PDA

View Full Version : Which way is suitable for me?

TobyMa
22nd Jul 2013, 17:01
It is my dream to become an airline pilot, I am 23 now and just finished my degree last year in mathematics. I have no flying experience. And at most I can have USD60k for my flight training.

I have tried the cadet pilot programmes of CX and DA, but I failed in the second stage, which was the interview part.
I am going to Germany and fly for around 10 hours, I dunno whether I would have advantage in the interview after I have such experience, but it maybe a chance for me to ensure that pilot is my aim.

I planned to reapply CX and DA cpp for the second time, and I have studied some aviation knowledge and I am now attending a course of Flight Experience HK, which provide ground school theory and 737-NG flight simulator for me.
I just wonder if I fail in the second attempt, I should go to get a PPL first and try cpp, or I should get a CPL then apply for cpp.
And I have a question, I live in HK, if I get a CFI in a flight school, am I permitted to be a flight instructor in the flight school? Do I need a working visa?
Can anyone give me some advice, thank you

RTN11
22nd Jul 2013, 22:37
Did they give you any feedback on why you failed? If it's a personality thing then you may struggle, as this is difficult to change, and the philosophy of aviation these days is pushed so much to CRM and the right personality types, if there is a fundamental flaw you may never get on.

On the other hand, it may be a sort of go away for a year and get some more "life experience" and we'll look at you again when you have matured a bit or whatever.

The few hours you plan to fly probably wouldn't help you with any airline, other than to show that you are indeed interested in flying. It will probably be more use to you personally, as you have stated yourself, to be sure for yourself that you definitely want to be a pilot.

To answer your final question, yes you would need a working visa to instruct, so you should do the licence/instructor rating that is relevant to the country you wish to work in as a flying instructor.