PDA

View Full Version : A Docklands Airport - a new high in silliness.

nomorecatering
28th Jul 2013, 23:57
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/docklands-airport-plan-slammed-as-8216crazy8217/story-e6frg6n6-1226687150609)

Is this what we pay our poiititians for, to come up with crazy ideas like this. Surely if they visited London City Airport, Toronto etc etc they would have picked up the most basic technical facts, or at least listened to sound advice.

Yes we know the pollies have to write some sort of report to justify an overseas junket but my god, cant they come up with something better than this?

We are not getting value for our tax payer dollar.

Wally Mk2
29th Jul 2013, 00:09
..............really does any sane person really believe that ANY politician is good for anything else other than lies, broken promises & rorts?
Ya gotta hand it to some (pollies)though they do 'entertain' us as their not much good for anything else never lone goven!
Talk about the highest level of stupidity here!:ugh:
These pollies are totally clueless!!!

God 'elp us if these crazies are at the wheel:ugh:

Wmk2

YPJT
29th Jul 2013, 01:34
If I went on a taxpayer funded junket I would certainly try to come up with something better than that. All the committe has achieved from this is to make themselves look like a complete prats.:yuk:

zanzibar
29th Jul 2013, 03:42
They had one, it was called Fishermens' Bend.

Who remembers that?

500N
29th Jul 2013, 04:22
zanzibar

That was a long time ago. I wasn't in Aus then but it came up in conversation
a few times with a mate of mine who learn't to fly at Pt Cook.

When I first read this proposal, my first thought was heli port type.
Then reading further, I couldn't believe what was suggested.

In any case, why docklands when you have Avalon and Tulla just down the road ?

CoodaShooda
29th Jul 2013, 05:43
There appears to be a gender imbalance on that committee. :confused:

Chief galah
29th Jul 2013, 05:45
The approach from the east up the Yarra would be very spectacular. :suspect:
LSALT may be a problem?? :hmm:

VH-XXX
29th Jul 2013, 05:58
Golly guys you need to think outside the square a little. Just build it out into the bay like Sydney's third runway. Bricks and mortal is all it would take :-)

500N
29th Jul 2013, 06:19
VH

The bay is not the docklands though.

Not sure all the people along the bay would like an airport jutting out
although out from Williamstown has potential.

VH-XXX
29th Jul 2013, 07:27
Thanks for the geography lesson 500n. Docklands is within a couple of kms of the bay, down the river, but none the less, connected. The only way it would work is to run along the vacant land south of the West Gate bridge then 2kms out into the bay. Taking off to the north you'd have to hold a low altitude under the West Gate Bridge then climb out but turn immediately left or right so as to avoid the traffic at Tulla and Essendon. Sarcasm intended....

500N
29th Jul 2013, 08:43
Why not borrow an aircraft and see if it fits under the West gate :O
That would be worth seeing !

And watch the tall chimney on the west of the river !

Arm out the window
29th Jul 2013, 08:57
Bring back the Empire flying boats, all will be well - land in the bay and taxi up the Yarra. The oil leaks won't be noticed as the river's already a nice shade of polluted brown, too easy!

mickjoebill
29th Jul 2013, 09:27
City airport does not have a fabulous link to the center of London.
Better to spend the dollars on providing fast public transport to tulla and Avalon...

Should we have a plan b to accommidate for that day, which will surely come, when we don't need a mile of concrete to take off for a short domestic flight?

Building into the bay has merit for stvl!

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
29th Jul 2013, 09:31
Bring back the Empire flying boats, all will be well - land in the bay and taxi up the Yarra. The oil leaks won't be noticed as the river's already a nice shade of polluted brown, too easy!

Brilliant idea.
Port Phillip to Sydney harbour. Small seaplanes already operate on these waters.
Need a clever dick to redesign the floats so they are less draggy for 600 mile trips.
STVL seaplane even better!

Mickjoebill

Robbovic
29th Jul 2013, 09:38
Typical of a government exercise - cant even get their April Fools in on time.:rolleyes:

topdrop
29th Jul 2013, 11:14
Had a pollie visit Cairns ATC a few years ago - this person wondered why we don't build an East West runway to avoid noise for the city and the Northern Beaches. When it was pointed out that Mt Lumley may be an issue stated that everything could come and go over the water. Pollie was asked if they considered departures pointing straight at the arrivals may be a problem, said pollie disappeared real quick.

500N
29th Jul 2013, 19:34
I just re read the article, 3 Liberal and 2 Labor MP's.

You have to wonder what planet these Politicians live on to suggest
something like this.

Low cost segment of the market ???
What is that ?
And what about the billions of $ to build the required airport ?

-JLS-
29th Jul 2013, 22:24
Low cost segment of the market ???
What is that ?

Perhaps after some LCY inspiration (and then combined with an idea from somewhere that LCY caters to low-cost carriers...), they're hoping to set up the all new Jetstar A318 shuttle to JFK :ok:

Jack Ranga
30th Jul 2013, 00:08
Victoria has a minister for aviation. A very good one. Why wasn't he on this 'fact finding mission'? Because it wouldn't have happened if he was. Nice work if you can get it. It's a pity the general public will never understand the stupidity of what they are suggesting. Five imbeciles spending your tax dollar so very effectively :yuk:

Nautilus Blue
30th Jul 2013, 03:27
That article is quite unusual. Some politicians have a daft idea, so the newspaper runs a story featuring intelligent, relevant objections and alternatives from locals, logical arguments against from various experts and no hyperbole about the end of the world/think of the children or crusading editorials :confused:

I think the best thing about wasting money on these trips/ideas is that they keep the politicians busy on things that have no hope of success. Usually the only thing worse than a politician that doesn't change anything is one that does.

(I do like the flying boat idea though Photos: Beriev Be-200ChS Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/1031785/L/))

500N
30th Jul 2013, 03:52
And you could make some great sheltered harbours just up the Yarra
with the runway the same one used by the Seaplane at Williamstown ?

Wally Mk2
30th Jul 2013, 07:23
'NaughtyBue' that's quite true keeping the clueless pollies busy knowing that such stunts will never get up but it does cost money to keep them (term used loosely) pollies out of our hair:ugh:
There's gotta be a better way to keep the buggers busy, how about getting them all to join the 1000 lawyers (that are chained 2gether) at the bottom of the sea!!! Nah pollution at it's worst!:E
As much as I hate to say it I'd rather have the Pollies do nufin' at least we know what their doing or not! There's gotta be some good Pollies out there who have a brain!
Imagine a float plane base on Hobsons bay, way to go talk about having a fantastic interest attraction to tourists etc, but I think we are likely to see pink submarines on the bay b4 that!

Wmk2

Animalclub
30th Jul 2013, 22:14
Wally, you have been looking over Bryan Grey's shoulder!!!!

Wally Mk2
30th Jul 2013, 23:51
Ah Bryan Grey, now there's a name from the past! That was a dirty era back then (Compass Etc) this country's leaders past & present should not be proud of anything related to aviation.
I recall fueling the 'Bus' @ Tulla 20+ years ago now, a great level of enthusiasm was in the air way back then by the staff of Compass but like all high flying businesses there was ugliness behind the scenes & a fight was going on to remove the new player from the 'boys club'!

'JR' yr most likely correct there had the Vic Minister for Aviation got wind of this ludicrous proposal (junket more like it!) he may have spoken up but you never know in politics what goes on behind closed doors.
I'm at a loss as to how the pollies find enough feathers for their nest!

Wmk2