PDA

View Full Version : CAE to move B350 Sim back to USA

Grogmonster
23rd Jul 2013, 09:57
I have been told that CAE cant make the numbers stack up on their new B350 KingAir Sim in Melbourne and it is to be shut down in December and moved back to the USA. I would have thought that once they added the B200 module to it that they would have been running it H24!!! What's the story?????

Groggy

bodybag
23rd Jul 2013, 10:43
If your information is correct.. The story is probably along the lines of CAE can't make the numbers stack up with the B350 sim in Melbourne so are moving it back to the States where they can make more money from it.. the rest of the story is that your most likely wrong about the B200 module.

TBM-Legend
23rd Jul 2013, 12:11
CAE are putting a B350 sim in Sale to serve the needs of Ronnie-RAAF...

C206driver
23rd Jul 2013, 21:34
Purely a business decision.
The 350 sim in Dallas is operating at 120%

I beleive the RAAF continue to send pilots elsewhere. Prob Flightsafety

TBM-Legend
23rd Jul 2013, 21:59
King Air Simulator

Minister Smith and Minister Clare also announced that CAE Australia (CAE) will provide Hawker Beechcraft King Air 350 simulator training services in Sale, Victoria.

CAE will establish a full-flight simulator of the King Air 350 operated by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).

The King Air 350 is a modern glass cockpit, twin-engine turboprop with two front seat crew capable of carrying up to four backseat crew or nine passengers.

The King Air is used to train students for low-level tactical fast-jet operations and maritime surveillance operations. Low-level tactical and maritime training flights are typically conducted 250 to 1000 feet above ground level.

The contract, worth $14.2 million, will provide over 1500 simulator hours each year through to the planned withdrawal of the King Air 350 in mid-2018.

CAE will also build the facility to house the simulator and provide training which is currently undertaken in the United States. This training has been done in CAE’s Dallas Simuflite Training Centre because of a lack of such a facility in Australia.

Simulation is an increasingly important method of training for Defence personnel as combat systems become more complex.

Using simulator services in Australia will mean a greater training capability for the RAAF and savings of both time and money.

The simulator will be used by the RAAF’s No. 32 Squadron and the School of Aviation Warfare to train pilots, air combat officers and Royal Australian Navy observers at RAAF Base East Sale.

The procurement of King Air Simulator Services is an important capability addition in the training of Australian Defence personnel.

The simulator and facility will be owned and operated by CAE Australia.

C206driver
24th Jul 2013, 00:43
TBM - I note that article dates back to Dec 13, 2012.

I heard last week It is going back to Dallas, source was CAE themsleves.
Time will tell...

LeadSled
24th Jul 2013, 03:22
I heard last week It is going back to Dallas, source was CAE themsleves.
Time will tell...
Folks,
Sound like history repeating itself. When the RAAF got the B707, doing the sim. in Hong Kong with CX, or later elswhere, was much more fun than a few days at YSSY in the QF sim.
Availability of OS freebie trips for the boyos have always been a major consideration in these and related procurement matters.
Tootle pip

C206driver
24th Jul 2013, 05:38
LeadSlead- reckon you've hit the nail on the head!

Ducksbum
24th Jul 2013, 06:46
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't RAAF King Airs have proline 2 cockpits?
I assume the sim will aswell, hardly 'Glass Cockpits' and of limited use to other 350 operators I would think....

morno
24th Jul 2013, 08:00
Proline 21.

If the above rumour is true, perhaps had they put the B200 part into the sim as well like many customers asked for, they wouldn't have to ship it back to the US.

morno

Grogmonster
25th Jul 2013, 10:02
Morno is correct. The Sale sim is going to be an old EFIS 85 Sim and the Melbourne proline 21 Sim is going back to Dallas and I agree with him, as I previously stated, that the addition of the B200 Module would have changed the whole demographic.

Groggy

27/09
25th Jul 2013, 10:18
Folks,
Sound like history repeating itself. When the RAAF got the B707, doing the sim. in Hong Kong with CX, or later elswhere, was much more fun than a few days at YSSY in the QF sim.
Availability of OS freebie trips for the boyos have always been a major consideration in these and related procurement matters.

If the above statement has any truth to it, then the addition of the B200 Module would have probably made no difference.

Howard Hughes
25th Jul 2013, 10:40
There was no B200 module, it is a B350 sim only. A B200 proline 21 sim, or convertible B200/B350 (if available) would have made more sense in Oz!

Sad to see it go! :{

sillograph
24th Nov 2014, 13:16
Just dragging this old thread up with a question.

Can the 350 sim be reconfigured for the 1900, as it looks like both are similar endo's on the new part 61.

Or if you have a 1900 endorsement do you only need to do the differences training to gain the 350. It would be interesting to see what the differences training involves and cost etc.

And then would the 350 sim work qualify for the 1900 training time, endorsement or emergency procedures etc…

It just seems silly that the 350 sim is here but we still do the 1900 endorsement in the aircraft, surely its better to utilise some sim work.

Grogmonster
25th Nov 2014, 09:30
The CAE sim at sale is an EFIS 85 setup so it does roughly relate to the B1900. My question is why dont you go to NZ and use the Eagle Air B1900 sim? Then you dont have to worry about differences and I reckon it would be easier to get to NZ than Sale which is a 3 hour drive from Melbourne. Probably similar travel cost as well.

Groggy

BPA
25th Nov 2014, 09:39
Won't be much need for the 1900 sim in NZ now, with ANZ shutting down Eagle and the 1900 operation.

onehitwonder
25th Nov 2014, 18:32
Even with the new part 61 changes

sillograph
26th Nov 2014, 08:06
maybe they should send the 1900 sim from NZ to AUS, with the mandatory use rule it will get plenty of work.

Has to be cheaper than going to the US or doing the training in the aircraft.