PDA

View Full Version : Will I live under a flightpath?

Hersham Boy
2nd May 2002, 10:16
First time in this forum, so be gentle...

I'm looking at buying a property within about 10 miles of EGKK. How can I tell whether I wil be under a departure/arrrival path? Can I tell from the VRPs, for instance? Or can NATS help me?

When I moved to my last place, I called West Drayton and a very helpful chap sent me a map that rvealed I was in a very quiet spot in Hersham... I want to ensure the same again!

I hasten to add, I'm not a complainer - I fly out of EGKR - but don't want to discover my dream pad is a candidate for having a boundary market installed in the garden!

Thanks
Hersh

BEXIL160
2nd May 2002, 10:28
South side of East Grinstead would be my choice. Actually the whole of E. Grinstead is supposed to be avoided, but the north side of the town is of course adjacent to the Final Approach track for 26L (or climb out for 08R).

I think the maps you refer to still exist. They show all the SIDs (in pretty colours) from EGLL & EGKK.

2nd May 2002, 11:31
The arrival/departure plates are all in the public domain (if you're referring to routes close to the airfield), or you can look at them online at:

http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/ad/EGKK.htm

Spitoon
2nd May 2002, 21:18
The runway is orientated roughly east/west - I'd look directly north or south of the airport. You'll already recognise that if you go north you may be affected by light aircraft noise.

Hersham Boy
3rd May 2002, 08:14
Thanks all - I guess I should have already thought of the AIS site... it's an amazing resource.

Think I'll be alright - as for the light a/c noise out of Redhill, I can't really complain about that, as I'll be contributing! Actually, we are told to avoid overflying the town I'm moving to so as long as we follow orders we'll all be happy.

Hersh

sennadog
8th May 2002, 07:29
Hersham Boy,

you'll barely notice the fixed wing aircraft coming out of Redhill although some of the magimixes can be a bit intrusive on a calm day. The noise from the M25 is worse though if you live up that way and I know what I'd rather listen to! As for Gatwick, you will hear them coming over but I tend to notice them more than Mrs.Sennadog as I'm "tuned in" to those sounds.....

:D