PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth near Oxford

tmmorris
22nd Jul 2013, 12:22
A friend of mine (ATPL, expired SEP but planning to get it back shortly) is looking for a Tiger Moth for tail wheel conversion, aeros and solo hire. He lives near Oxford. Is there such a thing (within a reasonable distance) or would he have to join a group?

Tim

Jude098
22nd Jul 2013, 12:35
Tiger Airways at EGBJ, an hours drive from Oxford Home (http://tigerairways.co.uk/)

tmmorris
22nd Jul 2013, 19:15
Thanks, I'll pass that on. Do you know if they allow solo hire after a certain number of hours dual?

Jude098
22nd Jul 2013, 21:04
Sorry no idea. Give them a ring. Tizzy and Chris

18greens
22nd Jul 2013, 21:23
There is also that lot at Cambridge. They seem to be setting the standard for tiger moth flying. There's also Headcorn but I assume Cambridge would be closer.

If you want a share in a tiger there are several at white Waltham. In my experience there is always a group member ready to sell and what a great club to be at. They also have a jungman which is syndicated.....

Fitter2
23rd Jul 2013, 07:12
<pedant mode> If you want a tailwheel conversion, you need a Cub, Chipmunk or similar. But if a tailskid conversion will do, the Tiger is great fun to land (and learn to taxy in a crosswind - or any wind at all...).
</pedant mode>

tmmorris
23rd Jul 2013, 11:51
Thanks. He's well aware of the Headcorn lot having grown up in Kent, but it's rather a long way (I suggested he fly himself down and back in the club 152...)

I've flown at the Cambridge setup myself - rather alarming as you set course across the hard runway and hope you come off at the same angle you went on at...

Tim