PDA

View Full Version : MEIR Renewal

tipskin
26th Jul 2013, 08:10
TO anyone who can help,
I converted my NZ cpl and Command MEIR to an Aus CPL in 2011.
Now my Instrument rating has lapsed more than 12 months.
On renewing the flight test last week, CASA have now advised me i have to sit the IREX exam!!!!! Because I converted under the NZTTMRA I didnt sit the IREX in the first place. Is there any way around sitting the exam, I.E getting my NZ instrument rating renewed then converting it again??? I've already sat the 2 law exams, human factors and spent a bunch of cash.....dreading the infamous IREX. :ugh:

aircraftpilot
26th Jul 2013, 09:01
Hi, assuming you got your MECIR before july 2011 & then never renewed it again till last week, then yes you would have to give the Irex again. it has actually nothing to do with your NZ IR. Its just the way it is assuming you have not had any flight test between then and ur last week test. The problem is you let it expire for more than 12 months after the initial expiry. Your other exams given don't really count in this case. Also there are always other requirements to be done to keep urself legal between ur ratings being expired so have a read through. You could also try getting ur NZ IR renewed if you need it, but you might not be able to skip the IREX anyways.
The rules I have copied from CAO 40.2.1 given below. Alternatively you may download it from here
ComLaw: Legislative Instruments - Orders/Civil Aviation - by Title (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Browse/Results/ByTitle/LegislativeInstruments/Current/Ci/37/civil%20aviation%20order%2040/)
its better to do what the Docs at Canberra say, than counter them. Its no use believe me.:ugh:
Good Luck..Safe Flights

12 Renewal
12.1 A grade of instrument rating must be renewed for a period of 12 months from the date of its expiry if:
(a) its holder passes the instrument rating test applicable to the renewal of the grade of rating within the last 90 days before the grade of rating is due to expire; or
(b) its holder:
(i) is employed by, or working under an arrangement with, an operator who has a cyclic training and proficiency program that:
(A) meets the requirements of Appendix V; and
(B) is approved under regulation 217; and
(ii) is a participant in the program; and
(iii) met the standards required by the program in the last session of the program that he or she attended.
12.2 Where an instrument rating has expired for a period of less than 12 months, an applicant may qualify for issue of a rating by passing the instrument rating test applicable to the renewal of a rating.
12.3 Where an instrument rating has expired for a period in excess of 12 months, an applicant may qualify for issue of a rating by passing the instrument rating test applicable to the initial issue of an instrument rating.
12.4 The holder is taken to meet the requirements of subparagraph 12.1 (a) if he or she complies with subsection 12A within the 90 days before the grade of rating is due to expire.
12.5 For paragraph 12.2, the applicant is taken to meet the requirements of subparagraph 12.1 (a) if he or she complies with subsection 12A within the period mentioned in paragraph 12.2.
12.6 For paragraph 12.3, subsection 12A does not apply.
12.7 To avoid doubt, for a person who is subject to competency checks by a training and checking organisation under subregulation 217 (2) of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 (CAR 1988), renewal of a grade of instrument rating using an instrument proficiency check on a flight simulator under subsection 12A may be conducted as part of the flight crew competency checking mentioned in subclause 3.4A of Appendix 2 of Civil Aviation Order 82.1.
Note For subsection 12.7 to apply, the respective requirements of subsection 12A and of subclause 3.4A of Appendix 2 of Civil Aviation Order 82.1 must all be met.

Bounceferret
26th Jul 2013, 09:51
The only issue I saw with IREX is trying to learn the subjet in it's entirety without flying a single minute IFR.
IREX after at least 2 flight tests (plus all the flight time inbetween) shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

If you're staying here and it's indeed a requirement.... sit it, get it done.

NGsim
26th Jul 2013, 10:53
Your source is quite simply incorrect.
If you have a MEIR on your australian licence regardless of whether its current or expired you just need to do a renewal.
As a previous poster correctly pointed out, if you're expired by more than 12 months then your renewal flight test is considered an initial issue so you must fly each approach versus just an ILS and NDB for example.

blackburn
27th Jul 2013, 07:51
From the CASA web site

Renewal of ratings gained through the TTMRA process

Where a NZ pilot converts their NZ Instrument Rating through the TTMRA process, subsequent renewals of their Australian Instrument Rating must be completed within Australia, i.e. a renewal of an instrument rating outside Australia (i.e. in NZ) does NOT satisfy the requirement of a renewal of their Australian instrument rating. If the Australian instrument rating has expired for more than 12 months, the licence holder will be required to sit the IREX theory exam prior to the issue of the rating, as it will now be considered an initial issue.

Centaurus
27th Jul 2013, 10:45
If the Australian instrument rating has expired for more than 12 months, the licence holder will be required to sit the IREX theory exam prior to the issue of the rating, as it will now be considered an initial issue.

Does that apply to all Australian holders of the command instrument rating? In other words after the two years is up and the initial issue flight test is conducted, another IREX is needed?

aircraftpilot
27th Jul 2013, 15:43
@Centaurus

Yes you would need to get the IREX exam done again, I had the same problem in Aug 2011, my initial MECIR being in April 2009, infact I was told to give the exam first again at YSBK before I could do the flight test again. By looking at my earlier post herein, the rules have still been the same. Am surprised that they allowed tipskin to do the flight test first. Also yes it applies to all CIR holders coz once u get an OZ rating then future renewals are only based on CASA rules...cheers

JAMUP
6th Sep 2016, 05:41
Has the law changed in NZ since 2012? I was under the impression to renew the ME IR , one needs to do a BFR ( if havent flown for two years ) then Air Law CPL exam.

But What about IFR law ? If one hasnt renewed the IFR in NZ for more than 5 years ? Do they need to pass IFR Law as well?

Thanks

Regards

JMUP