PDA

View Full Version : Southend checkin

25F
29th Jul 2013, 09:02
Wondering how much time we need to allow at Southend to get from the train station to checkin / security etc. Sometimes the smaller airports can be much quicker and 90 minutes from arrival at train station to departure is sufficient - despite small kids in tow. However I notice from Reviews of London Southend airport (SEN) (http://www.europe-airports.com/reviews/show-airport-reviews.php?code=SEN) that there is some building work and people have mentioned long walks. Anybody been there recently and can comment?

rgsaero
30th Jul 2013, 06:45
May I respectfully suggest that you telephone your carrier and/or the airport as they will have up-to-the-minute information?

Anyone posting here will have information which is out of date by at least a few hours.

ExXB
30th Jul 2013, 08:32
Does this: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/posters/SIA.pdf or this: By Rail | Getting Here | London Southend Airport (http://www.southendairport.com/getting-here/by-rail-abellio/) help?

The national rail map doesn't actually show the Terminal - but the airport site says "The station is located directly opposite the passenger terminal with a short walk between the two."

Sorry, I've only looked at the airport from the road, never been near the terminal or station.

Tagron
30th Jul 2013, 09:33
The distance from the train station to the terminal is approx.200m. Disembark from the train, cross the railway bridge, walk to the terminal and to the check in, about 5 minutes even with children I suggest. I don't think the construction work has had any impact on this distance.

SpringHeeledJack
31st Jul 2013, 19:22
It's like the old days, when you arrived at the front of the terminal (however) and walked to the check-in desks and then on into the departures lounge. How lucky are those people who live within a reasonable distance of Southend and are travelling to the destinations that are on offer. Bliss, either that or a private jet ;)

SpringHeeledJack
31st Jul 2013, 19:26
Just to add I remember the British Rail posters advertising a combined ticket from Liverpool Street to SEN and then on to Belgium/France with British Air Ferries. I wonder if door to door that was faster than now using LHR/LGW/STN ?

25F
6th Aug 2013, 21:11
Back now. For the benefit of anyone reading this in the future - train to checkin is no time at all. On arrival it's a bit of a trek past all the building work (completion Dec 2013, they say) but all in all, like many small airports, extremely quick.

However I am now 25 quid the poorer for discovering that fiber-glass tent poles are potentially deadly weapons.

@rgsaero - thanks for the advice, but was just looking for general info.

t1grm
7th Aug 2013, 08:53
It's like the old days, when you arrived at the front of the terminal (however) and walked to the check-in desks and then on into the departures lounge. How lucky are those people who live within a reasonable distance of Southend and are travelling to the destinations that are on offer. Bliss, either that or a private jet

MLA is still like that :)