PDA

View Full Version : Question for UK HEMS Operators

KiwiNedNZ
21st Jul 2013, 09:22
Gentlemen,

Question for you in ref to correspondence I just had about visiting UK HEMS operation.

Was advised by them that I would be unable to fly on their aircraft to take photos because the CAA demands that all media pax must have completed an Aircrew CRM course.

Can you tell me if this is correct and if so what bought this about. Normally at all operators I have visited there is the standard brief of dont do this, dont touch that etc, stay away from spinning things and things that are hot. Why is it now this rule.

Thanks.

Ned

Bertie Thruster
21st Jul 2013, 12:54
No change in the rules, Ned. Only tightening up on sticking to the existing ones.

Media can fly but HEMS crew may not then use their AOC HEMS exemptions from the UK ANO. (which would mean only normal CAT Flights and landings.)

This has always been the case though in the past I have heard that certain operators blatantly ignored this rule, for PR purposes.

Any media flying on HEMS these days in the UK will be trained medical pax (or even HEMS crew), approved by the relevant charity and with their media job as a 'secondary' role.

KiwiNedNZ
21st Jul 2013, 17:49
BT,

Thanks for that, so how does it work if I am not a media person for the actual charity.

For example I wish to come and visit the HEMS operator and do a story and shoot some air to air photos etc. Or does the rule thats in place stop this happening.

Thanks.

md 600 driver
21st Jul 2013, 18:33
How do they do helicopter Heros and other tv programmes

Ned try Yorkshire AA. You can then come over to me and play in the gazelle
Steve

jayteeto
21st Jul 2013, 19:48
The camera crew do a HEMS course, simple

jayteeto
21st Jul 2013, 19:52
Kiwi, you CAN fly with them and take photos, you CAN'T land at a HEMS site because that is putting you as a passenger at risk. It doesn't matter what yours or others views are, that is the rule.

KiwiNedNZ
21st Jul 2013, 20:06
Jayteeto - I think you miss the point of my original post. I never said I was going to ride along on HEMS missions or land at an accident site. I said I was told that I would be unable to fly with them AT ALL because I had not done an aircrew crm course.

This applied I was told to ALL flights including what we wanted to do, just do a sortie to shoot some air to air shots.

Ned

Anthony Supplebottom
21st Jul 2013, 20:18
This course which you are being asked to take, do you have details about it?

Who conducts the training, how much does it cost and will it be recognised for similar operations you may wish to visit in the UK in the future?

KiwiNedNZ
21st Jul 2013, 20:20
Anthony - No sorry I didnt get any other info about the course only that it was an Aircrew CRM course and that its CAA rules and applies to anyone who wants to fly with a UK HEMS operator.

KiwiNedNZ
21st Jul 2013, 23:36
Hedski - Copies of all the digital images, both the S92 and also the AW139 images were sent to the person from CHC who arranged all the visits, his name was Carl I believe, used to work for HM Coastguard before going to work for CHC. They were sent couple of months after the story was published. Happy to send anyone copies of the images if they wish, just drop me a PM with name and email address which ones they want, 139 or 92.

jayteeto
22nd Jul 2013, 15:54
Sounds like an excuse to say no. If flight is not Hems, it can be a Cat flight with you as a pax. Pilot safety brief all required.

md 600 driver
22nd Jul 2013, 16:40
Ned
try this AA they have tv crews that fly with them

Yorkshire Air Ambulance - Charity (http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/)

Flaxton Flyer
22nd Jul 2013, 17:02
All the camera bods flying with YAA have had an approved HEMS course, CRM course and first aid course (plus a dunker for some of them).

YAA will generally not allow any "ad-hoc" media flights in their aircraft. No need of the publicity when you have your own TV show!:)

KiwiNedNZ
22nd Jul 2013, 22:09
Okay thanks for the info guys. Will look at other options