PDA

View Full Version : Diamond DA20 accident

bso
23rd Jul 2013, 10:39
Hi, If anyone are interested, read this accident final report http://www.fomento.gob.es/NR/rdonlyres/2B31A8A2-6642-44F3-9B8F-BDED78CC8CE1/118856/2011_042_A_ENG.pdf

RTN11
23rd Jul 2013, 18:52
Pretty tough chain of events, like they say when the holes line up you're in trouble.

Sounds like they needed to be a lot more careful with fuel drains, and rather shows the point of why a lot of aircraft have two fuel tanks. If this had been a PA-28 or similar they'd of had a whole load of extra fuel available.

The other thing it raises is accurate fuel gauges in GA aircraft. I'm sure most people don't trust the gauges, even if they are showing zero they will ignore them as they did a visual check of the fuel before they left and know the fuel burn.

Still don't really see how they both lost their lives, from the description sounded like a suitable landing site where a landing could have been made where perhaps they could have walked away with minor injuries, or possibly serious injury, but fatal injury is very unexpected in this circumstance.

worrab
23rd Jul 2013, 21:47
Still don't really see how they both lost their lives, from the description sounded like a suitable landing site where a landing could have been made where perhaps they could have walked away with minor injuries, or possibly serious injury, but fatal injury is very unexpected in this circumstance.
Sounds like the landing was attempted on quite a steep up-slope. I've never done it, but I read that landing at some strips in the Alps is a whole new experience as the aircraft has to be flared uphill (and likely under power) to effect a controlled landing.
Sadly this accident appears to be a stark reminder of the need to be attentive to in-flight checks.

patowalker
23rd Jul 2013, 23:02
The LAA has addressed the risk of leaving a drain valve open by mistake:Before installing the Curtis drain valves, file away the portions of the valve body that act to latch the valve in the open position.