PDA

View Full Version : Corsica

Thuecl
19th Jul 2013, 15:43
Hi,

I've been searching for information about flying and renting a plane in Corsica. But haven't found much.

Does anybody know if it's possible to rent a C172 or a PA28 (best of all would be a G115 :p) in Corsica?

And how is the flying there?

Regards,

Thue

chevvron
19th Jul 2013, 16:52
I did see some light aircraft at Figari airport in the south when I was there a couple of years ago; no idea whether they were for rent. There's also a GA airfield on the west coast south of Ajaccio; looking at google maps it's called Propriano.

werewolf
19th Jul 2013, 20:02
Aero-club de Figari (Figari flying club) :
VOLER avec l' Aéroclub Sud Corse - Figari (http://aeroclubsudcorse.free.fr/voler.htm)
For visiting pilots : e155 an hour, a check flight, a clubmembership (annual) e100, all pilot's documents current (licence, SEP, medical ...) (Updating 2009)
Hope that helps.

Corsican
20th Jul 2013, 03:56
I've flown out of Bastia (Aéroclub Bastia Saint Exupéry (http://aeroclub-saint-exupery.fr/)) a couple of times with my relative. The club has a couple of PA-28's which are in good shape (149 euros ph). I can check with him if you want more info as the link to the site is in French.

Corsica is beautiful from ground, sea or air (but i am part Corsican so biased). The ATC is interesting sometimes as I think they do training there but quite relaxed so long as you stay out of the military airbase zone (obviously) further down the coast and live fire range. Good English as they are dealing with flights from all over Europe.

On one flight, we flew around the island from Bastia to Ajaccio (a little over an hour) had lunch at the Aeroclub d'Ajaccio (busier airport, transfer minibus from the GA zone to the club but good food 2 years ago) then continued up the coast, meandered by the Monte Cinto (highest mountain on the island at 8,800 feet) and back to Bastia landing between a pair of Airbuses.

Let me know if you want more info and I can check with my relative and contacts who fly there more regularly.

Thuecl
23rd Jul 2013, 08:18
Thank you very much!

I appreciate all information I can get!

Chevvron: Thank you for info on Propriano.

Werewolf: Thank you for the link and info. Eventhough the site hasn't been update for a cople of years, I'm sure it will be helpfull. And eventhough my french is a bit rusty, I managed to understand most of the info.

Corsican: More info would be appreciated. I hope to be able to go to Corsica in late september, and if I do, it would be silly not to grab the chance to get some interesting flying. Do you know if the club requires a check flight?

After watching the first three stages of The Tour de France I cannot believe I haven't been to Corsica yet. More beatifull island is had to imagine...

Thanks you all!

:) Thue

kevwal
20th Feb 2014, 21:35
Hi

Did you make it to Corsica? I am considering it in 2014 and always after more info?

Thanks very much
Kev

chevvron
21st Feb 2014, 09:37
Going there in May but I'm on a 'package' flying via Nice then ferry to/from Calvi; there's another airport there.

Thuecl
22nd Feb 2014, 10:40
No unfortunately didn't I go there... I would still love to!

chevvron
22nd Feb 2014, 11:13
We're going with www.newmarket.holidays.co.uk

Corsican
23rd Feb 2014, 21:33
Thuecl

Somehow I missed your original reply last year, so apologies for not responding to your question... I am pretty sure that the Aeroclub de Bastia will require a checkride of sorts (possibly just a few circuits) given that they are entrusting an aircraft to someone albeit for a fee. It is probably helpful in any event as they can talk you through any particularities of Bastia.

As it happens, I am planning on going to Corsica this summer after an enforced sabatical last year (obligation to spend the summer holidays with my wife's family elsewhere :)) so I will get back to you once I hear more on how it works.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that if you are in the south of the island, it may be worth checking out Ajaccio and Propriano. Despite being an island of modest size, it can take some time to drive to different parts - especially if you get stuck behind a camper van.

All the best and roll on some nice weather to prepare for the summer!

Corsican

chevvron
24th Feb 2014, 08:10
To visit Corsica is to love it; we can't wait to get back. Our main 'theme' this time is to see Napolean's birthplace at Ajaccio.

Corsican
24th Feb 2014, 09:10
Chevvron

I think the one place on the island I have not properly visited is Ajaccio (apart from the airport); perhaps this year. Either way, I absolutely second your view on Corsica. I spend most of the year dreaming of being there and when I am there, I dread the departure date! Apart from my kids, the only thing which keeps me sane is flying ... well, waiting for the weather to clear for my skills test, hopefully this weekend.