PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather

Xswqaz
20th Jul 2013, 08:56
Hi, I'm aviation enthusiast and Flight simmer, I was wondering if there anything special a 737 pilot has to do hot weather, Like the kind PHX and LAS had a couple weeks ago? I know it was too hot to CRJs US Airways had to ground them. I was wondering if pilots Operated the packs via APU or turned off the bleed air? And I was also wondering what the procedures air for hot weather operations?

Johnny F@rt Pants
20th Jul 2013, 09:27
special 737 pilots

What about regular 737 pilots too:}

Xswqaz
20th Jul 2013, 18:50
Sorry I should do of put a comma in ther I ment "is there anything special, a 737 pilot has to do in hot weather".

DaveReidUK
20th Jul 2013, 23:27
When you're in a hole, stop digging ...

WIDN62
20th Jul 2013, 23:41
Unless the original post has been amended, there should not be a comma; it clearly says "special a 737 pilot" and does not ask about "special 737 pilots".
This is Spectators Balcony - if you don't like the questions, don't answer them! Many professional pilots started as interested spectators.

WIDN62
21st Jul 2013, 20:40
I see you have still not had a sensible answer! I have no 737 (or any other jet) experience but can give you some turbo-prop answers - as the workings of the engine are essentially the same, it may go somewhere towards an answer for you.
The aircraft Operating Data manual (ODM) has graphs (these are nowadays all computerised) which can give you the maximum take-off weight for a given runway on a given day - wind and temperature being major factors. If the aircraft is too heavy then something has to give. In my turbo-prop we can switch all the bleeds off for take-off (this means no air conditioning or pressurisation for a few minutes) and restore them when safely climbing away and that will definitely increase the take-off weight for the conditions. Otherwise, fuel or passengers/freight will have to be looked at. The only time fuel can be reduced significantly is if there is an opportunity to refuel somewhere on the way to destination. I imagine that most airlines use historical averages and work this out before it gets to the day of the flight - they will probably also factor in a bit of slack. If the temperatures are extreme, they may still have to reduce weight.
Finally, most aircraft have a maximum temperature at which they may be operated - maybe it reached that for the CRJs, but I would be surprised.
I hope this helps - as I said only educated guesses!

Airbanda
22nd Jul 2013, 14:53
Chunk of my teenage years (74-79) spent spotting at Leeds Bradford. Runway was only 5400 feet but from 76 onward Britannia flew IC charters to Med using 737 equipment. Only specific machines, later 'advanced' models with more powerful engines were used but still pretty marginal.

If air temp got to around 20C then they needed to lose weight. Usually this meant a tech stop at Luton. Alos not uncommon for pax to be wieghed at check in for a more accurate load sheet.

SFCC
22nd Jul 2013, 15:59
A very sensible question that was (incorrectly) pounced on by somebody.
I'm Airbus, therefore cannot directly answer your question but there are a great many helpful Boeing chaps on here that will do so.

MarkerInbound
22nd Jul 2013, 16:32
Boeing provides hot weather operational information in their Vol. 1s. For the 737 it talks about keeping the cabin cool, being aware of brake temperatures and doing no engine bleed TOs or improved climb TOs. The max fuel temp is 49c.

Many years ago PHX hit whatever the number was at the top of the performance charts (50c?) for 737s and SW and America West both stopped flying. Everyone thought that was going to be a one time event but SW sent a check to Boeing that evening and got an expanded temperature range. Guess what, the next day the same thing happened. AW had to park their planes but SW kept flying.

Xswqaz
23rd Jul 2013, 00:58
Do you have a link to the "hot weather operational information"?

mutt
23rd Jul 2013, 08:36
Generally the environmental envelope is ISA+35C, this allies to Airbus, a lot of corporate jets, Embraers and older Boeing. The manufacturers will sell an increased envelope up to ISA+39.4, this allows a temperature of 54C at sea level.

Mutt

MarkerInbound
23rd Jul 2013, 13:43
It's in SP 16.

http://www.flightdeck737.be/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/FCOM-Vol1-Rev18.pdf

con-pilot
23rd Jul 2013, 17:51
Many years ago PHX hit whatever the number was at the top of the performance charts (50c?) for 737s and SW and America West both stopped flying. Everyone thought that was going to be a one time event but SW sent a check to Boeing that evening and got an expanded temperature range. Guess what, the next day the same thing happened. AW had to park their planes but SW kept flying.

I was flying 727s back then and the day you are referring to I was landing in Phoenix that afternoon. We knew it was hot, really hot, but seeing we were landing I was not overly concerned about it, as we were spending the night there.

As we turned final the FE tapped me on my shoulder and told me that I had one degree left. 'Left for what?' I asked him. If it got just one degree hotter we could not land, legally. So I said don't anybody ask for a current temperature. We landed.

I think by the time we got to the hotel in Scottsdale, it was 128F. I heard later that only SW was the only airline that could takeoff, for the reason you pointed out. Some of the SW flights departed with only about 20 passengers on them, but they did depart when no one else could. Good PR.

It was so hot that afternoon, we could just barely make it from one bar to the next. :p

Oh, when we left midmorning the next day, I think it was already well over 100 F. But the first leg was a short one so I didn't need all that much fuel, so there was no issue on departure.