PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

MNBenny
28th Jul 2013, 02:20
Hi there Everyone,

Hows it going? My name's Ben. The reason why I joined the forums is because I really want to get my pilots license the only thing stopping me from starting is my car payment right now. Anyways, I have question to ask. At the outset I know I really am NUTS, and I probably am out of mind....My mother lives lives 950nm away from me in Southern Ga. I live in Central Minnesota. I'm looking for an airplane that will get me close to that.

Granted I know I don't have my license right now, but I hope to change that soo. I know if I go twin I will need a multi-engine with instrument. What I'm looking for is something I can fly myself.

I was looking at a couple of different airplanes.

Cessn 207

Cessna 421C

Citation 500

Learjet 25 or 24

any thoughts?

Take care & thank you for your time,

MNBenny

Pilot.Lyons
28th Jul 2013, 12:35
Welcome to the forum benny, prepare yourself for some very petty banter and people seemingly trying to outdo each other until all comments are word perfect! Make i minor typing error and wait for the onslaught ;)

Im only a casual renter of a c152 or similar in the uk so i cant advise much. What i do know is that the planes you mention will be costly but if its not a problem then good luck!
I cant think of a better reason to get my own plane :)

Above The Clouds
28th Jul 2013, 13:06
MNBenny
The reason why I joined the forums is because I really want to get my pilots license the only thing stopping me from starting is my car payment right now.

You say you cannot afford to learn to fly because of a car loan but you are looking at buying or renting some of the following aircraft,

Cessn 207
Cessna 421C
Citation 500
Learjet 25 or 2

Now that sort of statement is going to provide an interesting forum discussion :suspect:

Pilot.Lyons
28th Jul 2013, 13:11
You must drive a very VERY expensive car?

500 above
28th Jul 2013, 13:40
Benny Hi

I'm not sure if this post is serious or a joke...

Here goes.

Firstly, get a PPL! Without this, you plan is flawed!

Secondly, to buy a twin is one thing. To get insurance on one is another as a low hours pilot.

Finally, a Citation ( I know they call it the near-jet) or a Lear you would need thousands of hours before an insurance company would look at you seriously. Also, said aircraft would (mostly) require two crew. In the US, you can 'rent' contract pilots on most types but be prepared to pay around 700 USD per day plus allowances for the pilot. Freelance pilots have to pay for their own recurrent training at the likes of SimCom or FSI, which doesn't come cheap. They have to recoup this cost somewhere.

Older jets cost money to operate. Could you afford to pay for the likes of JSSI support? If you don't know what it is, maybe you should google it. If not, a new FMS, windshield, PFD/MFD could well each cost you more than a new family car. It's not cheap, believe me.

Good luck though.

F900 Ex
28th Jul 2013, 14:01
MNBenny
Hi there Everyone,

Hows it going? My name's Ben. The reason why I joined the forums is because I really want to get my pilots license the only thing stopping me from starting is my car payment right now. Anyways, I have question to ask. At the outset I know I really am NUTS, and I probably am out of mind....My mother lives lives 950nm away from me in Southern Ga. I live in Central Minnesota. I'm looking for an airplane that will get me close to that.

Granted I know I don't have my license right now, but I hope to change that soo. I know if I go twin I will need a multi-engine with instrument. What I'm looking for is something I can fly myself.

I was looking at a couple of different airplanes.

Cessn 207

Cessna 421C

Citation 500

Learjet 25 or 24

any thoughts?

Take care & thank you for your time,

MNBenny

You cannot be serious.

At the outset I know I really am NUTS, and I probably am out of mind....My mother lives lives 950nm away from me in Southern Ga.

Does your mother realise you are playing with the computer.

cockney steve
28th Jul 2013, 14:41
does your mother know you are playing on the computer.

there, fixed that.

probably playing with his Ding-a -ling :}

OP If you struggle to do more than make your car-payments, how do you think you could even afford to drive that distance and return?

An Aeroplane would certainly save you time over that sort of distance, but at a massive cost-multiple.

Use the search function to look up posts by Adam Frisch, one of the regulars here, who does fly elderly twins around the USA.

Maybe then you'll get back to your studies and prepare to make a small fortune before spending it all on flying. :)

Pilot.Lyons
28th Jul 2013, 14:43

Hahahahaha

funfly
28th Jul 2013, 15:08
Nice little 3 axis microlight, X-Air or something like that.
Fun to fly and easy to park. Only problem is that they are a bit slow but with a following wind you can get places.
Inexpensive to maintain and you can see virtually all the control surfaces when you do your checks so they are very safe mechanically.

500 above
28th Jul 2013, 21:26
You cannot be serious.

No, he emitted the Falcon 900. Must be anti French? Mind you, southern GA, he's also forgotten the Gulfstream 650. Georgia's finest.

RTN11
28th Jul 2013, 21:29
Love a good nonsense post like this, really brightens a bad weather day :ok:

One of the flying school owners I worked for loved a client like this, he would play along, and try to convince them to buy a seneca or similar knowing when it all went wrong and they couldn't afford to maintain it he could lease it off them cheap. Never quite worked out, but it was fun until they quit.

Students with dreams like this before they even began their PPL never seemed to make it past stalling, no matter how much effort you put in as an FI. Perhaps things are different over in America where it sounds like everyone has a licence.