PDA

View Full Version : Australia's Unsafe Air Traffic Control System

UAVop
14th Jul 2013, 23:35
ABC AU (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-15/report-finds-major-flaws-in-air-traffic-control-system/4817578)

An internal report into Australia's air traffic control system has found serious deficiencies with the operation, safety and management of the country's skies.

The report, written by Australia's air safety regulator the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and obtained by the ABC, lays out hundreds of incidents, ranging from training shortcomings to mismanagement of staff.

Frustrated by an ever-growing number of serious incidents where the root cause was never properly identified, CASA considered withdrawing Airservices' approval to operate the network.

Stink Finger
15th Jul 2013, 00:39
Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Bob Morane
15th Jul 2013, 00:48
Could those holdings into BNE be caused by lack of staff instead of single runway? Have you ever wondered why after holding prior landing you touch down and look around at the traffic in and out and wonder Where is the traffic !!
Is the separation standard in Oz higher than Europe or the states? Am I looking at this too simplistic !?

15th Jul 2013, 01:12
From Wikipedia

Could those holdings into BNE be caused by lack of staff instead of single runway? Have you ever wondered why after holding prior landing you touch down and look around at the traffic in and out and wonder Where is the traffic !!
Is the separation standard in Oz higher than Europe or the states? Am I looking at this too simplistic !?

Gatwick Airport [nb 1] (IATA: LGW, ICAO: EGKK) is located 3.1 mi (5.0 km) north of the centre of Crawley,[1] West Sussex, and 29.5 mi (47.5 km) south of Central London.[4] Also known as London Gatwick,[5] it is London's second largest international airport and second busiest by total passenger traffic in the United Kingdom after Heathrow.[6] Furthermore, Gatwick is Europe's leading airport for point-to-point flights[nb 2][7] and has the world's busiest single-use runway with up to 53 aircraft movements per hour in late-2012 and a maximum capacity of 55 movements per hour.[8][9] Its two terminals – North and South – cover an area of 98,000 m2 (1,050,000 sq ft) and 160,000 m2 (1,700,000 sq ft) respectively.[10]

In 2012, 34.2 million passengers passed through Gatwick.[11]

From Airservices

In 2011 Brisbane Airport averaged 545 movements a day. Eighteen international airlines operate through Brisbane Airport, but the majority of the traffic consists of medium jets and turbo-props.

From the Brisbane Airport web site

CAUSES

The main cause of delays is the high level of demand for aircraft to land or take off at Brisbane during peak times. Over the last 12 months flights have increased by up to 80 movements per day, totalling up to 700 flights per week day. The recent growth in demand has been driven by unprecedented activity in regional flights, domestic airlines increasing the number of flights available and strong population growth.

Maybe there is room for improvement.

topdrop
15th Jul 2013, 11:57
CASA considered withdrawing Airservices' approval to operate the network. Yeah, I can see it now - CASA withdraw AsA's approval, RPT virtually grounded, CASA board and CEO sacked by Minister. ASA given new approval.
It's not Barrier you are closing down (no offense to Barrier, DK or his pilots).
It just goes to show what a failure of an organisation CASA is. If they need to justifiably close down any long time operating company or ASA, CASA have not done their job before the situation deteriorated to that extent. That's not to mention those closed down that shouldn't have been, for petty, spiteful reasons.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Jul 2013, 15:04
NOTAMN - YBBN Now an AFIZ!!! ALL acft to report at 30 DME.....

With 'Level and intentions'....

:}

Wally Mk2
16th Jul 2013, 00:02
AFIZ???....................sheeeez Griffo yr gotta get out more buddy:E
Funny you know there would prolly be more movements at nightmare Brissy if we drivers did sort it out ourselves:-)

All this is really a sad indictment on what can only be called a 3rd world country in many ways.We have a Govt system that's an expensive joke, a judicial system only there to protect the rapists & murderers first & an Airway system that struggles to handle a few A/C at the same time......ouch!!!! We ain't come far from the caveman days by the looks of things!!:ugh:

Wmk2

Jabawocky
16th Jul 2013, 01:56
Hey Griffo, you have been around long enough to remember this one, is this what you meant in your post above?

This is from the days of CTAF (R)'s and has been seen on many a console much to the displeasure of some management folk.

The post above reminded me of it :E

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/jaba430/AustAirspace_zpse964e473.jpg

We can hope that a recent appointment which seems to have lifted hopes internally will yield some longer term change. So long as change is allowed to take place.

slackie
16th Jul 2013, 03:37
Funny you know there would prolly be more movements at nightmare Brissy if we drivers did sort it out ourselves:-)

Would like to see that....
PILOT A at 30DME north: "ABC, 30DME out and number 1"
PILOT B at 30DME south: "DEF, No I'm number 1"
PILOT C at 30DME west: "GHI, Come on guys, I MUST be number 1"

PILOT A now at 25DME: "ABC, now I'm 20DME so I'm definitely number 1"
PILOT B now at 25DME: "DEF, no... I'm 19DME so I'm in front of you!!"
PILOT C now at 25DME: "GHI, well I'm at 18DME and going much faster so I'm going to be number 1"

etc., etc., etc.....

ATC might not get it right all of the time, but at least there's not much argument over who's where and who follows who?!

Jabawocky
16th Jul 2013, 05:14
922.4 ATC's

OK which one of you lot is Mr/Ms 0.4 :)

Blockla
16th Jul 2013, 06:09
922.4 ATC's How many are truly operational, not ATC supervisors who could potentially dust off a headset, aren't currently in the school instructing, aren't in procedures development, aren't in future systems, projects or other type of secondment? I'd guess deduct at least 70 people in other roles, possibly more.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th Jul 2013, 08:25
"ABBASOLUTELY" Mr Jabadawocky......

NIL services for the G/A bretheren these days (OCTA).....:{

Pretty much on de console display - just like the letter from you-can-guess-who, to the Director of the time, complaining that he was kept waiting toooo loong at BK for his clearance, in de jet, so he went (Wait for it)...OCTA out of BK to CB, and got 'excellent service' "all the way - OCTA"....:}

We know it was written tongue in cheek to chide the man that he should be able to provide a better service than that which was provided on the day.....
But, t'was displayed on 'many' consoles.
Still, it did bring a smile to all who read it.:p

If it weren't rainin' and blowin' in de West - I'd go fishin...

Cheers:ok:

004wercras
22nd Jul 2013, 01:06
Interesting article by Creedy below;

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://m.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/airservices-australia-staffing-raises-concerns/story-e6frg95x-1226681590439)

* So CASA suddenly takes interest in ASA. Why?
* 35 recommendations from CAsA. Is this commensurate with the fact that they spent years doing nil oversight of them?
* The union highlights there is still a strong reliance on overtime and ATC numbers are still about 10% below where they should be.

And in the article above Senator X once again smashes the nail on the head when he says he is concerned as to 'why the situation was allowed to get to the point it had". Bravo Senator Bravo. This is the underlying and continuing problem with CAsA, they are completely reactive and only react when the wheels have fallen off or internal deficiencies see the light of day. Once again we have a mopping up work to be done due to CAsA's incompetence. When will the top floor of CAsA be gotten rid of??