PDA

View Full Version : Why wind is kept towards front and power pedal during start

unrz
29th Jul 2013, 17:29
one reason that wind is kept diagonal is to avoid blade sailing... what about power pedal

P1DRIVER
29th Jul 2013, 21:42
???????

What are you on ?

You can actually start up and take off down wind !!!!!!!!!

Blimey theres a statement !!!

Power pedal. WTF is that ?

Some people really are fishing?

Exo.
30th Jul 2013, 09:55
Power pedal is the colloquial term used to indicate the pedal used which increases tail rotor pitch.

Ergo drawing more power from the engine to counter the increased drag from the tail.

A lot of courses (I know mine did when I studied in the states, although it did depend on instructor) dictate an initial turn to the left after lifting, since if you run out of engine power to maintain rpm, you could simply ease off pedal and stop rotating. Going right, made for entertaining, but less useful results...

The joys of flying 269CB's in Florida's Summer at max all up weight.

That's all I can think of as this chap's use of the term power pedal.

However, I have no idea if this is meant to be some kind of conversation maker (in which case he must be terrible at small talk), or a question (in which case he must be terrible at small talk...)!

DonQuixote23
30th Jul 2013, 12:00
If it's a turbine you're starting up it may also help to have the wind from the front to avoid compressor stalls/surges.

John R81
30th Jul 2013, 14:31
It's the way you're taught.

When starting, I was taught to keep my weight on the opposite butt-cheek so that if I did break wind it will flow down my trouser leg to the power pedal.

No idea why, but that's just what I was taught!

[To those on forum who did teach me - :}]