PDA

View Full Version : V (AC) Squadron Centenary Celebrations

CoffmanStarter
26th Jul 2013, 16:02
Many congratulations to V (AC) Squadron RAF ...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/813E32AC_A054_EBFD_06E335F0F9BB8305.jpg

Today is the centenary of V (AC) Squadron based at RAF Waddington. A rather good brochure on the full history of the Squadron has been produced as part of the celebrations ... see here.

V (AC) Squadron Centenary Celebrations (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/040D8418_5056_A318_A81858174AF8529A.pdf)

(Although it looks like the proof copy that's been released on the RAF Tw@tter Feed) :ugh:)

Best regards ...

Coff.

Lima Juliet
26th Jul 2013, 16:34
As ex-V, may I also offer my congratulations...:D:D:D

Frangas Non Flectas

LJ

TomJoad
26th Jul 2013, 17:50
I'll add mine to Leon's - all the best V.

skua
26th Jul 2013, 20:33
Many congrats. My great Uncle was an observer on V in 1917.

Skua

ICM
26th Jul 2013, 22:22
Whilst the squadrons on which I served came a bit later, I'll happily add my congratulations on this notable anniversary. But it strikes me that there will be another dozen or so units with 100th birthdays coming up over the next 18-24 months. Does anyone know if Air Command's PR budget has got cash for a similar glossy in each case? Or is a line going to be drawn somewhere?

Lima Juliet
27th Jul 2013, 15:42
ICM

Firstly, the brochure looks half finished - with "????" and "insert photo here" in several places.

Secondly, V(AC) has the honour of being the first UK sqn to bring an enemy aircraft down.

Thirdly, at the rate we are losing sqns to cuts, then there will only be about another 5 brochures to print!

LJ :ok:

Mortmeister
27th Jul 2013, 16:11
I was an Armourer on V from 1994-2000 and loved every minute of it. A great Sqn with some great engineers and excellent aircrew too! One of the few squ
adrons I have ever served on where aircrew and ground crew really bonded. Reuts' description of the time he arrived on V is a very accurate one (I can actually remember him and the incident in PSAB). The preceding 2 years under 'Spence' had been fantastic, we seemed to win every trophy going! Despite its 'knockers' the F3 was a great interceptor and in the right hands, could regularly embarrass our American friends.

Stitchbitch
27th Jul 2013, 20:12
Formation looked good last night, Sentinel did a few circuits around the town near the college of knowledge :E and then got befriended by a Hurricane, the two setting off towards the secret drone field together. :ok:

2Planks
29th Jul 2013, 14:21
LJ - and to be complete (IIRC) V(AC) were the first squadron to have an ac shot down (by a German Hunting Party).

Happy memories of my 1st Sqn - Congratulations!