PDA

View Full Version : Instrument "practice" approach / hood flying with safety pilot in Europe

Zonkor
17th Jul 2013, 01:54
I'm looking for a ("cheap" and convenient) way to keep my FAA IR current in Europe (EASA PPL holder, no EASA IR, but FAA IR).

Does EASA regulation allow to shoot "practice approaches" as it's commonly done in the US? instrument approaches under the hood in VFR with a safety pilot ("properly certified", i.e., PPL, no IR required)?

If yes, is an EASA IR required to do hood flying with a safety pilot, or is a PPL sufficient?

Also, where could I find some good info regarding IFR flying in Europe (for general aviation)?

Cusco
17th Jul 2013, 15:35
Also, where could I find some good info regarding IFR flying in Europe (for general aviation)?

You could join PPL/IREurope

PPL/IR Europe - Home (http://www.pplir.org)

Cusco

hvogt
17th Jul 2013, 17:23
Here in Euroland, the rules of the air are still national rules, not EASA rules, so the answer to your question might vary, depending on where you intend to fly.

In Germany, section 18 of the German Aviation Regulation (Luftverkehrs-Ordnung, translation from ENR 1.1 of the AIP) reads:§ 18 Training flights under simulated instrument flight conditions An aircraft shall not be flown under simulated instrument flight conditions unless

dual controls are available and
a second pilot holding a valid pilot licence for the type of aircraft in operation is available at the dual controls. The safety pilot shall observe the airspace; if required, he shall avail himself of the assistance of an observer who is in communication with him.

As you can see, the provision is in line with 3.2.4 of ICAO Annex 2 and shooting practice approaches under the conditions given in your post is possible.