25 under 16 stone (weight seat limit for a R22 training helicopter) and you have good grades in maths and english please email us your C.V at the address below. You will home study in the week for the nine multiple choice exams then attend flight training on weekends so this could be worked around a full time job if you are looking for a career change. Please note if you are applying for this job and you are unemployed and you arrange an interview and you do not attend we will contact your local job centre to find out why!!!!! so please only serious candidates apply.

Please email your C.V to [email protected]

Note the header of the edvert, and the email address, not particularly confidential!

Bravo, I apologise my earlier post didn't give more information on the subject, I was at work during that post, and the filters prevented me accessing their website.

kyyle
1st Aug 2013, 07:57
grumpytroll its not that i think i no it all, iv accepted all advice with open arms and i have seriously taken in to consideration that if im going to go ahead with being a pilot i will have to cut my hair and im fine with that

OTGLU yes that is the correct advertisement i found it on the Direct Gov website, you are the only one who found it, even though as "stated" there is alot of professionals even a lawyer that doesnt seem to no about it.
https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=2738343

Because a few people on this forum dont no about something, no1 should assume its a hoax normal people can find adverts and dig around for opportunities

on a good note...i still got my fingers corssed for friday to find out if i made it to the next stage :)

Agaricus bisporus
1st Aug 2013, 08:18
has it not okkur too aniwun this is a troll i no it is so easy to doo and peepul rispond so make it fun

as eny fule no

Stallion85
1st Aug 2013, 08:30
kyyle, I don't know why you write like you write but it makes your postings very difficult to read.
I am far from perfect (I have the excuse of coming from a non english speaking country), but at least I try to make no mistakes.
Just switch on the spell checker and you'll be fine.
This industry is very small and there are only a few pilots with dreadlocks :E so try to make the best impression you can.

Regarding listening to advise.
I wouldn't go so far and blame you for not listening what have been told here. Listen to people but make your own decisions. Its your life.
But live with the consequences and do not come back complaining if it turns out to be the wrong decision. You won't get a lot of warm words.

If I had followed all advises I heard during my last career move (gave up a secure flying job to move oversea), I wouldn't be where I am now.
And I am happy where I am now. (nearly... anybody has a job for me!? :};))

RPM AWARE
1st Aug 2013, 08:53
Kyyle

We probably wish you'd mentioned the job centre thing earlier in this thread.

IF it's legit....IF......it's nonetheless unusual that this opportunity was not meted out to the helicopter industry but through a job centre......"The UK Government have now stopped career development loans for Pilots and with more pilots coming up to retirement"...

I'm not sure that makes any sense, as I understand it there are plenty of CPL(H)s looking for work...

This Senior Helicopters (anyone know them ??) could have opted to offer this opportunity to 2 existing PPL(H)s......and that would have saved them big bucks....

It still looks like a wrong'un to me

1st Aug 2013, 09:02
Yup - the only jobs mentioned on their website are for 80 potential helicopter valets - Kyle, you might find yourself cleaning helicopters for a few years to earn enough for the company to put you through pilot training:)

That will test your dedication and allow you to get private tuition to improve your English;)

Bravo73
1st Aug 2013, 09:08
Bravo, I apologise my earlier post didn't give more information on the subject, I was at work during that post, and the filters prevented me accessing their website.

OTGLU,

Please don't apologise at all. You were the only one to have actually found the relevant advert. My post was aimed at other posters in the thread who didn't bother to read your post and claimed that the whole process was a hoax.

This Senior Helicopters (anyone know them ??) could have opted to offer this opportunity to 2 existing PPL(H)s......and that would have saved them big bucks....

Yes. Read my post above. The owner of Senior Helicopters appeared on PPRuNe recently to justify his scheme to evade paying VAT on all training costs.

It still looks like a wrong'un to me

I couldn't agree more.

RPM AWARE
1st Aug 2013, 09:18
"Weren't they the outfit that appeared on here recently where you could register a sham company (allegedly) in order to avoid paying VAT on your training? I seem to remember that they were based somewhere in the Midlands."

"Yes. Read my post above. The owner of Senior Helicopters appeared on PPRuNe recently to justify his scheme to evade paying VAT on all training costs."

Bravo, I did read your posts my friend, you posed that question, rhetorical or not, but there was no further input on that angle

Looking at Senior Helicopters' website, they would appear to me to be brokers/middlemen.They don't even seem to have a base of operations etc.

Shall we cut the infighting and just try to get to the bottom of this together :ok:

Basil
8th Nov 2013, 14:12
a) Ad now gone.
b) Dreads to an interview? You ARE a card! Not, perchance, Benjamin Zephaniah? :p