PDA

View Full Version : ADSB mandate

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 02:23
Ok people, hit me with what I should be doing here for my project... The project will be registered and completed THIS year, however it would be nice to be ready

2014 – Mode S for New aircraft and Mode S for New
transponders: Any aircraft that is first registered or modified by
having its transponder installation replaced on or after 6 February 2014 and is operated in Class A, B, C or E airspace or above 10,000 feet above mean sea level in Class G airspace must carry a serviceable Mode S transponder.

It will only be VFR possibly NVFR so in theory I don't need to comply for quite some time.

Garmin, Trig or otherwise.....? The more affordable the better.

thunderbird five
17th Jul 2013, 02:31
Wook vewwy carefuwwy at CAO 20.18 (2013 version) for some clues.:E

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 02:37
Yep, it's all in there, hence my wanting to align with the regs for the future.

Civil Aviation Order 20.18 - Aircraft equipment - Basic operational requirements (02/12/2004) (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00572)

Jabawocky
17th Jul 2013, 03:27
GTN750 and a GTX330ES should cover you :E

OZBUSDRIVER
17th Jul 2013, 03:31
Amazed you haven't contacted the Jabawocky, XXX.

edit-dammitt! He's here already:}

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 04:18
Seriously Jabba, how much spare cash do you think the XXX has ?????

Based on my research thus far, the cheapest on the market appears to be the Trig unit with remote head at sub $2.5k, but the screen isn't colourful enough for Jabba, he needs big coloured pictures and avionics that talk to him through his intercom :cool:

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 04:23
Whilst on the topic of transponders, I was of the belief that a transponder is not required in Class D such as Moorabbin, but came across a chap recently that was adament that it was.... who was correct?

89 steps to heaven
17th Jul 2013, 06:28
A transponder is not required in class D airspace, however if the aircraft is fitted with a servicable transponder, it must be switched on.

T28D
17th Jul 2013, 07:21
On and squark 3000

Sunfish
17th Jul 2013, 08:20
..And once you have fitted ADS-B it is an offence to turn it off.....ever, no matter what the airspace. And if it breaks you have three days to get it fixed or you are grounded.

The possibilities for automated administrative cruelty inherent in ADS -B eclipses the humble automotive road speed camera.

It is inconceivable that the current iteration of CASA won't make use of it as an enforcement and harassment tool.

I won't fit it solely for that reason until forced.

Probably now Trig transponder and Two Garmin GTR225...and an GMA240 audio panel.

I need at least one certified radio. I was thinking of the new garmin touch screen GPS/com and an Icom for a full ADS-B installation. The Dynon unit is nice but ain't certified and I don't like the Microair which is only "approved" by CASA For listed airframes if you read their documentation.

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2013, 08:28
..And once you have fitted ADS-B it is an offence to turn it off.....ever.Better cuff me now, I turn it off everyday to shut the aircraft down! ;)

If you have it available Sunfish, why would you want to turn it off anyway? :rolleyes:

Sunfish
17th Jul 2013, 08:40
Howard, once you have it, and it goes U/S, you are grounded if you haven't fixed it within three days.

As for turning it off, are you serious?

"Turning crosswind at 490 feet" - 5 points.

"Flying within 2 miles of controlled airspace? - please explain.

"Detected low flying at 499 ft AGL" - 5 points.

"Exceeding 250 knots in VFR flight" - I wish!

The possibilities for administrative embuggerance are endless for an enquiring mind.

morno
17th Jul 2013, 08:54
Sunny I'll plead guilty to turning final at 450ft even, and all the aircraft I fly have ADS-B. Still waiting for a fine in the mail, :rolleyes:.

You're a paranoid man Sunny, very paranoid.

morno

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2013, 08:58
Me too mate, if you can fly that well, I tips me hat to you! :ooh:

FJ44
17th Jul 2013, 09:00
Sunny I'll plead guilty to turning final at 450ft even, and all the aircraft I fly have ADS-B. Still waiting for a fine in the mail, .

You're a paranoid man Sunny, very paranoid.

morno

You are a brave man Morno.

I wouldn't trust them not to use it to their advantage for any reason!!
:yuk::yuk:

morno
17th Jul 2013, 09:14
I don't see why I should be worried when if my worst infringement is tuning final 50ft too low, :confused:.

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2013, 09:24
50 feet low is 'in tolerance'! ;)

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 09:30
I suspect mine will be going U/S quite frequently.

Paranoid is quite the understatement chaps!

At least you're not registering with the RAA Sunny, you might never get off the ground, which is ironic after my paranoid comments above because if I'm not mistaken, you pretty much predicted the current RAA situation :-)

Sunfish
17th Jul 2013, 09:35
Paranoid? Don't you have speed cameras in your area? Understand how they are used for revenue raising?

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2013, 09:40
They haven't raised any revenue from me Sunny!

Personally I'm in favour of speed cameras, they don't impinge on my life at all, although I do prefer the unmarked ones they have in Victoria, compared to the ones we have in NSW. How they raise any revenue in NSW is beyond me, perhaps there are more idiots in NSW than I first thought! ;)

Jabawocky
17th Jul 2013, 10:56
Whats wrong with turning final at 50' :}

XXX
Seriously if you go the Skyview the integrated Trig unit is good, but you need a TSO146 box to feed it. These will come in time. So for now fit the trig and that satisfies the mode S and then later fit the 146-GPS.

Or fit the GTX330ES and later a suitable second hand GNS430W.

Nice NVFR outfit then :ok:

XXX can afford it when compared to the "deal" he has so far ;)

VH-XXX
17th Jul 2013, 11:14
Whats wrong with turning final at 50'

Nothing..... If you are in a float plane.

That "deal" you speak of Jabba is quickly heading towards being over budget... but not by that many thousands. Based on my current calculations the project will be 14% over initial estimates and if I fit what you are suggesting it will be 35% over. Pretty good none the less.

Flying Binghi
18th Jul 2013, 00:36
...once you have fitted ADS-B it is an offence to turn it off.....ever, no matter what the airspace. And if it breaks you have three days to get it fixed or you are grounded...

What happens when the GPS signal aint available for over three days ? Can we ground CASA..:)

I see China is developing its new GPS system with selective availability. Now what do they know...

Nautilus Blue
18th Jul 2013, 02:42
I can only speak for ATC not CASA, but,

"Turning crosswind at 490 feet" - 5 points.
Altitude readout has a 200 foot tolerance, so 300 feet = 500 feet = 700 feet.

"Flying within 2 miles of controlled airspace? - please explain.
Outside the yellow line on my screen is outside to me. I'll pipe up if I think you're going in, but paperwork would not be submitted.

"Detected low flying at 499 ft AGL" - 5 points.
I have no idea what ground level is exactly where you are.

"Exceeding 250 knots in VFR flight" - I wish!
Current systems show only ground speed.

Unless of course CASA grab the surveillance recordings from ASA and go through them with a fine tooth comb looking for petty infractions. They wouldn't though, would they? :E