PDA

View Full Version : Is a budget MCC course all that you need?

micro_burst
16th Jul 2013, 14:25
What are peoples views on the expensive 737 MCC courses that are offered versus the more affordable generic simulator (eg. Citation) type courses.

Does it matter what aircraft the course is completed in, and do the airlines even take this into consideration?

I will be looking to start a course somewhere in the London area within the next month, so if anyone has any recommendations for places to go I'd be happy to hear them.

packo1848
16th Jul 2013, 14:37
Its a little further away, but I just finished mine at European Skybus in Bournemouth.

The course is on a 747-400 full-motion sim and costs less than £2000.

Accommodation is available in the area for as little as £75/week.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time there and the instructors were great!

If you want any further details feel free to PM me.

slav4o1
16th Jul 2013, 14:50
Personally I do not believe any airline would take a consideration on what Sim you have done your MCC on. But for your own sake my suggestion is do it on an aircraft that you will most likely fly - 737/A320 and definetely choose an EFIS version just to get yourself getting used to modern aircraft and instrumentation. Bournemouth is great place, so as EUROPEAN but the simulators there are quite old and this is the reason to be cheap - all are analogue. At OAA they do MCC on 737 with EFIS and wasn't that expensive - £2,5k I think it was. I did mine there, but on the CRJ as wanted to go cheaper (it was £2k), still glass cockpit and don't regret doing. Generic simulators e.g Kingair will not differ to the MEP sim you did your IR in, so it will be easier for you but you won't learn new things.

packo1848
16th Jul 2013, 15:13
Just to re-clarify, the sim at European is the 747-400 which is full EFIS, the old analogue 737-200's are in the process of being dismantled and sent to Cardiff at the moment.

slav4o1
16th Jul 2013, 15:21
If you are at this stage, best carrier-wise option actually is to go to CTC. It may sound disgusting , and a rip-off but this is one of the safe routes to start your carrier if you are good. What they do they take 7-8k £ and sell you a JOC as well (which isn't oficially needed) but then if you are good, they have the connections for various UK and other airlines and is highly likely sooner or later to be called for a nice bonded job for a UK operator. I haven't gone there myself and I am not advertising them, its a real shame the industry works like that (only those people get looked at) but unfortunately this is the path that seems to work for a lot of people.

RTN11
16th Jul 2013, 15:23
It makes a difference to your experience level, as a type rating will probably be in a full motion sim so if you can get some exposure to this on your MCC when you're more relaxed, it's a good thing. It certainly helped me.

From the airline's point of view, they probably won't care, an MCC is an MCC and to them you just need the paperwork in place.

pudoc
16th Jul 2013, 15:55
Makes no difference. You use autopilot 95% of the time anyway.

Many people think they'll do it on a full motion 737 or A320 because it will help them with the job search. Utter rubbish. Just do it on something generic. When it comes to an airline assessment they will probably know, they asked me, what aircraft you did your MCC on. On my interview 5 out of 6 did it on a generic sim.

Airline assessments will look at your basic flying skills and CRM skills. Not how well you fly the A320 or B737, unless your typed.

As for the 747-400 full motion sim at Euro Sky Bus. I've heard mainly good things about them, but 2 of my friends that went there were told misleading information about how they must do a full motion MCC to get a job in this "current climate".