PDA

View Full Version : Constellation over Kent 17th July 13

gcal
17th Jul 2013, 17:17
I spotted a Lockheed Constellation being shadowed by a smaller aircraft (possibly filming it) over Dungeness, in the area of Lydd at about 1530A this afternoon.
It seemed a fine shiny example but I was not aware any were still flying. It's sad but I was not close enough to see any markings or reg no.
I was a pax on the Romney Hyth and Dymchurch railway at the time.
Can anyone shed any light on it please?
My father who flew them for Ace Freighters called them Consternations :O but they certainly had an elegant look about them.

L1649
17th Jul 2013, 17:32
You may want to take a look at the "Breitling Super Connie in the UK" thread. ;)

Hotel Tango
17th Jul 2013, 19:42
Best three engined aircraft that ever flew.

treadigraph
17th Jul 2013, 19:51
I recall Roger Bacon on the Connie:

"The old Constipation sat on the ramp and passers-by fled in panic as her four Wright Turbo Compounds burst into flames".

Wonderful old bird, quite the most beautiful airliner. And best sounding...

SpringHeeledJack
17th Jul 2013, 20:25
How I'd have liked to be here https://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/357561488635990016/photo/1 and to have heard the sound of the engines....

SHJ

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jul 2013, 20:46
And don't forget the squeaking of the brakes as it taxies.

The SSK
18th Jul 2013, 09:53
Trying to recall the Connies I saw in my spotting days in the mid 60s. They were almost as rare as hen’s teeth then, but you still got lucky sometimes.

An Iberia Super at Gatwick
Quite a few Flying Tigers there also
And at least one Ace Freighters
A couple of seasons regular fortnightly Palma charters from Newcastle, either Skyways or Euravia
Complete and half-wrecked examples in the boneyard at Coventry (Ace again?)
I’ve a notion I saw a Lufthansa example at Heathrow but I’m fuzzy about that.

quite the most beautiful airliner
I'll second that

gcal
18th Jul 2013, 11:11
My father flew the Consternation with Ace Freighters.
He also flew:
Electra's for TelAir (Basle based)
Brits for Caledonian
707s for the same and BCAL
1-11s for the above.
Plus umpteen military types including NF14 Meteors.

PaperTiger
19th Jul 2013, 16:56
I’ve a notion I saw a Lufthansa example at Heathrow but I’m fuzzy about that.You're not wrong, LH did fly them to LHR well into the 60s although they may have been Starliners. Air France were common too and if you were real lucky a Brazilian or Argentine one :ok:.

Hotel Tango
19th Jul 2013, 17:20
LH used a Connie into BHX (Birmingham UK) as late as 1966 (during the World Cup tournament).

Hartington
19th Jul 2013, 17:56
Around the time of the Biafra crisis a connie turned up at Gatwick. My precise memory is hazy but I think it had 2 different registrations (one from Cyprus?) and used a different registration as a call sign on approach. I think it was one of the gun runners?

treadigraph
19th Jul 2013, 22:55
One of Hank Wharton's Connies - Ostensibly Mauritanian registered?

DaveReidUK
19th Jul 2013, 23:36
You're not wrong, LH did fly them to LHR well into the 60s although they may have been Starliners. Air France were common too and if you were real lucky a Brazilian or Argentine oneAnd, just up the road at Northolt, Indian AF Connies were relatively common up to the early 70s:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1003785M.jpg
http://www.pprune.org/javascript:popUp('/popup.php?q=1003785')

UAVop
20th Jul 2013, 18:19
There is a live one at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

http://www.museumofflight.org/files/resize/FileUploads/connieJanetDetz2008-360x225.jpg

compton3bravo
20th Jul 2013, 18:51
Had the pleasure of flying on an Iberia Super Connie from Manchester to Palma 50 years ago last month. The airline ticket was Aviaco (still got it) and travelled with Wallace Arnold for two weeks full board for 30 quid. Had my own room with a shower and toilet at the hotel. I remember having to step over the spar when landing at Manchester and also having to identify one´s own luggage on the tarmac at Manchester before embarkation. Happy memories and very lucky to fly on a Connie.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Jul 2013, 20:05
Treadigraph... I saw 5T-TAF in Malta in February, 1968 but I don't think it was airworthy. Would that be one you referred to?