PDA

View Full Version : Test pilots info needed

rollrollroll
22nd Jul 2013, 15:51
Guys, I urgently need some info regarding air force test pilots, as follows:

average/recommended/max/min age to start training for test pilots
average/recommended/max/min total flying hours and ratings/experience
average age for retirement

Also, if you may refere to relevant references, policies, reccommendations etc., or any information, you consider significant regarding this issue, I would be very grateful.

seadrills
22nd Jul 2013, 16:13
Why not telephone ETPS and ask them?

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 16:20
You might care to watch this 80's BBC series on YouTube ...

test pilot episode 1 - YouTube

All episodes are there ...

Onceapilot
22nd Jul 2013, 16:35
Wow! More trainee TP's than we have trainee pilots in the RAF today:uhoh:?

OAP

CoffmanStarter
22nd Jul 2013, 17:03
Yep ... What a change in 30 years :(

CharlieJuliet
22nd Jul 2013, 20:22
You need to go and dig out the DCIs ( Defence Council Instrucions) which were issued each year (in about Feb) asking for ETPS applications. AFIK the reqirements were: 750 hours 1st pilot, a recent operational tour and an 'above average' log book assessment. Those who applied were then asked to go for interview at Boscombe in about July where the students for the next year's course were selected. It is interesting to note that the UK candidates were not all in competition with each other as they were selected to fill known vacances. For instance a Jaguar pilot would not be selected to fill a transport slot and vice versa.

Courtney Mil
22nd Jul 2013, 20:53
I'm guessing from the questions you've asked that this isn't just about you thinking of applying. Perhaps you could tell us what you're after?

rollrollroll
22nd Jul 2013, 21:26
Thanks for answers. Courtney Mil, we have here a competition for test pilots in flight test center (I'm speaking about test pilots for prototypes i.e. experimental test pilots). I need information IOT explain usual international practice regarding the selection of such pilots to my bosses. And, yes, I'm personally involed in that competition.

Andy1973
22nd Jul 2013, 21:29
ETPS Entry Standard

Recommended for flight test duties by government / commercial sponsor

> 750 hours as First Pilot

High academic ability in mathematics, mechanics, aerodynamics & aero-systems

Strong command of written and spoken aviation & technical English

More details on ETPS website. Any Qs feel free to PM me.