PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Spifire pilot Tony Gaze passed away today in Geelong

Centaurus
29th Jul 2013, 12:19
At an Aviation Historical Society of Australia meeting in Melbourne several years ago, members were privileged to hear an enthralling talk by former RAAF fighter pilot, Squadron leader Tony Gaze DFC & Two Bars. Present at his talk were about 30 of us oldies and younger members. What was supposed to be the normal 30 minute presentation by guest speakers, was extended by popular request to a full one hour talk by Tony Gaze of his flying experiences against the Germans in Europe.

There were two highlights of his talk which always stuck in my mind and which showed the character of this great man. The first was his description of a dog fight over France where he had just shot down an enemy fighter, a FW190. The FW190 was a heavily armed relatively new German fighter that could outfly most British fighters including the Spitfire.

As he followed the doomed German fighter down, he was in turn attacked by another FW190 and a dog fight ensued. Soon after, three more FW 190's joined in and in the words of Tony Gaze "things were getting serious."
That was surely the understatement of the year. He was soon shot down and survived the high speed belly landing in a field.

Members of the French Resistance Movement were quickly on the scene and after putting a bandage from the Spitfire first aid kit around his head (he had smashed his face against the gun-sight), he was given a bicycle and they all rode through a German held village with Tony being given instructions to play dumb if stopped by a German patrol. It wasn't until reaching a safe house it was discovered the bandage around his head was emblazoned with the words RAF Property!

Several months later Tony was eventually spirited back to England after walking over Pyrenees Mountains into Spain. Back in England he was keen to get back into action. His Commanding Officer refused his request on the basis that if he was shot down again and caught by the Gestapo, he would likely be tortured to reveal the identity of the French people who had helped him.

Instead, because of his fame as a RAF fighter pilot ace, it was decided to send him on a speaking tour of the factories that built the Rolls Royce engine that powered the Spitfire. When told of this, he said "Good show - let me at 'em"

During the train journey from Southern England to the factories in northern England, Tony was suddenly hauled off the train by the RAF Service Police who were under orders to take him home again in southern England for "a rest". It soon transpired why the authorities were concerned about his proposed speaking tour of the Rolls Royce factories.

In those wartime days, many factories producing war goods were run by militant Communist Party trade unions. Strikes were common and hampered the urgent supplies needed to help the British war effort. With Russia in the war against the Germans the Communist led unions would divert supplies to Russia instead of the British Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

Rolls Royce was now building more powerful engines for RAF Spitfires to counteract the Geman FW 190 fighter that was shooting down the earlier version Spitfires and the RAF were losing pilots. The communist led unions were diverting these urgently needed Spitfire engines to Russia on the orders of Russian communist leaders. These traitorous actions by the Rolls Royce unions was the cause of many unnecessary deaths in battle of RAF Spitfire pilots.

Tony Gaze was well aware of this and his "Let me at' em" comment before boarding the train to talk to the factory members indicated he was going to blast the unions at his talks. His superiors knew this would cause immediate go-slow and strikes by the unions with even less hope of the Spitfires getting the new engines. So Tony Gaze was told the talks were cancelled and he should come home again.

Just google "Tony Gaze RAF Spitfire Pilot" and you will not only read about Tony Gaze and his exploits during the war over Europe - but sadly that he passed away today, 29 July 2013 in Geelong. He was 93.

Squadron Leader Tony Gaze OAM DFC** (WWII Ace & Grand Prix driver) ? (http://www.tonygaze.com/)

TBM-Legend
29th Jul 2013, 12:36
A great Australian aviator passed away Monday....

RIP Tony it was a pleasure to know you..

Squadron Leader Tony Gaze OAM DFC** (WWII Ace & Grand Prix driver) ? (http://www.tonygaze.com/)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Jul 2013, 13:15
Thank you Mr C, for the very interesting link. A man of some considerable talent,
And a 'good innings' of age 93.
:D

Aubrey.
30th Jul 2013, 08:24
My step father knew Tony well when he was living in rural Herefordshire in the West of England in the 1960s and early 70s. Tony had a light aircraft and his own airstrip and my step father's family owned an aircraft company some 25 miles away and looked after the plane for him. My step father flew with Tony a number of times and said that he was one of the most modest pilots that he knew at the time.

Tony flew as wingman to the fighter ace 'Jonnie' Johnson and appears a number of times in Jonnie's book. He was apparently the first British pilot to shoot down a German M3 262 jet fighter, and the first person to shoot down a jet in combat. When drawn into conversation about it on a wet no-flying day, Tony dismissed it by saying that it was an accident. They had been scrambled to oppose enemy planes spotted coming in over the coast. To quote Tony 'we were in and out of cloud and I saw a flash of a German plane obscured partly by cloud. I fired and it went down. I found out later that it was the 262'.

in-cog-nito
30th Jul 2013, 11:17
Just finished 'Almost unkown' a few weeks ago. A good read. Spitfire pilot, Grand prix, LeMans, Monte Carlo rally, the kind of stuff you would only find in a Biggles books and he did for real!

May you rest in peace Tony.

Regards,
In-cog