PDA

View Full Version : The crisis must be over / intensive IMC next week?

BackPacker
25th Jul 2013, 18:38
Well, the crisis must be over...

Due to some unexpected changes at work I've got to get rid of a lot of vacation days between now and Sep 1st. I also happen to have some money saved to gain some more flying ability - even though the actual rating won't buy me anything in the Netherlands.

Over the last week and a half I have contacted about six flight schools to see if they can accommodate me on an intensive IMC course for next week (starting July 29th or so). Two did not respond, and four are fully booked. (Good for them I guess, but it doesn't help me.)

So does anybody know a flight school anywhere in the UK that happens to have some capacity to train me for an IMC rating next week (ground school, flight training and exam)? Preferably not too far from an international airport served by KLM (because of the frequent flyer miles).

(I have a UK-issued JAR-FCL PPL with about 400 hours PIC, including 100+ aerobatics, and a Glider Pilots Licence.)

horatio_b
25th Jul 2013, 19:00
Multiflight at Leeds might be worth a try.
Direct KLM flights between Amsterdam and Leeds

Sensible Flyer
25th Jul 2013, 19:57
Premier Flight Training at Norwich (direct flights to Norwich with KLM).
Rutland Flying School (not far from East Midlands and can arrange accommodation).

BackPacker
25th Jul 2013, 22:27
Premier Flight Training doesn't have space. One of their aircraft is in annual, leading to capacity shortage. I'm going to try the others tomorrow. Thanks.

taybird
25th Jul 2013, 22:36
You could try Leicestershire Aero Club. They're not too far from Birmingham which is served by KLM. There are regular trains which make life easier. +44 116 259 2360 - try calling to see if they can slot you in, plus ask about accommodation / transport. I can lend you a bicycle if that helps.

Jude098
26th Jul 2013, 10:25
Try Herefordshire Aero Club. They also have onsite accommodation.
01568 709369 :C152's and PA28

or Clifton Aviation at Gloucestershire Airport 01452 090898 : PA28

BackPacker
26th Jul 2013, 16:27
Thanks for the help people. I'm off to Leicester tomorrow. Training starts Sunday 9am.

taybird
26th Jul 2013, 20:49
BackPacker - welcome to Leicester!

BackPacker
1st Aug 2013, 19:47
Just passed the flight test with flying colors, after having done the written on Tuesday.

Due to scheduling issues Leicester could only offer me a 9-11 slot on Sunday, but the rest of the days I essentially had the aircraft and instructor to myself, getting well over three hours in each day. Exam was originally set for Friday 4pm but things were going well so I was able to do the exam today already. And got a pass with no remarks whatsoever.

So well done Leicester Aero Club for getting me the IMC rating in essentially 4.5 days.:D

Taybird, sorry we never got to meet up. Maybe some other time. But thanks for the tip about Leicester again.

thing
1st Aug 2013, 22:53
:D well done that man. Pleasant place Leicester, nice caff.