PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone managed to get a CPL with a "Class 1 Medical limited to an OML"??

Scoobster
27th Jul 2013, 11:43
Folks,

I am a current PPL student and have been hitting a snag with the CAA for a Class 1 Medical for a short while due to a Visual Problem.

In essence, under EASA, the UK CAA have stated that the maximum medical I will get is a "Class 1 with an OML" and that training options will be limited - however they are in no position to discuss this as the remit of SRG is to focus on Flight Safety and I must take up training with the FTO.

I would like to know how much of a detriment the OML has on achieving a CPL - as it almost certainly rules out Instructing as an FI, Aerial Work, Flight Taxi etc.

Also, if anyone currently training has managed to obtain a CPL and sit the skills test with a CPL limited to OML, I would be very interested to hear from them.

I am currently reading through CAP 804 to see what the rules around the OML are but this will take a short while.

Thanks.

BigGrecian
27th Jul 2013, 17:04
It depends on what the OML is. Plenty of pilots out there missing fingers etc, even met one private with monocular vision.

Problem is the job - it's ok to get the OML once your in but opening the door with one is that much harder - your just more of a risk/expense to them and may cost more in medical costs etc. Remember some companies have even higher medical standards than the class 1.

Regarding CPL test - as long as you have the class 1 - it doesn't matter about the OML or not - you've met the requirement laid down by holding the class 1, it doesn't specify further.

Good luck.