PDA

View Full Version : Using Flex with Special-Complex EOSID's (A320)

J.L.Seagull
26th Jul 2013, 17:22
Flew out of OAKB a week ago, and my colleague insisted that we use TOGA since the EOSID was not just straight ahead.

Considering the pucker factor of losing an engine after V1 at that airfield, there's every reason to push the levers to the stops 'when the failure actually happens.'

But, is there something in some regulations somewhere that tells you that you can't do a Flex take-off if the EOSID is a Spl-Cmplx?

Any truth to that?

A4
26th Jul 2013, 17:50
Certification requires that the EOSID can be completed using FLX. However, it is good Situational Awareness to PRE BRIEF your colleague that in the event of losing a Donk you WILL be selecting TOGA to increase your safety margin when terrain is an issue.

A4

VinRouge
26th Jul 2013, 21:44
My operator SOP includes the use of reduced thrust takeoff out of OAKB.

S0d that. Max all the way. Our EO emergency departure procedure is pretty hairy, turns you right, and flies you between the saddle between the two "boobs" on the ridge line. On an average day with an average aircraft and a slow Copilot, I wouldn't want to risk it if I had suffered an early engine failure on departure. Don't know why the DP doesn't turn you left anyhow; big open plain vs a 1400' spot height.

I swear to god if it happened for real, VFR, we would go for the city, swing a right up the BAG valley.

All it would take is someone to forget to set max at engine failure and you are eating granite. Not fun. Our EO requires you set MAX upon suffering a single powerplant loss.

Does the A320 have a EO performance table and lateral plan for missed approach off the ILS? Seems to be our controlling perf issue.

vilas
27th Jul 2013, 02:17
Vin Roge
Airbus has performance softwares PEP, TLO and OFP for this purpose where GA gradient requirement is higher than standard.

Fly3
27th Jul 2013, 02:41
A4 is absolutely right. All Flex takeoffs take into account an engine failure at V1 and ensure that all obstacles will be cleared at that power setting. Selecting TOGA will of course increase the safety margin and is a good idea. For airports that require a steeper climb gradient than can be met at that Flex setting the airline must produce Engine Out (EO) escape routes. The relevant authorities have to approve them but the ATC may not know them as they may vary airline by airline. Therefore, if you have to fly one, you should advise ATC of the failure and exactly what routing your are going to follow in order for them to clear the airspace for you.
I cannot comment on the OAKB scenario as I am not familiar with it but the company may have found something that precluded them from going for the suggested option over the city etc. such as another obstacle further up BAG valley.