PDA

View Full Version : Low Level question

clicker
27th Jul 2013, 11:05
Question for the fliers of the Low Level system.

Towards the end of August I'm leaving the shores of sleepy Sussex for a week in the Lake District and fancy the chance of photographing anything going low level in the area.

Is there any hot spot for L/L activity in the lakes area that I could consider going too for a reasonable chance of a passing aircraft?

Do you routinely make a broadcast on the L/L freq with intentions? I've only heard the odd helo do so in the past but then we don't get too many FJ's near my home.

Thanks

Finnpog
27th Jul 2013, 15:53
Have you popped over to the modern military forum on UKAR? You might get some sound advice there.

clicker
27th Jul 2013, 21:23
Thanks Finnpog,

I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

Cheers

TheWizard
28th Jul 2013, 17:32
Have you popped over to the modern military forum on UKAR? You might get some sound advice there.

If you want "sound advice", go to somewhere like Warplane.co.uk - UK Low Flying (http://www.warplane.co.uk/essentialskill.htm)

You are less likely to receive 101 different opinions.

Milo Minderbinder
28th Jul 2013, 18:27
I'm no photographer, but some days you get a lot of traffic northbound up the Lune Gorge south of Tebay. You'll have to ask elsewhere re vantage points etc. They usually enter the valley at Kirkby Lonsdale and remain in it until Tebay. Plenty of hills looking down around there, but steep climbs.
The other route that has a fair bit of traffic, especially Chinooks, is up the central valley northwards over Windermere - they tend to skirt the east coast of Morecambe Bay, come ashore around Meathop then overland to the bottom of the lake, then north. The Lyth Valley gets a number of low level Typhoons or Tornados - or rarely an FRA Falcon 20 at low level.

But none of its reliable or regular enough to stake a day on it.

clicker
28th Jul 2013, 21:47
Wiz & Milo,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Aware of the hit and miss side but this gives me some ideas where to go for a good walking day out with a chance of the odd decent aircraft passing by as well.