PDA

View Full Version : Traffic for Fairford Air Tattoo

CharlieDeltaUK
17th Jul 2013, 20:26
Having sat for hours in the traffic into Fairford last year, would anyone tell me what time one needs to hit the airfield to avoid the silly queues? I'm going on Sunday.

sharpend
17th Jul 2013, 21:00
About 5:30 :)

sharpend
17th Jul 2013, 21:02
But seriously, as I live close to Fairford, I'm off to the Bulldog/Pup club 30th at North Weald that day!

DavidWoodward
17th Jul 2013, 21:13
I'm setting off from Manchester at 5am and aim to hit the Fairford local area at 8. That should be enough time to get through the gates before the display ends and we all have to go home...

CharlieDeltaUK
17th Jul 2013, 23:08
0530...really? Come on chaps (or ladies), has anyone got any real guidance on this? I even thought about driving part way and then cycling...until I noticed that the ticket specifically prohibits bringing bicycles to the airfield.:confused:

tmmorris
18th Jul 2013, 05:50
Personally, after previous experiences, I plan to arrive around 1130. Yes, I'll miss some of the show, but last time the children were fed up by 3 and we missed the Reds...

Tim

PS where does it say you can't bring bikes? All I can see is a statement that you must leave them in the car park.

muffin
18th Jul 2013, 08:13
I used to have a trade stand there for many years and I can assure you that the queues are back to the A419 by around 0600. Thank heavens I don't have to go there these days.

RedhillPhil
18th Jul 2013, 09:05
Train to Swindon and then the coach shuttle for me and number one son.

CharlieDeltaUK
18th Jul 2013, 10:36
PS where does it say you can't bring bikes? All I can see is a statement that
you must leave them in the car park.

You are correct. Just looked at the website and it seems we can cycle there - but must leave bikes chained to the car park fence. Got to be worth a go

Scott C
18th Jul 2013, 10:56
Myself and two other members of ATC staff are taking a minibus load of cadets down on Sunday.

Fairford is about 75 miles from us (1hr 45mins(ish)) and we were planning to leave the Sqn at 06:00.

However, reading this thread, it looks like we may have to leave earlier!

betterfromabove
19th Jul 2013, 09:42
I went with couple of friends last year for the first time in many years.

Was on the Sunday. Can't remember what time we exactly left London (07h30?) but arrived at Fairford just before first display started ....09h30?

No queue whatsoever (except for usual sluggishness at entry to car park as everyone slowed down) and drove straight in.

At last visit in mid-Nineties by coach remember spending 30 mins crawling through Fairford and other villages, but have known far, far worse for a big event. F'boro these days is a real PITA by car, since are dumped in car parks miles away and need to then take a shuttle bus and Le Bourget....let's not even talk about it.:\

Another_CFI
20th Jul 2013, 21:58
I used to fly the boss to Fairford annually. We always flew into Kemble by around 9 to 9:30 and had little hassle then going to Fairford by road. Only caveat, book the taxi in advance.

astir 8
22nd Jul 2013, 12:45
A couple years back I was part of a team exhibiting an ex ATC Slingsby Sedbergh (T21) at Fairford. Because we'd brought an aircraft (albeit on a trailer!) we were issued with big "Aircrew and Groundcrew" passes.

We had to get there early both days to rig the glider and on the Sunday I arrived at about 0600. With the pass I was allowed straight in and there was just me on the airfield with about a zillion pounds worth of hardware. Now that was an experience and I have the photos to prove it!

The pass also got me half an hour unaccompanied inside the BBMF Lancaster.

So my advice is, if you're going to Fairford, take an aircraft with you! (even a T21!):ok: