PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair pilot greases on

blind pew
25th Jul 2013, 07:11
Flew from stansted to dublin last night and the first landing that I have exerienced in over a decade where the captain could do a decent landing.
Just felt the wheels spin up and a second later the spoilers deployed and lowered us onto the tarmac.
Thought the art had been lost.
Very pleasant change from the normal carrier or tent peg landings:ok:

Hobo
25th Jul 2013, 07:21
You must have been flying with me over a decade ago then...I used to have the FE call when the pitot heats went to half power when the oleos compressed, so I knew we were down and I could call for reverse. ;)

TriStar_drvr
25th Jul 2013, 07:27
How do you know it was the Captain? Some of us First Officers grease them on too! :)

fergineer
25th Jul 2013, 07:28
Maybe Autoland selected

sabenaboy
25th Jul 2013, 07:45
Please, moderators!

Edit: Oh no, disregard my request! I missed that it was a Ryanair! That is indeed highly unusual and worth all the media attention it can get!! :}

blind pew
25th Jul 2013, 07:49
I asked.......
Had some good ones from the females but shocked that there existed modern men who knew how to land properly....
Like the pitot voltmeters one.
On the DC9 we used to resist the spoilers lowering us as the oleo travel was long and it was a bit like falling into an armchair.

Hotel Tango
25th Jul 2013, 07:50
Off to Jet Blast me thinks. BTW fergineer,autoland will never give you a greaser ;)

Hobo
25th Jul 2013, 07:53
autoland will never give you a greaser

You never experienced an autoland in an HS121 then.

Agree - off to JB.

NAV GREEN
25th Jul 2013, 07:55
You must have paid extra for the premium landing package. Check the small print, it probably doubled the price of your ticket.

DIBO
25th Jul 2013, 07:57
Did it really happen??? Can't find any footage of it on Utube.....

Basil
25th Jul 2013, 08:43
How far down the runway was it? :E

Hotel Tango
25th Jul 2013, 08:44
Hobo, come to think of it, yes I did. Soo long ago though ;)

Agaricus bisporus
25th Jul 2013, 08:53
pew, those who know anything about the B737 know you aren't supposed to "grease" them on. That is incorrect technique. Those who know anything about flying at all know that the sensation of landing has very little to do with whether it was a good one or not, and that it is almost impossible for a pax to judge that from the cabin no matter how experienced/knowledgeable he is.

So all the other incompetents in the last ten years have probably been doing it right. :ugh:

fergineer
25th Jul 2013, 09:22
HT the autoland in the Tristar was a wonderful bit of kit and greased the landing every time.

jwrobbo
25th Jul 2013, 10:46
My first flight lon-Gla in in 1962 in vanguard was a greaser. I thought that was normal!! I'v e done hundreds if not into the thousands by now and have NEVER had another..

a330jockey
25th Jul 2013, 12:49
I used to grease the A330s on regularly!:). And they were difficult airplanes to land smoothly!:eek:

blind pew
25th Jul 2013, 13:13
Guess you are comparing hs121 auto lands on the T3 then....remember when the fleet was grounded due to wing cracks...suggested that it was Owens and Holdstocks tent peg landings...
And of course you can judge a landing from down the back...if my teeth don't fall out it's good and if my neck goes crack I know it's bloody awful..and yes I have experienced the latter.
As for the myths that you have to do a positive touchdown and any smooth landing uses up Tarmac...then one hasn't been trained correctly or one lacks ability.....

timmcat
25th Jul 2013, 13:15
I'm a reasonably frequent flier these days using lots of different airlines but, in my experience I'm afraid its sadly true - FR landings are more often than not hard, and on a small number of occasions extremely firm. Hardly ever have that experience with other airlines.

Edit - and I write that as someone who, controversially otherwise has no issue with Ryanair whatsoever.

Aire de Drome
25th Jul 2013, 13:44
Nice one, Nav.

cockney steve
25th Jul 2013, 14:05
Only flown RYR twice, but , yes, whack it down! On departure, The fast taxi, turn and takeoff in one fluid roll was pretty good, as well!

Torque Tonight
25th Jul 2013, 16:28
As for the myths that you have to do a positive touchdown and any smooth landing uses up Tarmac...then one hasn't been trained correctly or one lacks ability.....

The opinion of someone who has clearly not read the Boeing 737 Flight Crew Traing Manual, not flown the 737NG, and I'll wager has generally had the luxury of flying into major airports where landing distances are not limiting.

The 738 is not the easiest of airliners to landed smoothly.
The manufacture states that that the aircraft should be landed positively and not greased on.
Runways used by Ryanair are often fairly limiting and therefore calculation of landing distances is critical. If you don't then land at the aiming point and get the weight on the wheels straight away your calculations are worthless.
Floating halfway down the runway to achieve a gentle landing aint much good if you then miss your turnoff incurring 10 minutes extra taxy time, or you go off the end of the runway at 50 kts, or you go off the side at 130kts because the it's covered in wet snow, there's a howling crosswind and you're trying to be a little fairy and pussyfooting around.
What the average passenger thinks is a hard landing, isn't actually a hard landing.
Poor old Ryanair pilot's can't win: if they do a Boeing textbook landing they get threads written about hard landings. If they do a greaser they get hassle for not doing a Boeing landing.

grounded27
25th Jul 2013, 17:23
These days that "art" will wind up with you off the end of a runway. No thank you, just stick it on the numbers fellas!

blind pew
25th Jul 2013, 17:36
Interesting how a light hearted comment about one of our brethren who can fly and master his aircraft can turn into a pi**ing contest.
Sadly many of the comments show that some of you can't fly naturely and don't know nor understand your kite.
I could land on the aiming point in similar sized jets without any float...it just needed the right technique...
Those of you who quote the Boeing manual don't realise it was written for the lowest common denominator ...bit like the modern training and skill levels...
Thank the lord for automatics.:ok:

grounded27
25th Jul 2013, 18:19
Interesting how a light hearted comment about one of our brethren who can fly and master his aircraft can turn into a pi**ing contest.
Sadly many of the comments show that some of you can't fly naturely and don't know nor understand your kite.
I could land on the aiming point in similar sized jets without any float...it just needed the right technique...
Those of you who quote the Boeing manual don't realise it was written for the lowest common denominator ...bit like the modern training and skill levels...
Thank the lord for automatics.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Just the point how light hearted intentions end up in disaster. Sadly it is true as a result of automated aircraft and SOP the "art" of piloting an aircraft IS just about dead. I would much prefer having a PF in the seat who has a couple manual landings a day, fact is "the lowest common denominator" is probably flying the aircraft.

nimsu1987
25th Jul 2013, 19:51
I've heard before that the new 737s have a fair amount of ground effect. If this is true, it seems logical that the plane should be placed firmly onto the runway rather than letting it float for a smooth one. But yeah, some of the replies were pretty uncalled for.

deptrai
25th Jul 2013, 20:55
graybeard Pew applauds a young pilot, tongue-in-cheek, yet I assume with a grain of seriousness, and current pilots who know the aircraft (presumably) and the manual swallow the bait/applause and point out that a safe landing can't be judged from the cabin (I tend to agree there; as opposed to a crash, which passengers would notice). Reminds me of the debate about stall recovery techniques, should pilots follow the current manual, or do they know better and apply full power immediately (at cruise altitude, in aircraft with underslung engines with a marked power/pitch-up coupling...). Yet the point that the manual was written for idiots may also be true, but how do you know which parts exactly you know better? flight testing with pax? :E ...epic thread... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/nerd.gif

Torque Tonight
25th Jul 2013, 21:50
Tongue in cheek or not, some comments like that which I quoted, deserve a response. I can put it down light as a feather if I want, but if I'm landing somewhere short, in crappy weather, on a slippery runway I'm going to plant it and get the brakes working straight away. I'll go with Mr Boeing and the training dept's advice in preference to pprune.

NorthernChappie
28th Jul 2013, 15:51
I managed a greaser once - was my first solo. Sadly since then..............

Shack37
28th Jul 2013, 22:25

Hardly a light hearted comment, more sarcastic criticism of your fellow pilots' professional ability ( you are a pilot?)

How do you understand an aircraft, or by kite do you mean a bird?

RTN11
29th Jul 2013, 00:20
I managed a greaser once - was my first solo. Sadly since then..............

Funny how that first solo is always the best we can ever do, mine certainly was!
At least that's how we all seem to remember our first solo.

Lately I've flown mostly BA and Easyjet, can't say I even remember the landings they were that insignificant an event.

Even Flybe's Dash 8s aren't that much of an "arrival" and certainly not worth remembering much more than an hour after the event.

What do you expect from a landing? Some sort of orgasmic experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life? It's a pretty functional phase of flight, do you get this excited when a train pulls into a station, or a bus stops to drop you off? :ugh:

GrahamO
29th Jul 2013, 03:03
Last week, while sitting in a transfer bus in Doha, watching a couple of guys on a small ladder with their heads up near the nose wheel for 10 minutes fumbling around, I wondered if this was going to be a delayed flight.

Fortunately not, we boarded a few minutes later and took off.

On arrival I recalled the joke about the very hard landing by a Qantas airlines jet and the cabin crew announcing that 'Captain Kangaroo and his crew welcomes you to Australia' as the aircraft virtually bounced along the runway after the initial very loud bang as the aircraft landed.

I wondered if they were looking at the shock absorbers and giving the airline equivalent of a kick of tyres and shake of the head.

TightSlot
29th Jul 2013, 18:05
What do you expect from a landing? Some sort of orgasmic experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life
Oh thanks... That put a smile on my jet lagged face that will stay for some hours yet:O

fenland787
29th Jul 2013, 19:57
What do you expect from a landing? Some sort of orgasmic experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life?Well no, not expect, but no objections if you could arrange it.....?