PDA

View Full Version : CASA Safety Management System Template

rocket66
15th Jul 2013, 09:45
Gday Crew

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the CASA Safety Management System template on their website. From what I understand you have to email them to "unlock" the template so you can use it and in doing so triggers to them that a new business is being put together. Just cautious about opening a can of worms with them is all.

Cheers
Rocket

Horatio Leafblower
15th Jul 2013, 10:56
Write your own!

The CASA SMS authoring tool is excruciatingly painful to use, and the format is rigid and inflexible.

A SMS must be built to suit the business it serves yet CASA inspectors lack any real expertise to assess the SMS's suitability - if it doesn't match the template they gave you they can't tick the boxes in their assessment forms. :*

When I worked in another industry they had a training department with mandatory written assessments for every piece of equipment. Problem was that the girls in the training department had no idea how to drive or operate the equipment, or what HV transformers were about. So every answer in your written assessment would have to match the model answers word-for-word, otherwise they didn't know if you were right or wrong.

...so the assessors would just dictate the answers and the knuckleheads would copy it and everyone would get their ticket whether they understood it or not:ugh:

rocket66
15th Jul 2013, 12:11
Horatio, ou have just explained what I expected would be.the case. I have never seen an example of one so I might have to hunt one down and take a.look at the way they are written.

Cheers
Rocket:ok:

004wercras
15th Jul 2013, 13:01
Herr Rocket666, also take a look at the ICAO website, it has a generic template which is slightly more user friendly than the CAsA documentation.
The main thing is that you cover off all the elements of the SMS and then put theory into practise, that is where many operators come unstuck.

004/Oleo