PDA

View Full Version : WILL DO ANYTHING.....well not that

Flyboy1987
27th Jul 2013, 07:25
Hey Guys,

Currently about 3 months from finishing my cpl and MECIR in Australia. Will be looking for employment ASAP and will do just about anything to gain hours. Idealy would love to end up in the right hand seat of something with two engines under a cadetship or something similar etc? Will have about 20k in the back pocket to spend on an endorsement if need be.

Anyone in a similar boat or at a similar stage in their training with any tips on landing that first elusive job? The CEO of my flight school has a few contacts with both Australian and SE Asia airlines and is trying to organise a few of us students an opportunity for an interview, but if this fails I'm on my own, which i don't mind. Any info where someone with 200hr TT could go to build hours would be much appreciated. I often check AFAP and similar websites but most regionals are asking for a minimum of around 1500hrs, even tho i know many pilots get in with less than half these hours.

Anyway let me know guys :ok:

redsnail
27th Jul 2013, 09:12
Probably best posted in the Dununda forum.
A couple of tips. Best not say "will do anything" - the implication is that you'll fly for free. If this is not the case - please accept my apologies for that assumption. Also, it's guaranteed to annoy the established pilots that you'll pay for a rating.

Generally in Australia, if you're not tagged on a scheme, your first job will be instructing, meat bombing or scenics/charter on singles in the Territory or Kimberley.

Most folks get every thing squared away, such as the IR, exams, DG certificate before looking for work. I got my Night VFR rating sorted before I headed NW as it has more flexible recency requirements than an IR. (Best check current requirements)

Very few are hired on CV - you'll have to get in your car and go travel.
Good luck.

YXD172
1st Aug 2013, 05:05
I know it's not quite what you were looking at, but have you considered towing at a gliding centre? If you can get a dozen hours of tailwheel experience it's a decent entry level spot. Good to build another couple hundred hours anyways, and it really helps your stick and rudder skills.

I'm not sure how the situation is in Australia (or New Zealand), but I know a guy who is going down to NZ to tow this summer, so they're probably looking for pilots. If you contact a few local gliding clubs you can get a good idea of what they're looking for.

Flyboy1987
3rd Aug 2013, 00:49
Cheers guys, doesn't really worry me what i end up doing. I know i'm new to the game and i've got to start at the bottom.

Any job where i'm going to work to fly i know i'll love.

No use being picky when i've got no real experience!!!

Just going to apply to every regional/charter/scenic company i can find and door knock flat out.

I'm sure if i put the hard work in something will eventuate...if not, back to the mines i go :ugh:

PierreLevegh
7th Aug 2013, 13:37
G'day Flyboy1987,

I gather it probably has come up before for you, though have you looked much into the REX cadetship? I know you are already gaining your licenses and ratings but the cadetship can cater to your current experience once your "in".
I was medically discharged from RAAF and went through the REX cadetship and currently sit right seat on the saab. Granted not much experience if any from the RAAF but thoroughly enjoyed learning commercial and multi pilot ops from the cadetship. I didn't have any ratings or licenses though a couple of blokes ahead of myself did seem to be on some advanced course.

Hope you find some a job in the skies soon to get yourself out of those coal holes.

Regards

Flyboy1987
9th Aug 2013, 09:09
G'day PierreLevegh,

Yeah I've heard of the cadetships offered by rex, Qlink, jetstar etc.

I'll definently have a crack at a them as getting into the airlines is my final goal.

Once I begin the diploma part of my training I'll start sending out cv's etc.

How do you find flying the Saabs? Is working for Rex a big step up from training in Wagga?

Although everyone winges about cadetships on these forums I think their a great idea, whether i get one or not. You get airline orientated training then a job at the end of it, pretty sure every old school pilot that had to slog it out up north years ago would have jumped at the opportunity if it existed at the time.